- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
Ways to Avoid Drunk Mistakes & How to Sober Up a Drunk Person
Drunken Mistakes...Face it, they happen!
Admit it. I'm not the only one to have made a drunk mistake. If you've ever been a recreational drinker and/or a partier, you have probably made a drunk mistake...or twenty. People go to jail all the time because of drunk mistakes - this has been proven by celebrities like Lindsey Lohan, Paris Hilton, and many more. Whether that drunk mistake is drunk driving, public drunkenness, or public nudity...well, I guess that depends on the type of drunk you are.
The real question though is how to avoid drunk mistakes. To altogether avoid any drunk mistakes would mean that you would NEVER drink alcohol again...but that's not fun at all! So let's forget that statement and move on to some ways to avoid drunk mistakes while still drinking and having a good time. But not TOO good of a time...or you'll end up like our friend to the upper right with obscenities scribbled in permanent marker all over your face and body.
Check out Jenna's Tutorial on Drunk Makeup!
“A lady came up to me one day and said 'Sir! You are drunk', to which I replied 'I am drunk today madam, and tomorrow I shall be sober but you will still be ugly.” - Winston Churchill
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin
“Here's to alcohol, the rose colored glasses of life.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald
“Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.” - Drew Carey
“I went out with a guy who once told me I didn’t need to drink to make myself more fun to be around. I told him, I’m drinking so that you’re more fun to be around.” - Chelsea Handler
“Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.” - WC Fields
“Do you drink?" "Of course, I just said I was a writer.” - Stephen King
Ways to Avoid Common Drunk Mistakes
The first common drunk mistake most recreational drinkers would like to avoid is drunk driving. A. because it is dangerous and B. because you could lose your driving privileges...and Lord knows we need our driving privileges! We don't want to end up in jail like our mentor Paris Hilton, now do we? So how do we avoid making a drunk mistake like drunk driving. It's easy. Don't drink and drive.
- take a cab home if you've had more than a couple drinks within a span of 2 hours
- call a friend or family member to come pick you up if you can't afford a taxicab
- hitch a ride with a friend who hasn't been drinking at all or set up a designated driver before every drunk escapade (you can switch designated drivers between friends each time you all go out to party)
- if it's not too far, walk home with a friend
- if you live in the city, take the metro
- if you still can't avoid this drunk mistake, pass out on the sidewalk outside of the bar...someone will come pick you up, trust me!
So what are some other common drunk mistakes that we could avoid? Talking too much or saying too much, otherwise known as diarrhea of the mouth. This is especially tricky when you're drinking around someone who you may work with or someone who may be particularly judgmental of the things that come out of your drunken mouth. So how do we avoid making this oh-so-common drunk mistake? You could do one or more of the following:
- duct tape your mouth shut (I'm kidding, of course...unless you're serious)
- really make a conscious effort to analyze what you're saying before it comes out of your drunken mouth
- only talk to people who you know won't judge you for being loud and drunkenly blunt
- don't go partying with someone from work or church whom you know won't appreciate your drunken, sloppy fun-ness!
Probably the MOST common and regrettable drunk mistake (specifically for the ladies) is the one-nighter (if you know what I mean). Most guys are proud of these and would not find this to be a drunk mistake at all but more of the REASON they go out! But ladies on the other hand, well...let's just say we've made drunk mistakes like this that haunt us for the rest of our lives. So how do we avoid drunk mistakes of the physical kind?
- go by a general rule - if he's not hot/nice enough to be your boyfriend, you'll probably regret being with him the next morning.
- if he's trying to take you home the first night, he's probably not boyfriend material.
- go out with a group of girlfriends and make a pact to watch each others' backs in situations that could become hairy.
- always take your drink with you to the bathroom and other places...don't leave it with a guy you don't know (avoid being drugged at all costs...the next day you might not even realize you were drugged!)
- don't hook up with a random guy from a dark nightclub...chances are when the lights come on and your beer goggles are off he'll look TOTALLY different!
- if you do hook up with a guy while drunk, just make sure you go to your own house (avoid going to any guy's place...this ensures that you're not going home with a psycho killer)
Keep these rules on a piece of paper in your pocket to remember them when you're out drinking...scratch that. Don't do that...people will think you're crazy and you might not even be able to read it anyway!
Clues That You Might Be Too Drunk...
More on Drunk Mistakes & Drinking:
How to Sober Up a Drunk Person (or Yourself!)
Want to know how to sober up a drunk person...or yourself? There is more than one way to sober up a drunk person, and many times more than one of these things needs to be done in order to sober up a drunk person to a desirable level. Of course the best way to to answer how to sober up a drunk person is to have them stop drinking first.
- drink at least 2 HUGE cups of water, but more is even better (alcohol dehydrates your body so re-hydrating your body and brain will help tremendously).
- eat a big plate or bowl of something very filling (my favorites are always left-over chinese food, pizza, or cheeseburgers. While not healthy, these types of food always help me to sober up quite a bit after a night of drinking).
- Take a shower. Never take a bath after a night of heavy drinking. If you pass out in the tub, you run the risk of drowning!
- Some claim that a cup of coffee can help sober up a drunk person. This never works for me, but then again if it works for you...use it!
Written and copyrighted © by Kitty the Dreamer (May Canfield), July 11th, 2012. All Rights Reserved.