Turmeric: Multipurpose ingredient - health benefites - food coloring - medicinal properties - cosmetics .
Basics about Turmeric.
Turmeric or Haldi as it is commonly called in Indian languages belongs to ginger family.
The turmeric root is dried and powdered. It is used mostly in powder form in curries. It is orangish yellow in color and has a bitter taste as well as smell.
Raw turmeric root is also used in cooking and as cosmetic.
Turmeric is used in curry powders as a spice.
Turmeric also has exceptional medicinal uses. I have used and seen the medicinal powers of turmeric.
Turmeric is used in:
- Dyeing agent
Turmeric as an ingredient used in preparation of food.
Turmeric root is dried and powdered and is used mostly in powder form.
* Turmeric powder is used in almost all the curries, Masala/spice powders, variety of rice dishes, savories, snacks. It's slight bitterness adds to taste. It also colors the food.
** Most Masala powders contain turmeric powder. These powders are used in making a variety of rice, lentils, lentil curries, vegetable curries, etc.
** Turmeric leaves are used to wrap and steam rice dumplings(sweet & savoury) in the southern part of India. It gives a unique flavour to the dumplings. It enhances the taste too.
Are you aware of turmeric as a cooking ingredient?
Do you use turmeric in your cooking?
Some yummy curries using turmeric.
- Potato Curry recipe is Potato subji with gravy, batata rassa, potato in gravy, potato recipes
Potato Curry recipe is served with a variety of Indian breads, such as Poori , chapati or Dosa, the Indian vegan Pancake.
- Chickpea curry recipe, channa masala recipe, chickpea recipes, chole recipe, garbanzo beans recipe
Chickpea curry recipe is a easy to make Indian Curry. It is also called chana masala, or chole masala. It is one of the many popular chickpea recipes. It is made with whole white chickpeas known as kabuli chana or garbanzo beans.
- Stuffed brinjal , Indian stuffed eggplant recipe.
Stuffed eggplant or brinjal is a specialty from northern Karnataka. It is also made in the other southern states with a little variation.
Rice recipes using turmeric for color and health
- Mango rice is a tangy , tasty rice made with raw green mango, green mango recipe, rice recipe
Mango Rice is a special rice dish prepared on the new year day which falls on April 7th this year. It is made with raw sour mangos and some spices.
- This beans and rice recipe, indian rice dish, khichadi, khichari
This mung beans and rice recipe is a simple one among rice dishes and is known as khichadi. it is a part of ayurvedic recipes.
- Lemon rice recipe, lime rice recipe, spicy Indian rice recipe, chitranna,kalasanna,elumicham sadam.
This Lemon rice recipe is a South Indian rice recipe. It is easy to make spicy rice dish known as chitranna, kalasanna, elumicham sadam. You can also make it with leftover rice
Turmeric, the healer.
* Turmeric powder is used to treat cough. Take 1/2 teaspoonful turmeric powder with a glass of hot milk or water in the night before bedtime. Add a little sugar if you wish.
** Turmeric is used for healing bruises, cuts, burns as it is antibacterial and antiseptic agent. Sprinkle the turmeric powder on the wound or mix it with coconut oil or ghee(clarified butter) to form a paste and apply it to the wound.
*** Turmeric powder can be used for your pets too. I used turmeric to heal my cat's wounds when he came home with a wound. I mixed the turmeric powder with a little coconut oil(you can use any edible oil) and applied it to the wound. It is ok even if the cat licks it as turmeric is good to consume too. The wound healed within a couple of days. days.
Are you aware of the medicinal value of turmeric?
Do you use turmeric as medicinal help?
Benefits of turmeric at a glace.
There are many benefits of turmeric whether you use it in the powder form or in the root form.
Turmeric, the beauty enhancer.
It can improve the tone of your skin.
Turmeric can not really be called a cosmetic. A cosmetic has only a temporary effect. When you wash off the cosmetic, the effects are gone. The effects of turmeric are long lasting.
* Turmeric can improve your skin, complexion when used regularly. Mix a little milk cream with a little turmeric and apply it on the face and hands. Wash off after about 15 minutes. Your skin will look soft and shining.
** Turmeric, used regularly can remove superfluous hair. In India, women use it regularly. It also makes the skin fairer.
*** In India, turmeric paste is applied to the bride and the groom for a few days before the wedding. It makes the skin glow. There is also a special ceremony before wedding in the northern part of India called 'Haldi ceremony'. If you are in india you may have seen the advertisement and the tune ' vicco turmeric, nahi cosmetic, vicco turmeric ayurvedic cream'
**** Turmeric also keeps the harmful bacteria away.
Turmeric as dyeing agent.
It is only a temparary dye.
Turmeric is used to dye a white cloth to make it yellow(for whatever purpose). But it is not a permanent dye. It fades over time. Exposed to sunlight it fades faster.
Turmeric helps in gardening.
Turmeric used to keep ants away.
* Turmeric keeps ants away. You can use it either in home or in the garden. Sprinkle a little turmeric powder or Draw a line with turmeric powder around the place from where you want to keep the ants away.
** Mix turmeric powder in water and sprinkle on the place where ants have a nest. The ants will go away.