- Mental Health
Vitamin B complex helps with Depression
Depression often in an outcome of chemical imbalance in the brain, genetic makeup, and environmental factors. Depression often consumes a person, leaving them with a sense of hopelessness. While many doctors state that depression cannot be completely cured, several studies indicate that a supplement of Vit B complex helps in coping with depression.
Symptoms of Depression
Feeling low or sad from time to time and getting bogged down due to stress is a common part of every one’s life. However when one begins to feel a sense of emptiness that refuses to go away, it may be depression.
Depression is different from feeling sad. It is a lifeless feeling. Many people describe depression as living in a black hole. The most common symptoms of depression are-
· Feeling hopeless
· Feeling of worthlessness
· Loss of energy or chronic fatigue
· Difficulty in maintaining cordial relationships
· Difficulty in being able to concentrate or make decisions
· Change in appetite
· Alcohol and/or drug abuse
· Getting agitated easily
· Inability to handle stress
· Panic attacks
· Heart palpitations
Men suffering from depression tend to feel restless and aggressive. The symptoms of depression are the same for both men and women. However the signs of depression in women may be slightly different. Women tend to experience symptoms of atypical depression that is contrary to normal symptoms such as withdrawing from food and being unable to sleep. Women tend to binge on food and sleep excessively.
What is Vitamin B complex and how does it help with depression?
Incorporating Vitamins in one’s diet has profound benefits. Vitamin deficiencies often can worsen depression and hence it is advised that people suffering with depression should supplement their diet with Vitamins especially Vit B complex.
Vit B complex plays a significant role in controlling mood swings by regulating the nervous system. These B vitamins help in fighting depression by facilitating neurotransmitters that are the brain’s chemical messengers that are set to regulate mood swings.
Vitamin B s are not synthesised and stored in the body, they tend to get easily destroyed by other substances such as caffeine and refined sugars. It is therefore important for one to obtain these vitamins via diet or vitamin supplementation.
Relationship of B vitamins with depression-
· Vitamin B1: The brain uses Vit B to convert glucose into fuel used by the body; hence a deficiency of this vitamin can lead to irritability, anxiety, fatigue, insomnia, and even memory loss. Consuming vitamin B in sufficient doses helps improve the health of the brain and nervous system, reduces fatigue, increases stamina, and aids in digestion.
· Vitamin B3: A deficiency of this vitamin is said to lead to conditions such as psychosis and dementia. Vit B3 deficiency can also cause anxiety and agitations. Sufficient doses of vitamin B3 helps reduce cholesterol, and increases blood circulation.
· Vitamin B5: Increases vitality and reduces mental stress.
· Vitamin B6: This vitamin is responsible for processing amino acids. It also regulates levels of serotonin in the brain. An imbalance in the levels of serotonin can cause depression.
· Vitamin B9: This vitamin acts as a natural anti depressant. It aids in the neurotransmitter functions of the brain.
· Vitamin B12: Helps in blood cell formation and also helps in maintaining a healthy nervous system. A deficiency of this vitamin often causes bouts of anxiety, irritability, and confusion.
As mentioned earlier Vitamin B complex is not stored in the human body, hence it is vital to eat a diet rich in this vitamin complex. However it may not be possible to derive the right dosages of Vit B from just diet and hence one should opt for vitamin supplements to provide the body with sufficient quantities of Vit B complex.
Several research and studies have shown that people suffering from depression have reaped benefits by consuming vitamin b complex supplements. These supplements are sae to consume. However if one is in doubt, he may consult a doctor who will prescribe these vitamins to combat with symptoms of depression.