Treating Edema ~ Bloating ~ Water Retention
Edema - A Case Of Water Retention
There are two kinds of edema, pitting edema and non-pitting edema. Pitting edema causes an indentation when you press your fingers on the swollen areas; non- pitting edema leaves no indentation.
Some symptoms which appear from nowhere are feelings of suffocation due to breathlessness, wheezing, restlessness and anxiety; cough accompanied with blood, sweating more than usual, pale skin and chest pain due to heart trouble. Symptoms which are gradually uncovered are difficulty in breathing due to lying flat, lack of sleep due to breathlessness and gaining a good amount of weight over a period of time.
The water is retained due to diseases like congestive heart failure and hypertension - Consuming anti-inflammatories like prednisone also causes water retention. In general many people may already contain extra water which accumulates around thighs, buttocks, abdomen and lower extremities.
Common Causes of Edema
It is caused primarily by dehydration. The loss of water in the body can cause constipation. And, the corresponding lack of bowel movements creates the tummy bulge, swollen feet and ankles.
Excess salt, red meat, MSG laden foods are huge contributors to this condition.
Other causes are: kidney or bladder infection, oral contraception side effects, hypothyroidism, adrenal exhaustion, obesity, constipation and lack of exercise.
Natural Home Treatments
Warning: The reader of this article should exercise all precautionary measures while following instructions on the home remedies from this article. If you are allergic to it, avoid using any of these products. The responsibility lies with the reader and not with the writer or the site.
~~ Recommended: Consult your primary care physician for an initial and proper diagnosis ~~
A good diet combined with an equal amount of exercise can make things very easy for you. Include cucumber and watermelon in your daily diet for good dose of potassium.
Keep sipping herbal tea at least three times a day, this too acts in the similar fashion like water - dilution. Examples: Parsley Tea, Watermelon Seed Tea and Dandelion Tea.
Swimming is the best thing to do during such times as it is low impact for the joints and feet.
Drink a good amount of water, as water helps in diluting the excess salt which makes the removal of the salt much easier and which leads to prevention of edema.
Flax Seeds: This home remedy is very good for pregnant ladies. Anyone can introduce flax seeds in your daily diet as it provides essential plant omega 3 fatty acids and a good amount of fiber. Grind and store these seeds in the refrigerator and use it daily with any of your meals sprinkled over the top or incorporate into food after it is cooked right before consuming.
Whenever you find time, keep your feet elevated as one of the common reasons for water retention is gravity.
Six Tips To Follow For Prevention Daily
1. Drink 8 -10 glasses of water a day. Drinking less fluid will not cure water retention and can actually make it worse. So, drink plenty of water to flush the toxins from your body. Cellulite is a form of fat with retained water. When the body cannot get rid of the wastes it tends to store it in cellulite.
2. Try to eliminate salts and refined sugars from your diet. At least, cut down on their use as much as you possibly can if you can't eliminate these types of foods.
3. Get some exercise. Go for a brisk walk, even if it is just for 10 minutes. Movement helps your lymphatic system drain and gets the blood pumping which increases circulation. Did you know poor circulation can cause water retention?
4. Don't skip meals. Much as you may think this is wise, low calorie diets have been shown to increase water retention. But do avoid high fat foods. Incorporate protein in your daily diet. While you are running around remember to reach for a yogurt, some cottage cheese or make yourself a protein shake. One of the most important nutrients to prevent water retention is protein.
5. Cut down on caffeine and alcohol. These liquids cause dehydration, plus they are empty calories. If you do indulge follow with 2 glasses of water after each serving to counter-balance fluids.
6. Take a good multivitamin daily. Find one that has a high content of Vitamin B (12 and 6). Stress robs your body of essential vitamins, plus you are probably not eating as healthy as you should all the time. Vitamin B is especially good to take when you are under stress, or have bloating.
Of course it goes without saying that you should also try your best to get sufficient sleep during any stressful period.
A Starvation Diet Will Not Reduce Weight & Cellulite!
Naturally, we as women may think, 'I will simply starve myself and not drink a lot of liquids for a few days before my wedding. If I do so perhaps this will help drop a bit of weight and reduce some of that nasty cellulite on my body' ...? Wrong!
When preparing for any big event like a wedding, graduation or big interview, a diet of water-rich fruits and salads with low fat protein is the best. Sipping water and fruit-herb infused waters throughout the day will help with hydration and flushing impurities. Do this in addition to drinking 10-12 glasses of filtered or bottled water daily.
Healing Foods to Prevent or Treat Water Retention
Reduce salt in the diet
Drink 10-12 glasses of water daily - fruit-herb infused water can be substituted sometimes
Avoid canned or frozen prepared foods that are usually high in sodium including 'low sodium' options - If crunched for time making your own meals - make sure you read the labels for sodium content
Avoid high starch foods and refined sugar snacks and drinks - raw honey and stevia sweeteners are good options
Avoid soda, however you may add sparkling water to lemonade for a treat
Eat plenty of fresh watery fruits and salads daily with low fat salads dressings as these are nutritious and cleansing
Recommended Lifestyle Changes & Additions
Vitamins & Minerals
Walk: 15 Mins. One-Way & 15 Mins. Back Daily
Boron to Assist Joint Health
Watermelon Seed Tea To Cleanse
Yoga: Join a Beginner's Class
Vitamin C; Magnesium & Potassium
Parsley in Tea and Fresh in Salads
Epsom Salts Baths or Foot Soaks for Magnesium Uptake
Vitamin B Complex for Stress Relief
Dandelion Tea & Alfalfa
Saunas to Sweat out Impurities
Betaine HCI to Assist Digestion
Echinacea to Cleanse Lymph Glands
Refreshing Lemonade with Lemons, Limes, Grapefruit and Mint Leaves
Reversing edema and bloating is relatively easy with a few simples changes and additions. A lifestyle change is required but it is based on slow and simple efforts.
Make sure to follow your physician's recommendations first until condition is under control.
When following the above suggestions, remember less is more. Overdoing any of these might cause injury and discomfort. It is highly suggested to take someone along with you when walking during the initial stages of exercises.