The multiple benefits of Tomatoes.
Highest consumed vegetable in the world.
Origin of the humble Tomato.
Solanum lycopersicum or the Tomato plant was discovered around 700 A.D. in western south America and central America. It gained popularity in Europe around the 16th century.Till the 18th century, it was considered to be a fruit and later came to be regarded as a vegetable.It shot into the limelight when the first pizza was made in Italy using the 3 colours in the national flag, of red (tomato),green and white.Ever since the tomato went on to be an integral part of kitchens the world over.
Tomato and carrot smoothie.
Tomato and carrot smoothie.
Lemon juice-1tbsp (optional)
Tabasco (to taste)
Ice cubes (optional)
Wash tomatoes and lightly peel the carrots and apple.
Puree tomatoes with carrots and/or apple in a blender/mixer.I like my smoothie thick so i just scrape the carrots and leave the peel half intact.
You can add ice cubes or tomato juice for a thinner consistency.
Add a dash of tabasco/lemon juice or some salt for flavour.Serve in a glass.
Benefits of tomato eating.
- It has a high water content , hence it fills you up faster.
- It is a source of fiber.
- It protects against high blood pressure, cholesterol, heart disease and stroke.
- It helps in breaking down LDL or the bad cholesterol as well as the Niacin(B3) found in the tomato juice is helpful in combatting cholesterol.
- The B6 in tomatoes helps in breaking down Homocystene , which otherwise damages heart walls causing heart disease.
- It regulates blood pressure due to the presence of Chromium.
- Tomatoes also prevent night blindness and help in some cases of muscular degeneration.Hence they are good for the eyes also.
- They contain bioflavonoids and carotenoids which have anti-inflammatory properties and thus can help in reducing or eliminating chronic or other pain.
- Tomatoes when regularly eaten without seeds, also prevent formation of kidney and gall stones in the human body.
Cottage cheese, tomato and chilly salad.
Tomatoes- chopped (2)
Cottage cheese-250 gms, chopped into square bite sized pieces.
Green chilly- chopped (to taste)
Mix the tomatoes with the cottage cheese. Add green chilly if you want some spice and serve raw.
You can add raw finely washed and chopped capsicum to the salad or any other raw vegetable you so desire.
You can also season it with salt/pepper, tabasco or yoghurt based dressing.
Do you eat tomatoes?
More on tomatoes:
- Tomatoes are usually red and certain varieties are yellowish-red, in my part of the world.
- The greater the red, the higher the amount of betacarotene and lycopene present.
- Lycopene is antioxidant in nature, thus preventing our cells and organs from oxidation or oxygen damage.
- It also has cancer fighting properties, helping in preventing cancer of the pancreas,prostate,lung and breast in both men and women.
- It is versatile and is used in cooking foods in almost every country in the world.It can be used in soups, salads, gravies, salsa, smoothies, pasta and vegetable preparation.
- It has antiseptic properties and is great for dissolving gallstones.It also prevents haemorrhages in the body due to the Vitamin k that is present.
- The Lycopene also protects us from fine lines and wrinkles caused be UV sun exposure and also helps keep osteoporosis at bay.
- Tomato acts as a blood purifier and when consumed regularly adds a glow and helps clear our skin, as well as our system.
Removing tomato stains from clothes.
- Check the label and send for drycleaning if required. Else,if removing the stain at home blot the stain first with a clean sponge or cloth.
- Apply stain remover for a minute and check.
- Proceed with immersing the stained part in laundery detergent for 30 minutes.
- Wash off normally.
- For stubborn stains try using chlorine bleach on white shirts and oxygenated bleach on coloured shirts.
Vitamins and minerals in the Tomato.
It is a good source of:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B1
- Vitamin B2
- Vitamin B3
- Vitamin B5
Benefis of Lycopene,Coumaric acid and Chlorogenic acid found in tomatoes
Prevents cancer of the stomach, prostate, mouth, esophagus, pharynx, cervical, colon and rectal.It also increases bone mass and protects from the harmful rays of the sun.
Coumaric acid and chlorogenic acid
Blocks the effect of Nitrosamines in the human body, thus reducing chances of lung cancer.Hence greatly beneficial for smokers
Tomato, chilly and corn soup.
Tomatoes- 2 (finely chopped)
Green chilly- 1 chopped
Chicken flavoured soup cubes- 2
Corn- 1/2 cup (pre cooked /tinned)
Boil the chicken soup cubes in 3 cups water. I like my soup light and thin , but if you prefer thick soup then take 2 cups water instead of 3. Add previously cooked or tinned corn and stir for 5 minutes so that the flavour is absorbed.
Add tomatoes and stir for 5 minutes.I don't like the taste of pureed tomato in chicken soup base,so i use finely chopped tomato and don't overcook.
Add green chilly according to taste and stir once before serving.
Fun facts and trivia about the Tomato.
- The La Tomatina is the most famous festival,which takes place in Spain in August every year.Roughly 30,000 people take part on an average and 1,50,000 tomatoes are used up in the 'tomato fight'.
- China is the largest tomato producer in the world, followed by America, India, Turkey and Egypt.
- There are over 10,000 varieties of the tomato plant in the world.
- 93% of crop growing Americans choose to grow tomatoes in their backyards or farms.
- The largest tomato tree (according to the Guiness Book of world records) grows at Walt Disney world resort and weighs over 522 kilograms and yields over 30,000 tomatoes per year.
- The french called them 'love apples' or pommes d'amour in the 18th century, since they considered the tomato as an aphrodisiac.
- it is canned more than any other fruit or vegetable in the world.
- John Campbell of the 'Campbell' soup brand is credited with making the condensed tomato soup one of the most consumed, as well as one of the most popular in the world.
- The tomato word is derived from the Nahuati word 'tomati' meaning to swell or the swelling fruit.
Tomato paste face mask.
Tomato face mask.
For oily skin:
Apply tomato paste on the face taking care to avoid the eye area.Wash off after 15 minutes.The tomato face pack soaks up the oil from your face leaving it smooth and oil-free.
For dry skin:
Mix some tomato paste with old curd and leave on face for 20 minutes.Wash off and your skin will look smoother.