- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Treatment for Ulcer with Plantain Bananas - Natural Treatment of Ulcer
One Out Of Every Ten People Has Ulcers
One out of every ten people that you know will suffer from ulcers before the age of seventy. Yes, at least ten percent of the world’s population will suffer from ulcers before the age of seventy years. The good thing is that there are ulcer curing methods that have been in use by indigenous societies that will not cost you a cent to have your ulcers cured at home.
What Causes Ulcer?
An ulcer (peptic ulcer) is an open sore on the internal surface of the body that is caused by a break in the mucous membrane that fails to heal. The bacteria Helicobacter pyloriare responsible for causing ulcers. Its not everyone who has Helicobacter pylori bacteria gets sick with ulcers. People with stress and other psychological factors seem to always get ulcers. So, how does the helicobacter pyloribacteria and stress relate in causing ulcers? Scientists are yet to find out why, but I would theorize that stress accelerates the secretion of hydrochloric acid in the stomach. The excess acid erodes the gastric mucosal and then the helicobacter pylori bacteria takes over from there.
Bananas and Ulcer
Bananas have for centuries been used as food in my indigenous societies. At the same time, these indigenous societies have used the same bananas to make preparations for curing ulcers. The banana that is commonly used in curing ulcers is what is called plantain. Plantain is very effective in its anti-ulcerogenic properties.
Difference between Plantain and Banana
Now, you may ask, what is the difference between plantain and banana? Plantain, also known as Musa sapientum fruit, is a member of the banana family. The plantain is starchy, less sugary, and is usually cooked before eating. Plantains are found all over South America, Africa and Asia, as well as in your supermarket. Plantains are hard to ripen and when they do the skin turns black unlike the yellow color of ripe bananas. They are cooked by indigenous societies just as they would cook potatoes in their dishes. In Eastern Africa, plantains are usually called ‘matoke’. Below is a table that compares and contrasts plantains and bananas:
Compare and Contrast Plantains and Bananas
Plantains are longer than bananas
Bananas are shorter than plantains
Plantains have thicker skins
Bananas have thinner skins
Plantains are starchy
Bananas are sweet
Plantains are used just like vegetables or potatoes
Bananas are eaten ripe as fruits
Plantains may be black, green, or even yellow when ripe
Bananas turns yellowish when ripe
Plantains have 65% water content
Bananas have 80% water content
Plantains are harder than bananas
Bananas are softer than plantains
Making Natural Plantain Preparation for Curing Ulcer
Now that we know the difference between plantains and bananas, we can proceed and make a natural preparation that will treat your ulcer with plantain bananas. We proceed as follows:
- Buy 20 pieces of plantain from your local market, supermarket or foods store.
- Wash the plantains thoroughly with clean water
- Peel the outer skin of plantains. The peeled skin is thrown away or can be used to feed your goats, pigs or whatever.
- Wash the peeled plantains with clean water.
- By use of a grater, grate the plantain into small pieces. This is to increase the surface area of plantain. This will enable maximum extraction of the active components that are anti- ulcerogenic from plantains.
6. Boil water, in a cooking pot (7 litres), that is sufficient to submerge all your peeled plantain. Let the water cool to room temperature. The aim of boiling the water is to kill any germs that water may contain.
7. Once the water has cooled to room temperature, submerge the peeled plantains into the cooled water such that the water is just covering the plantains.
8. Cover the mixture and let it stand at room temperature (22˚C to 28˚C) for 48 hours.
9. After 48 hours and by use of a ladle/spoon, stir the mixture a few times and then sieve. The filtrate or the liquid that has passed through the sieve is the natural plantain preparation that you will drink to heal your ulcers.
10. Put that liquid in clean bottles or containers and preserve them in a fridge. You preserve them in a fridge because that is food and needs to keep safe for a sufficient length of time.
11. Drink one to two glasses of that plantain preparation after every meal for 3 to 4 weeks or until your ulcer is healed. A ‘glass’ here is assumed to be 250 ml and ‘meals’ are assumed to be breakfast, lunch and before going to bed.
12. If your preparation gets finished, just go a head and prepare some more.
Potassium Sorbate - Safest Preservative
This is not for you, it’s not necessary, and should be avoided unless you are an expert: use 200 ppm (0.02%) of potassium sorbate to inhibit the growth of fungi and yeasts - potassium sorbate acts against bacteria and is known to be safer than common table salt. Sorbic acid has an LD50 of 10g/kg body weight which makes it the safest preservative known. In comparison, the common table salt has an LD50 of 5g/kg body weight. 0.02% of potassium sorbate means you add 1 gram of potassium sorbate to 5 litres of water. Potassium sorbate can be expensive to the ordinary people in many parts of the world. The other factor to consider is that weighing 1 gram of a substance is not something that can be done by every Dick and Harry; so, avoid this step.
Food or Medicine
You may now have formed an opinion that we are preparing a medicine. No. What we have just prepared is food that is used by millions of people in many parts of the world. If this preparation does not cure your ulcers, you should not worry because you have just taken food as you have always done.
Sweeten with Honey
If you don’t like the taste, you can sweeten the preparation, before drinking, with natural honey, and you can as well sweeten and color it with fruit juice concentrates that are not acidic. And if you don’t like the after-use-effect on your month, just brush your mouth/teeth/tongue with your favorite toothpaste.
How Plantain Treats Ulcers
How does this plantain preparation cure ulcers? The plantain preparation does the following in your stomach:
- Plantain preparation protects the mucosa of the stomach by stimulating cell proliferation
- Plantain preparation increases secretion of mucus in the stomach
- Plantain preparation increases the resistance of mucus from attack by acids and bacteria
- Plantain preparation inhibits the secretion of excessive hydrochloric acid
- Plantain preparation coats the ulcers from acids thus healing the ulcer.
Midlife crisis is a time when adult humans start realizing the reality of their own mortality and how much time is left in their life. This is the appropriate time for ulcers to strike. If you are approaching or you are in that stage, it’s good to include plantain in your diet once in a while. You don’t need to be suffering from ulcers to take this plantain preparation.
Good luck with this do-it-at-home Treatment for Ulcer with Plantain Bananas - Natural Treatment of Ulcer.
Disclaimer: The information contained in this article should not in any way replace that of your qualified doctor.
If you have liked this article, and you would want this page to keep up and improved, you can help in any way you can. A free way to help would be to link back to this webpage from your web page, blog, or discussion forums.
The Author’s page is designed to help beginners and average readers make some money as an extra income to supplement what they may be earning elsewhere - details of which you can find in My Page, if you will.