Very Low Fat Banana Bread
Delicious and low in fat
Love cake but on a diet?
If you are losing a little motivation for your low fat diet, or you just want to cut back on your fat intake, with this recipe you can have your cake and eat it! Still satisfyingly sweet, still cake, but very low in fat, this could curb your sugar cravings without piling on the pounds.
Banana with a hint of apple and cinnamon.
- 195g Self raising flour
- 100g Caster sugar
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- Half a tsp Ground cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- 1 very ripe banana - mashed
- 60g apple sauce, (low sugar if possible)
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4/180C. Line a loaf tin with a paper case or with baking parchment.
- In a mixing bowl stir together the flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Add the apple sauce and ripe banana and stir through to combine.
- In another bowl whisk the egg whites until the mixture doubles in size. Don't over whisk as you don't want them glossy, just with plenty of air in them.
- Stir the egg white mixture through your other ingredients until just combined, but mixed well. Pour the batter into the loaf tin.
- Bake in the oven for 50 to 55 minutes. At 50 minutes insert a skewer or toothpick into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready. If not clean, put the cake back in the oven for another few minutes.
- When ready, turn onto a metal rack to cool, and serve warm. Will keep for upto 3 days in stored in an airtight container.
The use of egg whites and apple sauce to make the mixture combine cuts the fat in this recipe right down. The cinnamon gives a rich, warm flavour.There is approximately 1g of fat per slice - just don't eat the whole thing!