The health benefits of meditation
Different Methods of Meditation
There are more than one method of meditation. There are many methods, including:
Which form of meditation do you use?
Meditation is considered to be a complimentary and alternative therapy. It consists of a mind-body connection that has been used for health purposes since around 1500 B.C. Meditation uses the mind and the body, puts them in a state of total relaxation and is said to heal many disorders.
Meditation, if done properly, promotes total relaxation of the body and mind. This is said to help in the prevention of disease. The mind is a powerful tool and can be used to treat many conditions. Some research has shown that by using the power of the mind (meditation) some people have been able to treat their cancer, decrease the size of their tumors and actually cure other diseases.
Researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston learned that the cerebral cortex, a brain region associated with attention and memory, was thicker in people who meditated regularly. The cerebral cortex thins with age, which could be linked with memory loss.
Researchers have proven that meditation is a simple, safe therapy that balances your emotional, physical and psychological well-being. Doctors are now becoming more aware of the many benefits of meditation and are using more and more for their patients health. A doctor may prescribe meditation along with conventional medications for the treatment of some disorders such as fibromyalgia, chronic pain and depression.
Meditation has many health benefits, with the main benefit being stress relief. The many other health benefits of meditation are:
- Helps promote heart health and decreases the risk of heart disease
- Enhances brain function and may prevent memory loss
- Speeds recovery after illness or surgery
- Helps the body fights off chronic conditions, like arthritis
- Increases lung capacity, if done right
- Stimulates the immune system and the production of white blood cells
- Provides relief of chronic pain and pain conditions such as fibromyalgia
- Helps lower high blood pressure
- Increase blood circulation to the skin, digestive tract and the brain
- Relieves anxiety and decreases episodes of panic attacks
- Promotes weight loss
- Reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease
- Decreases the severity of depression
- Enhances mood and self esteem
- Promotes sleep and decreases insomnia
- Increase serotonin in the brain, which increases happiness and well-being
- Can help build self confidence and self esteem
Meditation continues to be promising in the treatment of many disorders and diseases, including those mentioned above. Meditation promotes health and well-being by reducing activation of the sympathetic nervous system, which dilates blood vessels and reduces stress hormones like adrenalin, noradrenalin and cortisol.
Before starting meditation, you should consult your doctor to make sure it's a proper treatment for your condition. Also seek out an expert in meditation to show you the correct way to meditate.
© 2011 freefogging