The Health Benefits Of Pomegranate
Do You Know The Health Benefits Of Pomegranate?
Pomegranates are considered as one of the oldest fruits; cultivated in human civilization. They were first grown in ancient Persia, while their health benefits were recognized by the medicine men and general populace alike. The Romans get the credit of naming it “Pomegranate” that turns out to be “seed apple” in the Latin language. They planted its seedlings all across the empire, while Spain fell in love with this fruit and they named Granada city after it; as per few historians.
Later the fruit paved its way to India, where the juice extracted from it was used to cure many ills. Now the modern researchers have discovered that there is more to this fruit than met the previous assumptions. This fruit contains excellent antioxidants that are necessary for good health and longevity. The researchers have been referring to the writings and the details mentioned by the ancient Indian “Ayurvedic” specialists about the fruit.
Nutritional information about Pomegranate
It is essential to understand the nutritional value of pomegranate before going any further into the details. This fruit has no fat, while it is absolutely low on sugar. There is 80 calories in every 100 gram of serving, but it still has fibre worth 5 grams in it; whereas it gives 15% Vitamin C to the consumer. The juice is mostly favoured by the consumers, which is equally popular as the fruit, but since it is more concentrated the calorie is a bit higher. The juice has 120 calories in each 8 ounce of serving.
Just the same as the whole pomegranate, the juice is absolutely rich in all the antioxidants, while this applies to the pomegranate juice; but not to sweetened mixture or the simple syrup that is mostly known as grenadine.
Micronutrients, Minerals and Vitamins in Pomegranates
Like many other fruits, Pomegranate is rich in Vitamin C. It also contains Vitamin K, B9. B5, while Zinc and Potassium tops the list of the vital minerals; which this fruit and its juice deliver. Let’s check the break-up of these essential elements that benefit the body.
- Vitamin K: Those people who do not get Vitamin K, does risk developing osteoporosis, as well as they could bruise themselves easily. This is mostly found in green vegetables that are dark in colour, while mostly leafy. It becomes much palatable, whilst it is packaged in the pomegranate seeds. The complete juice and seeds of pomegranate contains nearly 10% of daily allowance of an adult’s Vitamin K requirement.
- Vitamin B9: It is known mostly as Folic acid or Folate, which strengthens the neural tube in babies. In fact, adults need it to create good blood cells in their body and repair the DNA. Single serving of the pomegranate seeds has 10% of B9 of its entire weight, for the consumer.
- Vitamin B5: Known mostly by Pantothenic acid, this vitamin is necessary for nerve function and healthy skin. It is a significant dietary requirement, which works as a micronutrient that aids in prevention from adrenal insufficiency, insulin resistance and muscle cramping.
Antioxidant properties of Pomegranates
The deep red colour of this fruit delivers more to the consumer, than mere plate appeal. The garnet hue of Pomegranate signifies that is provides a rich supply of Phytochemicals, which is an antioxidant. These natural substance prevent the body from the damages caused by free radicals, which is directly associated with the cells that cause cancer. Though, antioxidant has not been found to cure diseases, but it sure works as preventive medication.
It is true that many varieties of food and fruits have antioxidants in them, but this in particular has a related set of Punicalagins compound to it. This has the same capacity as an antioxidant, as any other, but it actually seeks out the free radicals to reduce the possibilities of lung cancer, breast cancer and prostate cancer. On the other hand, the juice has 2,860 units of antioxidant capacity for every 100 grams. This could be very well compared to the Goji berries, Prune juice and the Melon juice.
Overall, the health benefits of Pomegranate can’t be understated or compared to anything else because in its entirety; it is an excellent and natural source of antioxidants and vitamins.
- Foods you should be eating, for a healthier lifestyl...
Foods you should be eating to increase your over all health, well being, frame of mind, and most importantly, diet. Lose weight by just consuming
- The caveman diet (Lose weight fast!)
Lose weight fast with this high protein & low carbohydrate diet. Train your body to find its inner animal instincts, and train it to love and crave healthy foods, and to make dieting second nature!
- The Military Diet
Lose up to 10lbs per week while on a healthy, and proven diet!
- The health benefits of Lime Water
Lime juice & Lime water, keep your liver healthy, keep your body refreshed and lose weight, all by adding this one ingredient to your daily water intake! Start keeping your body healthy!