The Magical Power of Garlic
The therapeutic qualities of garlic are nothing new.Sanskrist records show that garlic remedies were used to cure infections in India 5,000 years ago,while Chinese medicine has specifically recognized its powers for more than 3,000 years.
Garlic is one of the oldest known medicinal plants in the world and had been used in fighting a plethora of ailments such as heart diseases,lowering blood pressure,helping to fight-off colds,among others.When garlic cloves are chewed,crushed or cut,they release a sulfur-bearing compound called allicin-the chemical that gives garlic it's pungent taste and smell.It is this allicin that scientists have discovered is the magic ingredient thought to be responsible for the therapeutic qualities of garlic.
Modern researches on garlic have concentrated on its ability to lower cholesterol and blood pressure as well as offering protection against stroke and various heart diseases. It has been shown that taking garlic tablets and supplements could cut the incidence of stroke by between 30-40% while heart diseases could be reduced by 20-25%. Garlic also helps the body to fight off infections. These antibacterial qualities were discovered in the 19th century during an outbreak of infectious fever, English priests caught the fever but the French priests, who ate garlic every day, remained healthy and free from infection.
Garlic increases the anti-oxidant enzymes in the blood, helps against the damaging effects
of nicotine and slows the aging process of the liver.
Removing Garlic Breath
If you want to enjoy the health benefits of garlic and still want to avoid the notorious “Garlic breath”, you may do any of the following:
- You can take odorless garlic supplements, capsules or tablets.
- Dice one garlic clove into two then take it like you are taking a pill. This might notwork for everybody but it sure works for me.
- Having one or two tablespoons of raw parsley after eating garlic can remove thesmelly breath of garlic.
- Eat fennel or cardamom seeds after eating garlic.
Some things to note
- Be careful about taking too much as it can irritate your digestive system
- One clove a day will improve your health, two –three cloves will prevent a cold.
- Don’t microwave garlic as this kills the active ingredients.
- Garlic works best when combined with a healthy balanced diet.
- When cooking garlic wait till the last 10 minutes of cooking to add the garlic.
- Garlic supplements may interact with certain drugs such as anti-coagulants.
So, take some garlic today and make it an habit.