Wedge Pillows for Sleeping, need more support?
Very few people sleep without pillows of some description but few realize the benefits of sleeping with a particular pillow or for using it for a particular reason. The general purpose for using a pillow when sleeping is to provide comfort and support however that does not only encompass placing a pillow under the head or even what type of pillow or a specific shape of pillow or the filling that a pillow is made from.
Wedge pillows for sleeping are designed for a specific purpose and from a specific ultra support material. They can be used in various ways and is generally regarded as a multipurpose pillow. The type of mattress you sleep on is also important but the wedge pillow will help even if your mattress is not ideal.
What is a wedge pillow?
Wedge pillows for sleeping are triangular shaped pillows made for a relatively firm material and are used for medical purposes and for people confined to bed or bedridden or just as a support for the head while reading in bed. Wedge pillows are also made to support other body parts such as the lower back and the knees and are then rectangular as opposed to triangular.
Reasons to use a wedge pillow for sleeping
- If you suffer from GERD (gastroesophageal reflux) which is when the gastric juices in the stomach are automatically regurgitated and rise up into the mouth and which also cause extreme heartburn you will appreciate a method of restricting the acid reflux which is unpleasant and if it reaches the mouth can damage the enamel on the teeth then a wedge pillow is the answer.
- To elevate and support the head while reading in bed
- Placed beneath the lower back or the lumber region of the spine wedge pillows for sleeping will support that area and align the spinal column to assist with pain management or prevent lower back pain.
- When positioned beneath the feet to elevate them during sleep allows for better circulation of the extremities and will also relieve some of the swelling of feet and ankles if the need arises.
- If you have any form of respiratory distress or sinus problems the wedge pillow will help you to have a peaceful night sleep.
- Should you suffer from sleep apnea the wedge pillow place beneath your head will alleviate some of the symptoms associated with sleep apnea however it will not eliminate the problem.
- Can also help to reduce the frequency of snoring or just the intensity of the problem.
- Can also be used to support leg muscles that have been strained or when a ligament has been torn.
How to choose wedge pillows for sleeping
- Wedge pillows for sleeping are generally made from firm foam which is made of polyurethane and retains its shape and firmness for a long time.
- Memory foam wedge pillows for sleeping which by its name is a pillow that however manhandled or put under pressure by any portion of the body will always revert to its original shape and firmness.
- Wedge pillows are made in various sizes depending on which body area needs support and when choosing the size pillow you require you can match it to your personal requirements. They are available in small medium and large sizes.
- The wedge pillows in addition to the size are made with various elevations depending on your personal needs or which area of the body it is going to support.
- They usually have a permanent cotton cover and it is advisable to fit a loose cover that can be removed for laundering purposes.
If used to elevate your head wedge pillows for sleeping will keep the breathing passages open and will be beneficial for multiple areas of concern as it provided much needed support. Irrespective of the reason for using a wedge pillow it is guaranteed to improve the quality of sleep. Aside from a more comfortable sleep the people who suffer from GERD and particularly sleep apnea which is debilitating at the best of times, they will derive tremendous benefit from wedge pillows for sleeping as both conditions are detrimental to health and in the case of sleep apnea are extremely dangerous. Both conditions require medical intervention but the wedge pillow is only there to assist with a better sleep experience. Wedge pillows should never be used for infants without consulting a medical practitioner first.
Wedge pillows for sleeping have multiple uses but the most significant ones are those associated with respiratory and gastrointestinal medical problems that require an elevation of the head to clear the airways or prevent acid reflux. However many people claim that the wedge pillows have saved their marriages where one partner suffers chronically from snoring. It it not a cure for any of the issues discussed but will effectively alleviate the symptoms and ensure a better nights rest.