- Diet & Weight Loss
The Dash Diet More Than A Weight Loss Progam - It Can Also Lower High Blood Pressure!
Because there are so many diets around that make empty promises of fast, quick, weight loss, it is great to come across a program that has been voted the "Best diet overall" and "Healthiest diet"; a weight loss plan that lives up to its promises.
What Is The Dash Diet
It is a balanced eating program created by physicians that has been proven to improve health, and is especially recommended for people with high blood pressure by the National Institutes of Health (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension). It is a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains, lean meats, fish, poultry, low fat or nonfat dairy.
The benefits of following the Dash Diet are numerous and includes:
- Lowering high blood pressure and cholesterol
- Lowering the risk of several types of cancer
- Heart disease
- Stroke, heart failure
- Kidney stones, and
- Reduces the risk of developing diabetes
How The Dash Diet Work
There are different eating plans to choose from depending on the number of calories you consume on a normal daily basis. For those who regularly eat a daily diet of 1600 to 3100 calories here is the diet you should follow:
- 6-12 daily servings of grains
- 4-6 daily servings of fruits
- 4-6 daily servings of vegetables
- 2-4 daily servings of low fat or non fat
- 1.5-2.5 daily servings of lean meats, fish or poultry
- 3-6 weekly servings of nuts, seeds and legumes
- 2-4 weekly servings of fat and sweets
Daily diet for a daily consumption of 2000 calories is:
- 6-8 daily servings of grains
- 4-5 daily servings of vegetables
- 4-5 daily servings of fruits
- 2-3 daily servings of low fat/non-dairy
- 2-3 daily servings of lean meats/fish/poultry
- 4-5 weekly servings of nuts/seeds/legumes
- 5 or less weekly servings of fats/sweets
- 2-3 daily servings of fats/oils
10 Dash Diet Tips
It's always a little difficult when starting a new way of eating to implement and sustain it long term. For example, the average American consumes about 2 - 3 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, so following the DASH diet may take extra effort on your part.
Try these directions they will help make the diet easier to follow:
- Gradually ease yourself into the diet
- Spilt your daily servings throughout the day, say into 4 servings. Avoid eating all the daily servings in just one meal
- Always read the food label and choose food products of that are lowest in saturated fat.
- Add fruits to cereals or to desserts
- When choosing canned fruit ensure that they are pack in their own juice
- When cooking vegetables cook them without salt
- Considerably reduce your salt intake
- Use natural nuts not salted ones
- Alcohol should be kept to a minimum
- If you take high blood pressure medication continue to do so as prescribed.
A Note for Women:
Whilst on the Dash Diet many women will need to follow a lower calorie diet in order to lose weight. The book includes a 1200-calorie version for you to follow.
Overall the Dash Diet is beneficial to everyone and will help you lose weight as well as achieve optimum health.