- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
Toxic Shock Syndrome
Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) is very rare, but potentially fatal. There are different statistics regarding this, but there are approximately only 40 cases per year which occur and several of these are fatal.
Since it is so rare, most doctors will never even experience treating someone with TSS during the course of their career. The reason this is important is that you should feel free to mention Toxic Shock Syndrome as a possibility to your doctor if you are experiencing the symptoms, because it would certainly not be the first thing that would come to your doctor's mind. If caught quickly enough, your life can be saved by an antibiotic treatment.
The symptoms of Toxic Shock Syndrome are vomiting, nausea, feeling faint or dizzy, having a rash that looks like a sunburn, diarrhea that is particularly watery, a sudden fever and headaches. Only some of these symptoms may be experienced and this should not be taken lightly.
TSS is caused by the bacteria staphylococcus aureus becoming toxic. This is more likely to happen when the immune system is weakened.
This can be the result of surgery, any wound or other infection and is most commonly known to occur in tampon users.
Keeping any wounds clean, keeping your immune system strong, washing your hands regularly and for tampon users, always changing regularly is very important. Using lower absorbency tampons is also considered to be helpful in avoiding getting Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Basically, if you have any of the symptoms, just be sure to call your doctor right away. Don't try to be tough and deal with it on your own. A few simple little actions can prevent a senseless death.