Tips to avail the benefits of almonds
What are almonds?
Almonds are the oval nut-shaped kernels of the almond tree. Almonds are available in shelled and unshelled forms, out of which both are beneficial for our health. Blanched almonds have seedcoat that can be softened and then removed using hot water. After removing the seedcoat, a white part of almonds is revealed known as white embryo.
Where are they found mostly?
- Middle East (India, Syria, Israel, Turkey, Pakistan)
- North Africa
- Parts of Europe (mainly southern area)
- United States (mainly California)
It is a useful snack for weight watchers
Properties of almonds
Almonds have ingredients such as vitamins, minerals, protein, and fiber. Approximately 1 ounce (28 grams), almonds contain one-eighth of our daily protein needs. They also contain:
- Fiber: 4 grams.
Fiber helps in maintaining lower cholesterol levels and bowel health.
- Protein: 5.8 grams.
Protein helps in regeneration of tissues and enzymes and proper functioning of bones, muscles, skin and blood.
- Fat: 14 grams
Fat is helpful in reducing the risk of stroke and heart diseases, especially monounsaturated fats.
- Vitamin E: 38% of the RDA.
Vitamin E builds a shield against pollution as well as prevents from eye and neurological disorders.
- Manganese: 31% of the RDA.
Manganese helps in maintaining bone structure and boosting metabolism.
- Magnesium: 22% of the RDA.
Magnesium is helpful in regulating blood sugar levels and maintaining a healthy immune system.
- Copper: 2% of the RDA.
Copper regulates blood flow within body, heart rhythm and prevents premature ageing.
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): 2% of the RDA.
Vitamin B2 is an essential nutrient that plays an effective role in energy production.
- Phosphorus: 1% of the RDA.
Phosphorous maintains bones strength and improves metabolism and digestion.
Here, RDA is an acronym for Recommended Dietary Allowances
Types of almonds
- Roasted salted almonds: Roasted salted almonds are rich in protein, fiber, magnesium and vitamin E. It stimulates enzymes and makes bones stronger. It is also helpful in preventing the tissue breakdown.
- Flavored almonds: Flavored almonds can be a part of your snack. They are healthy and can give you more nutrients depending on the type of flavor added by you. Examples of flavored almonds are dry roasted almonds, cocoa roasted almonds and chocolate-covered almonds.
- Candied almonds: Candied almonds are made of water, cinnamon and sugar. They are good for making salad as well as for brown sugar. You can these almonds with honey to make them more nutritional.
- Bitter almonds: Unlike other almonds, bitter almonds are highly poisonous and can harm your body by affecting your nervous system and causing breathing problems and probably death as well. They are extracted from a different type of almond tree named Prunus amygdalus var amara which is already quite poisonous.
- Chinese almonds: Chinese almonds are used in traditional medicine by Chinese to cure respiratory disease such as emphysema and bronchitis. They can be harmful if they are eaten raw.
- Green almonds: Green almonds are quite delicious and are eaten as an appetizer or a snack. They are good for heart and maintaining cholesterol level.
Products of almonds
- Almond butter: Almond Butter is a good source of fibre as well as protein. It has lesser calories making it an effective medium of losing weight.
- Almond extract: Almond extract is a good way of providing you nutrients and taste to your food. You can use it with oatmeal, toast, fruit and rice.
- Almond flour: Almond flour is far superior to all the other flours with respect to taste, nutrition, low level of carbohydrates and sugar. Almond flour made of blanched almonds is quite effective for maintaining health.
- Almond oil: Almond oil is quite popular as a beauty aid. It contains antioxidants, vitamin A, B, D and E. It is useful for face care, hair maintenance and treating skin disorders.
- Almond paste: Almond paste has proved to be very effective in dealing with face problems and removing marks and spots from the face enhancing your face glow. It also deals with whiteheads, blackheads and dark circles.
Barney Butter is peanut free and made in an almond only facility
Benefits of almonds
- Prevents artery-blocking oxidation of cholesterol.
- Reduces cancer risk.
- Improves blood level.
- Prevents heart disease.
- Reduces the chances of birth defects.
- Boosts memory.
- Stimulates the growth of brain cells.
- Make bones and teeth stronger.
- Good for weight loss.
- Contains lesser calories.
- Prevents tissues from oxidation damage.
- Improves digestion.
- Increases metabolism.
- Enhances physical and mental alertness.
- Enhances face glow.
- Prevents dark circles.
- Prevents skin from ageing.
- Purifies blood and skin.
- Promotes hair growth
How to use almonds?
Almonds can be used in several ways for following purposes:
For cleaning face
- Curd and Almond face pack
Add 4 tbsp curd and 1 tbsp almond powder. Apply it on the face for at least 20 minutes.
- Lemon juice or rosewater and almond powder
Mix 1 tbsp of almond powder and 2-3 tbsp of lemon juice or rosewater. You can also add both lemon juice and rosewater and apply on your face for 20-30 minutes.
- Almond powder and hair oil
Make a hair mask using almond oil and hair oil such as olive oil, coconut oil or Argan oil and apply on your hair one hour before taking bath.
- Almond oil
Massage your hair with hot almond oil at night. Use a shower cap to let the oil nourish your hair overnight. Wash your hair the next day.
- Make almond your regular morning snack.
- Add almond slices to porridge.
For strong working memory and better eyesight
- Almond Milk
Soak at least seven almonds in water at night.
In the morning, remove the seedcoat and mash them into powder.
Add them to hot milk and drink it for at least a month.
For better eyesight, add a little amount of black pepper to the milk.
- Eating blanched almonds (seedcoat removed) without milk is also beneficial for boosting your memory.
For curing acne scars
- Almond Oil
Mix few drops of honey and lemon juice with almond oil and apply it on the scar.
Keep it for 15-20 minutes and then wash with water.
Use the mixture for at least 3-4 days.
You can also add milk for smoother skin.