The Healing Power of Nuts
Are Nuts Really Healthy?
Believe it or not nuts are one of the healthiest natural foods there is. Yes, they are high in in fat and calories but if you can control the amount you eat they are a great part of a healthy diet. Rccomended amounts for serving of nuts is 1 ounce. For most people they are like potato chips - you can't eat just one.
Facts About Nuts
- Just one ounce of almonds contains more fiber than a cup of strawberries.
- Eating nuts can help reduce the risk of developing blood clots.
- Macadamia nuts contain the highest level of monounsaturated fat of any nut.
- People who eat nuts regularly have a lower risk of heart disease.
- Peanuts are a great source of B vitamins.
- Brazil may play an important role in helping to prevent breast cancer.
- Walnuts is one of the bet sources of omega-3 fatty acids, outside of fish.
- Nuts are rich in fiber and therefore fill you up faster.
- Pistachios contain a high level of magnesium which helps to control blood pressure.
- Almonds are one of the best sources of vitamin E.
- Peanuts contain all eight amino acids we need for a healthy diet.
- Nuts are high in omega-3 which lower LDL cholesterol.
- Brazil nuts contains more selenium than any other food.
- Cashews contain a significant amount of iron which is essential for proper red blood cell function.
- The six healthiest nuts are walnuts, pecans, cashews, macadamia nuts, Brazil nuts, and almonds.
Advantages of Eating Nuts
Nuts lower the risk of...
- gall stones
- macular degeneration
- type 2 diabetes
Calories and Protein in Nuts
Brazil Nuts, raw
Cashews, dry roasted
Macadamia, dry roasted
Peanuts, dry roasted
pistachios, dry roasted
Pumpkin seeds, dry roasted
Sunflower seeds, dry roasted
Fresh Pinenut Basil Pesto Sauce
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts
3 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Combine basil and pine nuts in food processor and pulse a few times.
Add garlic and pulse a few times.
Slowly, continuously add olive oil until blended.
Scrap sides with rubber spatula.
Add grated cheese and pulse until blended.
Add salt and pepper until blended.
Pesto is great served on pasta, noodles, baked potatoes, or spread on your favorite bagel chips or baguette slices.
Makes 1 cup.
Pumpkin seed mix
3 egg whites
2 tsp water
2 cans (12 oz each) dry roasted peanuts
1 cup whole blanched almonds
1 cup unroasted walnuts halves
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
3/4 tsp salt substitute
1 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 300 degree.
Spray 2 cookie sheets with spray oil.
Beat egg whites and water until light and frothy.
Add nuts and seeds, stir gently to coat.
Combine sugar, spices and salt to nut mixture stirring gently to coat.
Gently fold in raisins.
Spread onto cookie sheets, bake for 20 to 25 minutes stirring every 10 minutes.
Cool, then store in an airtight container.
Makes 10 cups.
Chicken Almond Salad
3 cups cook brown and wild rice
2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
3 tbsp. golden raisins
1/4 cup sweet white onions, diced
2 cups cooked chicken breast, chopped
1/2 cup whole roasted almonds
Combine all ingredients and store in refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.
Light Orange Dressing:
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup orange juice
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/3 tsp crazy mixed up salt
Combine all ingredient and whisk until blended.
Toss salad and dressing and enjoy.
Makes 4 servings.
- The Natural History Of A Nut Tree
What is a nut? Nutritionally, it is among the most valuable of all the fruits we eat. Yes, a nut is considered a fruit. When the fruit of a tree, or a shrub is enclosed in a bony, woody, or leathery covering that does not open when ripe, it is common
- Nut Burgers with Shiitake Mushrooms: a Gluten Free R...
A very tasty recipe for gluten free nut burgers that is high in nutrients, good for anyone with high cholesterol and reduces your risk of developing diabetes. Includes nutritional information.
- Thai Stir Fried Tofu with Cashew Nuts - An Easy and ...
A quick and very easy Thai vegetarian recipe. Everybody loves stir fried tofu with cashew nuts, and you can make it in about 10 minutes!
- Kukui Nut Oil
There are a variety of exotic oils to be found in the skin care aisle today. It can be a bit intimidating to say the least. We are familiar with some, others we wouldn't know if they were sitting right in...