- First Aid
Ways to Heal Sprained Ankle Fast
If you are pretty fond of doing some sports activities, even if you are not an athlete, chances are sprained ankles are something you have often come across. Well, such a kind of injuries can happen due to quite a few factors. Some of the commonest factors are the stretching, partial rupturing and complete tearing off of your stout ligaments which are supposed to connect the ankle bones. In short, an ankle sprain can be considered to be an injury that happens to either the ligaments, muscles or tendons that are located around the articulation joint, which is the ankle in this case.
How Do You Know You Have Sprained Your Ankle?
You can tell when you have sprained your ankle if you notice swelling, skin bruising or discoloration or if you feel painful on your muscle or joint or if you feel that your joint is not functioning properly. However, this does not necessarily mean that there is nothing you can do about your sprained ankles. In fact, there are some ways that you can try to help you heal your ankle sprain fast.
This Is How You Get Over Sprained Ankles Quickly
So, here’s a list of things you should do:
- You need to avoid moving the area with the sprained ankles. When necessary, you can use a splint.
- The next thing is, of course, to take a rest. If you keep on carrying out activities that may well trigger the swelling or pain, you are reducing the chances for the tissue inside your body to heal.
- Cold compresses often turn out to be very handy as well. By applying them right away on the area with the ankle sprain, you can reduce the swelling. However, it is not a good idea at all to apply the ice right on your skin without any intermediate medium. If you are asking why it has to be this way, the reason is because ice minimizes swelling besides numbing the pain. Speaking of the ice compresses, for the first 2 days starting from when you sprain your ankles, it is recommended that you apply the ice compresses in several sessions, each of which should last approximately 15 up to 20 minutes.
- Of course, applying a bandage is something you should not miss, either. Nevertheless, you need to make sure that you don’t bandage the sprained ankles too tightly. Bandaging them firmly will do. The bandage should be applied for a minimum of 2 days otherwise the swelling and bleeding are likely to go out of hands.
- The next thing you will have to do may seem quite a difficult one yet you have to try it. This step is meant to decrease or prevent bleeding of your internal organs. While you are trying to sleep at night, try to raise your sprained ankles so that it goes higher than your heart.
- Now, in order to heal sprained ankles or ankle sprains quickly, keep RICE on your mind. RICE stands for “Rest, Ice, Compression and immobilization, and Elevate the area”.
- When the ankle sprain detected is seemingly quite serious or severe, never ignore the pain that may occur. If any parts of the body feels painful, rest that part. Additionally, never insist on giving something to the sufferer by means of the mouth.