Tobacco Addiction: The Harmful Effects of Smoking and Passive Smoking
The Shocking Figures of WHO!
- Nearly 6 million people die every year, due to tobacco related illness around the world , according to the WHO reports.
- Only 8% of the world population lives in countries, with sufficiently high taxes on tobacco, according to WHO reports.
- Among those who lose their lives due to tobacco, are also passive smokers.
- Passive smoking is more dangerous than smoking.
- Passive smoking affects everyone around the real smoker. It can be children, pregnant women, elderly and even sick people.
- Passive smoking applies to public places too, shopping malls, social gatherings and parties etc.
The fume at the end of of a lighted cigarette, has more harmful substances than the smoke inhaled by the smoker. It does not pass through filter as well and it stays longer in the air and thus gets absorbed in the lungs of the passive smoker, who can be small kids, pregnant woman, elderly and sick people.
6 Harmful effects of Smoking And Tobacco
The direct relation between smoking and heart disease has been established beyond any doubt.
1. Tobacco contains Nicotine, which is explicitly described in medical dictionaries as a powerful and active poison.
2. Smoking introduces this poison and also the highly poisonous gas, Carbon mono oxide, into the lungs of the smoker.
3. It has been established by experiments, that Nicotine causes increased secretion of adrenalin into the blood stream, which in turn results, in higher proportion of fats, in the blood.
It is because of this reason that smoking accelerates the hardening process of the blood vessels.
The arteries providing nutrients to the heart muscles become congested and brittle.
The consequences can range from hypertension, to palpitations, to blockages, smoker's cough, Asthma, Cancers and even to heart attacks.
4. Vitamins are essential for heart health and smooth functioning of blood vessels.
Vitamins stored in the body are gradually destroyed by smoking.
Smoking even one cigarette has the capacity to destroy the amount of Vitamin C contained in one orange.
5. Prolonged use of tobacco gives rise to fits, nervous disorders. various kind of paralysis, dizziness, balance disorder. Sometimes veins of the leg may be affected, resulting in painful calves, which make walking very painful.
6. It is not only cigarettes, but chewing tobacco, inhaling tobacco powder and any other form of consumption is equally injurious to health.
Harmful effects of tobacco on the human body, source: YouTube
Cigarette Smoking is Injurious to Health
We all know this and heard this slogan, so many times.
All the packets of cigarettes bear the warning that, Cigarette smoking is injurious to health.
In spite of this warning, not only the illiterate, who have the excuse of not being able to read the warning, but even the countless literates find it impossible to give up smoking.
This indeed is a habit and an addiction
- Once a person is addicted to these harmful addictions, it is difficult for him to get rid of it. Even if they desire to give up tobacco, they cannot.
- Because, during their efforts to abandon these habits, the smokers may suffer from the symptoms of headache, insomnia, vomiting, fits etc.
- These symptoms are known as the withdrawal symptoms.
- The good news is, that the withdrawal symptoms can be treated, with patience, determination, family support and medical help.
Quitting Smoking, source: YouTube
Giving up smoking can be difficult. It depends on how many cigarettes you are smoking, and how much addicted you are.
- You will have to make a resolution, and stick to it, with full determination.
- You may ask some other persons, who want to quit smoking, to join you, with the same resolve of quitting smoking.
- It is not wise to leave all of a sudden, otherwise there can be serious withdrawal symptoms. You can gradually reduce.
- Whenever you feel the urge, try to distract your mind. Follow some healthy hobbies, go out, exercise, keep yourself busy.
- Chewing Aniseeds/ Anise or Cinnamon can control the urge to smoke.
- Regular exercise or practicing Yogasanas can help to keep you away from smoking.
- A positive mind and strong will power can help you in quitting tobacco.
Take Care! Quit Smoking And Live A Healthy Life.
Do you smoke cigarettes?
Helpful Tips to Quit Smoking, source: You tube
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2014 Chitrangada Sharan