The Health Benefits Of Grapefruit
Benefits of Grapefruit Juice for the Skin and Body
Grapefruit is a rather interesting hybrid between the two citrus species, pomelo and the common sweet orange. It gets its name from the way it grows in clusters just like grapes. Grapefruits are best suited to warm sub-tropical and oceanic type climates where temperatures do not go below freezing, though an occasional frost or two; doesn’t do any harm. It is a popular fruit grown in southern states of the US like California, Florida and Texas, South China, and West Asia.
The skin of a grapefruit is thicker than an orange and can’t be peeled by hand. On the inside, it is segmented like a tangerine. The juice has a fresh citrus odour and is sweet, sour and slightly bitter. The inside of the fruit may be pink, white or even red. Grapefruits are grown in both seedless and seeded varieties.
Nutrients in Grapefruit Juice:
The juice of grapefruit contains Vitamin A, Vitamin C, beta carotene, especially the pink and red ones; as well as lycopenes. Vitamin A helps in improving vision and maintaining keen eyesight. Vitamin C is known for its antioxidant and infection fighting properties. They also contain numerous other chemicals such as limonene, terpens and flavonoids. In addition it contains Vitamin B derivatives such as thiamine, niacin, riboflavin, and pyridoxine and other minerals such as calcium, potassium, phosphorus and iron. One serving of grapefruit also provides 30% of the daily requirement of soluble dietary fibre. The various macro and micronutrients contained in grapefruit, contribute to its numerous health benefits.
Benefits of drinking grapefruit juice:
- Grapefruit juice helps you lose weight by limiting carbohydrate absorption by the body. One serving of grapefruit a day helps regulate the body's carbohydrate metabolism and control your weight.
- Grapefruits are low in sodium so they can be eaten by patients of hypertension. The high water percentage helps to keep you hydrated.
- Dieticians recommend overweight people to include at least one grapefruit in their breakfast. There is evidence to prove that consumption of grapefruit juice lowers insulin formation. This ensures that instead of converting glucose to glycogen, it is utilized to power your activities.
- Grapefruit is suitable for diabetics too, as it has a low calorie content of only about 38 calories per 100 gm. While on a diet, the soluble fibre of grapefruit pulp keeps you feeling full without adding significant calories.
- Grapefruit juice has flavonoids. They are anti-oxidants and help the body resist carcinogens. The high fibre and pectin content of grapefruit pulp scours the colon and prevents colon cancer.
- The Vitamin A found in grapefruits protects the consumer from cancers of the lung and mouth.
- Lycopene, which is a carotene pigment found in pink and red grapefruits helps the body fight naturally against malignant tumours and cleans the body of harmful free radicals. Together with Vitamin A and C, it helps protect the body from infection and disease.
- Grapefruit contains beta carotene, xanthin and lutein, which help maintain good vision and reverse the effects of aging.
- Vitamin C prevents gum bleeding and loose teeth. It also gives respite from a wide range of respiratory diseases like wheezing, shortness of breath and a chronic cough.
How Grapefruit Juice can Help Lower Cholesterol:
LDL Cholesterol is the main cause of artery blockage, and heart diseases. Millions of patients across the globe suffer from high cholesterol and problems caused by it. The antioxidants found in grapefruit help in reducing the cholesterol level. Studies have shown that having the freshly squeezed juice of grapefruit daily, decreases cholesterol; even without taking any medicine. In lab conducted studies, it was shown that grapefruit was successful in decreasing cholesterol levels by up to 17% and triglyceride count by 20%.
By keeping the heart healthy and the arteries unblocked, it reduces the risk of heart disease. Moreover, the limonoids present in grapefruit are detoxifying agents that help the liver get rid of its waste. A detoxified liver means a detoxified body. In addition, naringenin, a phytonutrient in grapefruit enables the liver to utilize fat and not store it.
Overall, it can be safely said that consuming two grapefruits daily will protect your body from a wide range of problems. It will reverse the aging process and shield you from illnesses and infections. It is an effective way to protect your health from the ravages of a stressful lifestyle and habits that take a toll on your health.
- The caveman diet (Lose weight fast!)
Lose weight fast with this high protein & low carbohydrate diet. Train your body to find its inner animal instincts, and train it to love and crave healthy foods, and to make dieting second nature!
- Low carb diet (Lose 30-40 lbs in 2 months)
Lose 30-40 lbs in 2 months on this low carbohydrate diet! This diet is not for the feint of heart and requires willpower, determination and dedication, but drives HUGE results when followed!
- The health benefits of Lime Water
Lime juice & Lime water, keep your liver healthy, keep your body refreshed and lose weight, all by adding this one ingredient to your daily water intake! Start keeping your body healthy!
- Foods you should be eating, for a healthier lifestyl...
Foods you should be eating to increase your over all health, well being, frame of mind, and most importantly, diet. Lose weight by just consuming