The Hidden Killer - Chronic Inflammation
Heart disease and cancer are the two major causes of death in many countries, including the United States. But do you know what do these diseases have in common? Chronic inflammation (CI)! Study after study have found that CI is at the root of not just these dreaded illnesses but also many neurological and autoimmune diseases. Hence, it would not be an overstatement to say that CI has reached an epidemic proportion! Unfortunately, it is also grossly overlooked, even by professional health care providers.
What is Chronic Inflammation?
Inflammation is part of our healing process that helps us to recover from wounds and diseases. When it occurs, chemicals are produced to attack bacteria, viruses and microscopic intruders which may be harmful to us. But when inflammation fails to turn off and continues to produce fighting chemicals even when there are no enemies in sight, these overzealous fighters will start to turn against us instead.
Take the CI Quiz
How we live our life determines whether or not we are promoting CI in our body. Here is a short quiz to help you find out whether your existing lifestyle is slowly turning you into a potential victim of chronic diseases:
- Are you angry, anxious, depressed, stressed and/or worried for most parts of the week?
- Do you usually find yourself not fully rested, tired or even weak every morning?
- Are you exposed to polluted water or air regularly?
- Is your weight more than what it should be?
- Is there a layer of fat accumulated around your waist or hips?
- Do you exercise less than three times a week? (Each session is considered 30 minutes or longer.)
- Do you use polyunsaturated vegetable oil such as corn, cottonseed, safflower, soybean, or sunflower as your main cooking oil?
- Is your diet lacking of omega-3 fatty acids such as those found in seafood? (Generally, healthy adults are recommended to eat at least 2 portions of fish each week)
- Do you consume foods prepared in hydrogenated (fully or partially) or polyunsaturated vegetable oil frequently?
- Do you regularly consume highly processed or refined foods, or foods that are high in sugar and/or artificial additives, like commercial pastries, biscuits, desserts, cakes, white bread, white rice, potato chips, fast foods, snacks, sodas and other sugary beverages?
- Are you currently suffering from any food allergies or food intolerance?
If you answer ‘yes’ to one or more of the questions, then you may be unknowingly powering a smoldering factory that pumps out inflammatory chemicals 24X7. Since CI is a low-grade inflammation, it usually has no telling symptom or pain. That's why it often remains undetected for years until it manifests into one of the dreaded diseases that plagued many unsuspecting victims.
There is Hope!
But don't despair. You can do something to stop the factory of death. Start by adopting the right diet and begin exercising three times a week. Learn to manage stress well and maintain a healthy weight.
CI is not an inevitable condition. At TheConsciousLife.com, you can find more in-depth resources on how to reduce inflammation with natural anti inflammatory foods.You will also learn how to lead a conscious and holistic lifestyle with effective techniques like meditation and visualization to stay relaxed and develop your inner potential. Hope to see you there!