The best mosquito repellent ever
No more mosquitoes
I believe some of the neighbors invite me to their garden parties simply as skeeter bait. When no one else is bothered by these little winged bloodsuckers, they are swarming me!
Ever the skeptic, ThermaCell sent this product for me to try. Stowing it in my garden basket allowed me to work outside in the garden until dark without slapping myself silly.
I even invited a number of neighbors over for dinner on the patio. We were able to eat outside without being eaten alive by mosquitoes. NO ONE was swatting at flies or mosquitoes. Just imagine a dinner outside with our annoying flies.
There are peak hours for mosquito bites. Avoid outdoor activity during the hour of dawn and dusk, when mosquitoes are most active. That's where
Using a ThermaCell lantern, I think "this may be the first quiet evening of reading outside, on the patio, I have ever enjoyed" .
I've planted dozens mosquito repelling plants, carted home shopping bags of citronella candles, lamps and home remedy known to mankind.
No more flying insects
Perfect for Hunters
Mosquito self protection
Here are a few mosquito deterrents that worked for me:
- Fans work – they blow those mosquito lightweights away. But they do nothing for your hair style or wispy summer scarves. You will have to shout over the noise and all your cocktail napkins will be blown into the neighbor's yard.
- Campfires work – you can smoke'm out. This requires huddling around a blazing campfire, some choking, weepy eyes and continuously feeding the fire. Even if you don't singe your hair, rest assured people will ask if something is burning every time you walk in the room for the next week.
- Mosquito zappers work – but they seem to attract more pests than there were in the first place. At the end of the evening the area below the zapper is an unsightly little pile of fried bugs.
- Direct application products that work – (but you won't smell so good) must include the following active ingredients:
Picaridin - such as Cutter Advanced, Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus
Deet – can be applied to the skin or to clothing, product registered to 39 different manufacturers including Off!
Oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE) or PMD like Repel and Off! Botanicals
IR3535 including Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus Expedition and SkinSmart
- ThermaCell really works - It is great, easy to find, never fails to work when used as directed. I love this product. The only drawback is that it is pricey. For special occasions, an evening soiree, a must-work- until-dark gardening day. This is the best product against mosquitoes that I've tried.
The ThermaCELL® covers a 15' x 15' area (225 square-feet). That is the size of an average deck or patio. So there's no need to spray Deet or other stinky insect repellents on everyone.
Allethrin, a repellent that naturally occurs in chrysanthemum flowers is the repellent that sends the mosquitoes flying. It will not hurt other plants, people or pets. Allethrin repels mosquitoes, black flies, and no-see-ums.
ThermaCELL® was tested by the Department of Defense, Armed Forces Pest Management Board in Costa Rica and the Department of Defense, Walter Reed Army Institute of Research in Korea. Field tests worked on mosquitoes, other biting insects and black flies.
Butane cartridges provide heat that activates the unit. The heat is directed to a metal grill where a small mat, saturated with repellent, sits. As the heat vaporizes the repellent rises into the air.
ThermaCell is easy to find, you can get it at Ace Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot, Bass Pro, or big box stores. Check their web for a locator map.
Just one ThermaCELL
Make mosquitoes homeless
Reduce the Problem - decrease the number of mosquitoes around your home by removing standing water.
- Empty children's wading pools
- Unclog and clear roof gutters
- Get rid of old and unused tires
- If your fire pit collects water, empty it now
- Remove empty outdoor flowerpots that collect water
- Refresh birdbaths every week
- Turn over wheelbarrows
- Drain pool covers and tarps
Now I can sit outside and have my morning coffee, or end the long summer day on the porch swing with my sweetie. ThermaCELL® gave me back the best parts of a summer day.
Does it work?
Ever skeptical, I tried the Bug Button. When I pinned 1 button on my shirt, like a campaign button, it did work, sort of. But when I pinned the other button on my sock at ankle level I was relatively 'sketer proof.
Each button is said to last 180 hours. That's about two weekends or so. When you come in and take to button off, seal it back into the original container and then I put that in a small zip lock bag.
So, did it work for me? I'd have to answer, usually. The buttons worked best when I wore 2; one on my shirt and one on an anklet.
The good thing is, when wearing the buttons, the repellent travels with you. Where ever you go, so does your protection.
The bottom line
Will I buy Bug Buttons again? Yes, I will. They work for me. I am looking for the technology to get better and longer lasting. It's a pricey solution, considering how long the mosquito season is here straddling the Ozarks and the Mississippi Delta.
I hate the feel and smell of insect repellants. This little yellow button may become my favorite summer jewelry. I've used on a hike in the National Forest, a day of crawling around and weeding/gardening, and at patio picnics. There are the occasional
The button has three natural imported plant oils embedded in the pin. It creates a veritable bug barrier that keeps working for hours. Keep in a zipper storage bag between uses. Their web site http://bugbutton.com/ claims to be effective for more than 175 hours.
I bought my Bug Buttons at Spray n Grow because I've always had success with this company and their products.