Top Ten High Protein Vegan Foods
For too long people have been under the impression that meat or animal products are the only source of protein, nothing couldn't be further from the truth. The primary source of food is plants. Therefore if you follow the food chain, carnivores eat herbivores and herbivores eat plants. The stronger muscular animals eat plants such as the gorilla, ox, buffalo or elephant.
There are no special dietary techniques needed to increase protein for vegans. All that is needed is a diet consisting of a wide variety of plants to get a complete supply of protein. Protein compromises a chain of essential and non-essential amino acids. Some plants may not contain all the necessary essential amino acids. That is why a mixture of plants is needed in your diet. I will go ahead and list the top ten high protein vegan foods.
1. Quinoa: it is one of the few seeds (pseudo-grain) that contains all the essential amino acids needed for muscle growth and other important functions. NASA intends to grow it in space as a complete source protein and a balanced diet. Even though this list not in any specific order, quinoa is one of the best sources of protein for vegans.
2. Pumpkin Seed: This is another seed that has a complete protein profile. It contains more protein per gram than beef. This is only proof that animal products are not the only source of good protein. It is also high in zinc and tryptophan which is an essential amino acid that is very important for stable mental health.
3. Kidney Beans: They are very close to a complete source of protein. Complemented with rice, kidney beans will provide a complete source of protein for vegans. These beans also contain the amino acid, lysine which is normally the amino acid that is low in other vegan sources. It is also rich in fiber and other vitamins and minerals.
4. Tempeh: This is fermented soy beans. Non-fermented soy products which are more popular are harder to digest. The amino acids in tempeh are more bio-available and constitute a full protein profile. Tempeh is a standard cuisine in Indonesia. It is fast catching on with vegetarians and vegans in western society.
5. Chia Seeds: It contains all the necessary amino acids making it a high protein vegan food. Chia seeds are great for those trying to lose weight. This is because it swells once inside of your stomach which helps to reduce the feeling of hunger. High quality proteins also help to make a person feel satisfied similar to eating meat.
6. Almonds: Even though it does not contain all the essential amino acids in the preferred proportions, almonds are a great source of protein for vegans and vegetarians. Almonds eaten with a couple other nuts and fruits will render a complete protein profile. Almonds seem to be a favorite amongst athletes because of its energy boosting properties.
7. Hemp Seeds: These seeds are very close to a complete source of protein for vegans. Its anti-inflammatory properties also help with muscle growth and the overall strengthening of the immune system. Hemp seed protein is mostly consumed as a shake complemented by other nuts or seeds which makes it one of the best choices as a high protein vegan food. More information can be found at Vegetarian Body Building using Hemp Seed Protein Nutrition.
8. Avocado: This is a fruit with very high protein content. It is also very easily digested. Avocado is the best protein complement for vegans. It contains unsaturated fats which help significantly with the absorption and processing of amino acids in the liver and stomach.
9. Spinach: This green leaf is a great protein complement to have in your vegetarian dish. In the vegan community, it is added to a bean/rice combination to provide a balanced meal. It is also rich in iron and other nutrients that are abundant in meat. Therefore, spinach is a great meat replacement and great source of protein for vegans.
Are you vegan or vegetarian?
10. Lentils: It pairs greatly with brown rice to provide a complete source of protein. Lentils are also deemed to be the most economic source of protein. It is a must have for the frugal vegans. It can be cooked in a stew or soup incorporating other vegetables.
Vegans and vegetarians do not need a protein plan. The human body will assimilate the different amino acids derived from a variety of foods in your diet. If you’re a body builder or an extreme athlete then you may want drink a lot of almond and hemp smoothies. That concludes the top ten high protein vegan foods.
Rasta1 Top Ten Articles
- 10 Healthy Tips on How to Eat
This is not an article on what to eat. You already know what constitutes a nutritious diet. However, do we know how to eat it.
- 10 Cool Facts about Jamaica
Jamaica is one of the most interesting countries in the world. A very small Island that has so many cool accolades and residents.
- Top Ten Foods that Make You Smarter
Improving your memory can be achieved by eating one of these top ten foods that makes you smarter. I also selected these foods because of their ability to slow down aging.
- Top Ten Jamaican Stereotypes
Jamaicans have always been stereotyped. The media has given Jamaicans a false identity that is totally different from the actual culture.
Check out my PROFILE to follow my Hubs, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Blog and Pinterest.
Peace and Love My People
Disclaimer: Please note that this Site is provided for informational purposes only. It is not intended as a substitute for informed medical advice. Please consult with a qualified health care provider.
© 2014 Marvin Parke