Benefits & Uses of Walnuts
Insight into Walnut
Walnuts is the seedy food for eating.These walnuts are the produce of juglan specie tree. When you break the shell of this seedy food you will find the edible kernel inside. This kernel is nutritious and it gives the eater many health benefits. Kernel is very similar to human brain in appearance. It has a brown cover coating which protects kernel from being rancid.This coating has lot of antioxidants. The two most common available walnuts are English walnut and Black walnut. The shell of black walnut is hard to break and thus it is not used for commercially eatable purposes. So what you buy and see in market is English Walnut- easy to break and remove the shell. For protection against diseases doctors all over the world recommend to eat this nut. We will discuss its health benefits in detail in following paragraph.
You can say this nut is a package full of nutrition
a) Omega-3 fatty acid in form of Alpha-linolenic acid is present great quantity in this nutty food. Infact higher among all other nuts. As you all know Omega-3 fatty acid prevents and cures diseases.
b) One gets 15 gram protein and 27% of daily dietary fiber from eating 100 grams of walnut kernel.
c) On antioxidant front , this seedy food contains 10 different types.
d) Iron, calcium, Riboflavin, Magnesium, Vitamin K, Vitamin E are other nutrients present in good amount.
e) Good source of energy
Walnuts Health Benefits
a) Acts as a anti-depression tonic: Eat these seeds to give you relief from depression
b) Leads to sound sleep : This is due to melatonin present in walnuts. It cures your insomnia problem
c) Cancer Prevention : Antioxidants, Omega-3 fatty acid, Phytosterols prevent cancer diseases.
d) Type 2 Diabetes prevention and food for Diabetic people : Insulin levels are improved due to the presence of polyunsaturated fats in walnut. The result is good sugar management , which is the most important for diabetic people. Other benefits are it prevents Type 2 Diabetes.
e) Cures your stress: Walnuts have the ability to lower High BP and lower your stress levels.
f) Improves and strengthens your immunity
g) Controls Your weight issues : Thus preventing obesity
h) Tonic for heart : Walnut control your high BP, its antioxidants prevent the oxidative stress, bad LDL cholestrol levels are decreased while increasing good cholesterol levels and then there is omega 3 fatty acids which are very good for heart. Together with these benefits it acts as a great tonic for heart . Thus prevent cardiovascular diseases.
i) Good for your brain : It boosts your memory. Prevents Alzheimer's and Dementia disease.Stroke is prevented as walnuts prevent artery blockage and clotting. In children it improves concentration. Those suffering from ADHD problem get a relief in form of improved concentration.
j) Skin benefits and enhances skin beauty : Walnuts gives your skin anti-ageing benefits,IT nourishes you skin by providing minerals, vitamins and essential Omega 3 fatty acids. Apply walnut oil on the skin for wrinkles/ line prevention and cure. Those have skin problems like psoriasis and eczema should eat walnuts as it eases inflammation.
k) Rheumatoid Arthritis patients get a relief in stiffness and pain reduction
Uses of Walnuts
1) Walnut kernels can be eaten straight from the shell to obtain the maximum health benefits.
2) Walnut shell is used in cosmetic industry in exfoliating products and soaps . Powdered walnut shell is for polishing and cleaning metal parts and metals. Other uses is in water filtration, coating, paints and manufacturing adhesives.
3) They are endless way to eat kernels. These kernels can be roasted, salted or sweetened as you like.
4) Oil extracted from walnut kernel can be used for cooking, salads and desserts
5) Kernels crushed into small pieces or as it is can be used as topping in ice creams , pudding, cakes etc.
6) Walnut butter is an excellent use in sandwiches, desserts or food recipes
7) Many recipes like bread, biscuits, cakes,icecreams, puddinds etc use walnuts as an ingredient.
8) Other ways of eating walnuts is overnight soaking in water. The makes walnuts soft and cool in nature when consumed
Walnuts Food Recipes
The information provided in this article is for education and information purpose only. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice. You should use the advice of your family doctor or physician before using any home remedies, supplements or for starting any new health program.