- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
Common Skin Rashes: Remedies
Treatment for Common Skin Rashes
Our skin is subjected to a variety of conditions like dust, dirt, pollution, sun’s rays etc. Generally the skin is very strong and withstands such conditions. But some people do not have strong skin and may develop different types of common skin rashes. Skin protects the body from environment outside. Most of the common skin rashes are caused by skin irritation and can be cured by home treatment. But at times the skin rashes caused by irritation need medical attention.
One type of skin rash called contact dermatitis is caused by the skin coming into contact with some substance that irritates it. Contact dermatitis could initially cause redness of the skin or red bumps. This may later lead to large blisters with swelling and redness. Contact dermatitis may occur even if you come into contact with a small amount of the substance. Such a condition may not be serious but may be very itchy and uncomfortable. Some of the substances that may cause contact dermatitis are
- Poisonous plants
- Soaps and detergents
- Lotions, perfumes and cosmetics
- Fabrics and jewelry
- Latex rubber
- Yeast infection
- Bacterial infection
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- At times skin rashes could indicate a more serious disease like kidney disease, liver disease and even certain types of cancer.
- Insect bites could also result in skin rashes. Some medicines could also cause rashes. Cold and dry weather is another reason to develop skin rashes.
Treatment of Common Skin Rashes
Some rashes go away without treatment. Some other rashes require medical attention.
If the skin rashes are due to the skin coming into contact with a poisonous plant like oak or poison ivy, the skin has to be washed thoroughly with water. But if the rash has already developed
- Water and soap have to be used sparingly
- The rash has to be exposed to air
- The skin rash should not be scratched
- Some rashes are contagious especially if they are accompanied by fever. So you try to avoid contact with others especially children.
Relief from Itching
- Cloth soaked in water has to put on the skin rash frequently
- Don’t expose skin to the sun
- Wrap oatmeal in a piece of cloth and hold it on the skin rash
- As you could be allergic to synthetic fabric use cotton clothing
- Use soaps which are gentle on the skin and recommended by dermatologists
- Use mild soaps and detergents to wash clothes. Rinse thoroughly with water
- Dry skin leads to itching. So keep your skin moist
Home Remedies for Skin Rashes
Tea made from chamomile flower is a very good remedy. Apply the decoction on the affected area