How To Spend A Day Alone!
Time spent alone can be joyful
Research On Solitude
Research shows that solitude is important for our well being - just as important as physical activity and healthy eating! In fact, spending time alone is actually good for our social lives! Time alone does not have to be boring!
Research also shows that solitude is a positive state - as opposed to loneliness- and has been associated with creativity, freedom, intimacy and spirituality.
A Question For You....
Do you enjoy spending time alone?
Ideas For Your Day With Yourself
Sometimes the idea of a full day with nothing to do can be daunting. However, practicing self-care and searching within oneself can help you to enjoy the day and see it as an opportunity for relaxation and self-understanding.
- Write a gratitude list. Make a list of things that you are grateful for. Not only will this enhance your mood, you will begin to get an idea of the things that matter most to you, which could help you come up with related activities for the day.
- Write a letter to someone you care about. There's something special about both writing and receiving a handwritten letter in today's technologically-focused world. You'll also make someone else's day when they open their mailbox and find the surprise!
- Go for a walk. Take in your surroundings and walk mindfully. Take deep breaths of the fresh air and notice the birds, the sun or the snow.
- Work on a craft. Whether or not you are a "good artist," it is both calming and self-soothing to work on a creative project. Maybe you can make something nice to set on the mantel or hang on the wall to enjoy for a long time to come!
- Take a long, hot shower. You are in no rush to be anywhere today, so take your time and enjoy the feeling of the water on your skin.
- Clean your living space. Cleaning can be calming for some, and it also leaves you with a sense of accomplishment. Sometimes rearranging furniture or reorganizing can be even more fun and will create a change in living space makes it feel as though you have a fresh start. Also, if you end up gathering a few things you don't want or need anymore, donate them to a shelter or thrift store. You reap the benefits of a clean living space and the knowledge that you could be helping someone in need.
- Read. That book you have been wanting to read but never had time to get to? Sit down with a blanket and a cup of tea and read away!
- Cook a homemade meal. The hustle and bustle of life usually means that we order out or microwave a quick meal much of the time. Take the time to prepare a meal for yourself with fresh ingredients that you will enjoy. You might even want to make extra to have for days that you won't have time to cook.
- Spend time with a pet. Take your dog for a walk or to a dog park or wooded trail. Curl up with your cat. Time spent with pets is calming and when we are busy we often don't devote the attention to them that we would like to. Here's your chance!
- Journal or create a blog. A journal or a blog can be a great place to write about the things that matter to you. If you choose to journal, it is a safe space for you to clear your head by getting your thoughts down on paper and often this can lead to new understandings and ideas that you would not have come up with otherwise. A blog can be made private and treated much like a journal, or you can blog and leave it out in cyberspace to be shared!
- Try yoga. Yoga is a great activity to try at home, and can be done on a mat, outdoors in the grass, on the carpet, and some yoga can even be done in bed! There are many youtube videos out there that teach yoga, from beginner through advanced. There are also yoga classes for relaxation, stress relief, back pain and more!
Transforming Solitude: A TEDx Talk
Another way of enjoying your time alone is to meditate. Trevor Weltman discusses our society and the ways in which we are connected yet disconnected.
- Time alone doesn't have to be lonely! Enjoy your day off!
- Enjoy learning about yourself- this time is an opportunity!
- Think about the things that make you happy and do them.
- Take time to take care of yourself