Vegetarian Shami kebabs:Lentils and Potato and Herb Tikki (Patties).
Shami Kebabs are delicious patties made with ground beef,mutton,or chicken which is first boiled along with lentils usually Chana daal then mixed with spices and shallow fried. Shami kebabs do not always have to be made with meat. With a rise in the number of people turning to vegan diet for health or other good reasons the need arises to make vegan versions of our delicious favorites.Therefore I decided to try making "vegetarian shami kebabs" which taste and smell incredibly delicious similar to the meat shami kebabs.
- 1 cup Moong Daal Lentils, (Yellow split Moong)
- 1lb Potatoes medium size
- 2 slices White bread
- 1tsp Cumin seeds/powder, Zeera powder/seeds
- 1/4 tsp Chaat masala, (optional)
- 1Tbsp Salt
- 1tsp Chilli flakes or powder
- 1 bunch Green coriander leaves/cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp Dried Methi leaves, (Dry Fenugreek leaves)
- 1 pinch Carom seeds, (Ajwain seeds)
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, or coriander powder
- 1 Large egg
- In a large pot add washed lentils (yellow split moong daal) and potatoes wits skin (washed).
- Add water enough to cover the lentils and potatoes.water should be 1 inch above the potatoes and lentils.
- bring to boil on. High flame and them turn down the heat on low flame cover partly and simmer until the water dries up.
- Take care not to burn the mixture. keep stirring when the water level is low. water should be all soaked up in an hour and dry mixture should be left In the pot.
- Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool down.
How to Make Vegetarian Shami Kebabs
- In a large mixing bowl add all the dry ingredients including spices ,salt and herb like coriander leaves ,methi leaves and mint leaves (optional)
- Add potatoes and lentil mixture to the same bowl and use a potato masher to mash the mixture.
- Add fresh bread crumbs and beaten egg and knead well.
- Make small balls and flatten them a bit to make parties of desired size. Place patties on an aluminum tray without overlapping I use a baking tray as it doesn't stick.if the mixture is not dry enough to make patties use more bread crumbs. If that does not help do not mix egg in the mixture. Just shape the patties and freeze them. Later beaten egg can be used to coat the patties before frying to prevent sticking. Shami kebabs will turn out great in both ways.
- Keep the tray with patties in the freezer for about half an hour and after the patties set shift them to a zip lock bag and keep frozen until you want to cook them.
- Vegetarian shami kebabs do not need to be thawed before frying. Just shallow fry the frozen kebabs in a non stick pan and take out on a platter right before serving.
- Vegetarian shami kebabs heat well in microwave oven. Serve with any kind of chutney or hot sauce.
© 2015 Ash