Prevent Aging of the Skin
Preventing Premature Aging
Most people try to find ways to her to prevent aging of the skin and their body in general. After all if your hair turns gray you can always dye it another color. Certainly keeping your weight in a healthy range and exercise will help your body generally have a younger look.
However, people often look for anti-aging measures to slow down the process of aging. There are many types of facial creams, treatments and even plastic surgery to treat this problem, but prevention is always the best solution.
Enhance Skin with Food
Some foods that are terrific skin enhancers: leafy green vegetables; easily digested proteins such as tofu, sunflower seeds and milk; foods high in zinc such as quinoa, pineapple and beta-carotene rich foods such as carrots or cherries.
Nuts such as almonds, walnuts and pecans help support the skin with their protein and lubricating fat content. There are also some skin friendly spices including tumeric, cumin, black pepper and fennel. Antioxidant-rich organic fruits and vegetables are also excellent for the skin.
Facial exercises also help to keep your face toned, which will give you a younger look.
Causes of Skin Aging
- There are many causes of premature aging and probably the most commonly known is smoking. Smoking includes cigarettes, cigars, pipes and even secondhand smoke, as each of these is unhealthy. Smoking causes or worsens many diseases and damages every tissue and organ in the body. Smoking constricts the blood vessels so the skin is not as well-nourished, which is why aging of the skin will happen more rapidly. Stress increases cigarette consumption among smokers. The healthiest choice is to quit smoking and there are some medications and things on the market that can help you do that if you truly want to quit.
- Sun exposure, particularly tanning beds, will speed up the process of aging. Use a quality suntan lotion, which blocks the harmful things UVA and UVB rays. If you a want suntan lie out in the sun for just one to two hours a day using quality suntan lotion.
- There is new research that ties eating sugar with making your skin sag in wrinkles prematurely. When sugar reaches your bloodstream it gloms on to proteins and forms advanced advanced glycation, which damages the collagen of the elastin fibers that keep your skin strong and supple.
- Too much salt in your diet will also cause tissues to swell, which can harm the elastin in your skin leading to premature development of wrinkles.
- Fizzy soft drinks contain high acidity, high sugar content or sugar substitutes. Soft drinks have been found to cause serious cell damage by researchers at Sheffield University. They found sodium binzonate, a common preservative, which is found in most leading brands of soft drinks actually switches off vital parts of our DNA, leading to accelerated aging.
- Alcohol can cause blood vessels close to the skin to burst, which will leave broken veins visible on your face. Since alcohol also causes severe dehydration, the skin prematurely wrinkles in roughly the proportional amount of alcohol you consume. However, red wine contains resveratrol, which is a potent antioxidant.
- Caffeine, which is present in coffee, tea, hot chocolate and colas, can also deplete the skin of its natural moisture, damaging its ability to maintain healthy cell growth.
As all of these foods listed are so common in our diets, so eat all things in moderation, and use good skin care products to help prevent aging. Staying hydrated throughout the day will also help your skin stay better nourished.
Rare Conditions that Cause Aging of the Face
Progeria is an extremely rare genetic disease that rapidly ages a person beginning in early childhood. There is no cure for this disease and life expectancy for child with progeria is about 13 years although some children may live to 20 years. There are actually 14 other medical conditions that cause premature aging in children, which are associated with different syndromes.
Werner syndrome causes premature aging that begins in adolescence or early adulthood resulting in the appearance of old-age by 30 to 40 years.
Xeroderma pigmentosum is another rare pigmentary disease caused by an enzyme deficiency, which has 42 different types of symptoms. There are several other similar diseases that I won't list in this particular hub, but I felt it was important to let you know that such terrible diseases exist. These diseases make a common little wrinkle sound irrelevant, as there is no cure for the diseases listed above. Of course, research is ongoing.
Diseases that Affect Skin and Aging
Hypothyroidism is a common disorder that occurs when the thyroid gland is under-active, therefore not producing enough thyroid hormone. Hypothyroidism slows the body's chemical processes and metabolism, which leads to symptoms, such as fatigue and weight gain. Fortunately this is a treatable disease.
There are 419 causes of tough skin conditions, and many of these lead to premature aging. People with tough skin tend to get more calluses, have scaly skin or they may get more serious diseases, such as Scleroderma.
Although baldness seems to be a little bit more in vogue at this time, it is still often associated with aging. There are 517 different causes for baldness causing the loss of scalp hair. Some diseases or medicines may cause baldness as a side effect.
Lady with Gray Hair
Aids to Beautify Skin
In addition to the information listed above, it is important to avoid harsh chemicals in your shampoo, soaps and skincare products, as the chemicals irritate the skin. While a strong preservative or antibacterial agent and skincare products kill bacteria they also destroy and signs that trigger absorption of lubrication. They may result in permanent dry patches, oversensitive skin or increase susceptibility to sun damage.
Every type of skin needs cleansing and gentle exfoliation. Choose the products that are appropriate for your skin type. After your shower or bath is the time for you to use lotion on your body while your skin is still damp. Gently exfoliate your face at least twice a week and use a good night cream on your face and throat each night, as this goes a long way towards preventing wrinkles.
If your hair is turning grey and you want to look younger is very easy to dye your hair with a permanent dye or a shorter acting one.
Green tea has 20 percent more antioxidants than vitamin E. Drinking two cups of green tea daily will have aid in keeping your skin healthy and help prevent premature aging. Drinking green tea will also help to prevent sun burns and prevent darker spots on your skin.
My Skin Care Routine for "flawless looking" skin (by Kandee)
It is important to take care of your skin throughout your life if you want to avoid wrinkles and have soft supple skin. Makeup must be removed every night before bed and a night cream applied to your face and neck. You may use a toner before the cream in less you have very dry skin. Being consistent is the most important component to good skin care.
Avoiding the hazards listed above and eating healthy will have a great impact on preventing premature aging.
Skin Care for Women
Do you routinely remove makeup at night and use a good skin care product?
The copyright, renewed in 2018, for this article is owned by Pamela Oglesby. Permission to republish this article in print or online must be granted by the author in writing.