- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions»
- Chronic Pain
The Benefits of Turmeric, Curcumin in the Treatment of Many Conditions. A Natural Antibiotic, and Pain releiver
Curcumin Gold contains piperine, thereby increasing its effects, and bioavailability.
Turmeric is a spice that is found in curry. Belongs to the ginger family of . Science has isolated it's active compound, Curcumin. Curcumin has been tested in over 3000 clinical trials, and pre trials. Among the findings for this amazing supplement is its ability to prohibit spicescancer, and the spreading of carcinogens.
Turmeric is classified as an anti inflammatory, and analgesic. The spice blocks Cox 2, which is a chemical that is involved in pain. It works much in the same way as NSAIDS, such as ibuprofen, and Aleve, as well as many prescriptive meds do. Without the ringing in the ears, and other side effects of synthetic pain killers. Has been found to be non toxic, with little side effects, and well tolerated. Even at doses as high as 2200mg.
In resent research it has been found that it targets many other pathways, that lead to , and conditions involving Diseasesinflammation. Among the many papers, studies, and dissertations that I read, it shows promise in many different fields of medicine, and prevention.
Due to it's anti inflammatory, anti septic, anti infective properties, including fungus, bacteria, and viral properties it has been found to be effective in the treatment of many diseases. It had a moderate effect on hepatis B, as well as infectious arthritis. (pubmed, august 2010)
Curcumin was also found to lower insulin levels, and prevent diabetes, in those who where pre diabetic. Had a direct effect on obesity, diabetes, and diabetic neuropathy pain, as well. By blocking the pain, and increasing circulation.
In a recent dissertation, (national institutes of health, march 2011) that summarizes all the targets of Curcumin, was found to be a very effective compound in many different applications, of disease and illness. Among them are the following:
- Inhibited tobacco associated carcinogens in the lungs, and oral cavities.
- Blocks epidermal growth factor, which is implemented in psoriasis, and cancer. The growth factor is its abilty to replicate, and grow, or spread. Examples of cancers that are incouraged by EPGF include breast, lung, colon, head, and neck cancers. These pathways play a critical role in cancers ability to spread, and survive.
- It significantly blocked lung, breast, and prostrate cancer, as well as pancreatic cancer. By blocking estrogen would be helpful in cervical, as well as breast cancer. It has the abilty to block androgen, a male hormone, and inhibit its growth.
- Also inhibited cell migration, and shows promise in inhibiting Lymphoma, luekemia, and RA.
- With its direct effect on immune function, and its ability to modulate killer t cells, as well as other immune functions, it has been found to be helpful in many auto immune diseases. Among them are MS, RA, asthma, psoriasis, Lupus, and cancer. Much in the same way as synthetic steroids do.
Current trials are underway, using Cur cumin for the treatment of Alzheimer's. The brain of Alzheimer's patients have been found to contain high amounts of metals. With Curcumins abilty to bind copper, and iron, it shows great promise in the treatment of Alzheimer's Disease, along with high doses of Omega 3 fatty acids, such as fish oil. Metal chelation is currently used in many clinical settings in the treatment of this disease.
No toxicity was found at any dose. Even as high as 2200mg. Due to its low absorption it must be combined with piperine, to be effective. By adding piperine, increases the availability by 2000%. Piperine is the active ingredient in black, and white pepper.
Must be why Curcumin is called Indian Gold.
Pubmed/national institute of health, March 2011, article# PMC3025067
Pubmed article, august 2010
pubmed article July 15, 2009
Dr Teitalbaum, on Curcumin
- artist101 on HubPages
I served in a pharmacy for many years. I saw and read what prescriptions did to my customers. At the time, in my young mind, I didn't understand...
Jacob Teitelbaum, MD, is a board certified internal medicine physician and researcher, widely recognized as an innovative leader in complementary health care, and medical director at the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Centers. He divides his time between Virginia and Hawaii.
Other Products in the treatment of Pain
A natural sweetner.
Hops is also used as a sedative, (calming agent) for anxiety, and nervousness