Weight Loss and Dietary Benefits of Konnyaku, a “Broom for the Stomach”
Plus: Ways to Make Konnyaku and Recipes to Enjoy It
Eaten in Japan for almost 1,500 years, konnyaku is a jelly-like food that has become known as “broom for the stomach” for its abilities to facilitate weight loss and deliver other vital health benefits to the human body.
As a broom for the stomach, konnyaku cleans the intestines, has practically zero calories, is packed with fiber, and makes people feel full rather swiftly, making it an ideal companion for weight loss.
How Konnyaku is Made
Konnyaku is an all-natural food for good health and weight loss.
It is made from konnyaku potatoes that are grown in China, Korea, Japan, India, and other countries in Southeast Asia with tropical climates.
Because it can be found in many places, it is known by several names:
- devil's tongue
- elephant yam
- konnyaku potato
- snake palm
- voodoo lily
In Japan, people make konnyaku from konnyaku potatoes to add to their everyday foods like sukiyaki and oden.
It is even made into shirataki noodles.
Here are the simplified steps by which Japanese people make konnyaku:
- Harvest konnyaku potatoes.
- Clean the potatoes by washing them.
- Cut the potatoes into thin strips.
- Dry the potato strips.
- Mill the potato strips to make them into flour.
- Pour in water into the flour.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add calcium to konnyaku. Do this by adding in calcium hydroxide or egshells’ calcium.
- Mold into desired shapes.
- Remove from containers.
Eat konnyaku alone or with other healthy ingredients.
Konnyaku and Its Nutrients
Konnyaku is excellent for the health.
- It is super low in calories. Per 100 grams, it has 5 to 7 calories, 96 to 97 grams of water, 20 to 60 milligrams of potassium, and 43 t0 75 milligrams of calcium.
- It has almost zero fats. It has 0 to 0.1 grams of lipid or fat and no fatty acids.
- It is loaded with fiber. It has anywhere from 2 to 3 grams of dietary fiber.
- It is filled with minerals. It has calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc.
- It is an alkaline food, meaning it is not acidic and has nutrients that can prevent cancer. It is an all-natural food.
Dietary Benefits of Konnyaku
Clearly, the benefits of konnyaku go beyond weight loss.
- Konnyaku regulates cholesterol levels little by little and does not push them dangerously low.
- It may prevent diabetes. It does this by speeding up the body’s absorption of sugar, thereby reducing sugar levels in the blood.
- It can lower high blood pressure even without the intervention of medicines.
- It can prevent obesity and aid in shedding of excess pounds. Its fiber content can reduce consumption of calories and even reduce ingestion of foods. It can also make one feel full quickly.
In gist, the dietary benefits of konnyaku include:
- has low calories
- prevents diabetes
- prevent high-blood pressure
- normalizes cholesterol levels
- prevents obesity
- helps in weight loss
- has fiber
- has minerals
- has little fat
Now, it is time for some recipes using konnyaku.
Recipe for Fruity Konnyaku Jelly
Ingredients for Fruity Konnyaku Jelly
- konnyaku – 1 pack of 10 grams; powder jelly form
- mango – 1 medium-sized piece; ripe; peeled and cubed
- melon – 1 medium-sized piece; peeled and cubed
- orange juice – 2 tablespoons
- strawberries – 150 grams; cubed
- sugar – 100 grams
- water – 1 liter
Steps for Making Fruity Konnyaku Jelly
- In a pot set over medium heat, pour in water.
- Add in konnyaku jelly powder.
- Add in sugar.
- Mix until powder and sugar are dissolved.
- Pour in orange juice.
- Allow to boil. This should take about five minutes, maximum.
- Place fruits equally in cups.
- Pour in jelly mixture into cups.
- Serve chilled.
Recipe for Asian Konnyaku Steak
Ingredients for Asian Konnyaku Steak
- cooking oil – 2 tablespoons; low-fat
- garlic – 2 cloves; minced
- konnyaku – 1 block
- sesame seeds – 2 tablespoons
- sugar – 1 tablespoon
- teriyaki sauce – 4 tablespoons
Steps for Making Asian Konnyaku Steak
- In a medium-sized bowl, pour in teriyaki sauce.
- Add in sugar and garlic.
- Cut konnyaku block into lattice shapes.
- Place the cut konnyaku in the bowl for 20 minutes, making sure to turn each of its side over.
- In a pan set over medium heat, pour in low-fat cooking oil.
- Allow oil to heat up.
- Fry konnyaku.
- Once konnyaku is cooked, transfer it into a platter.
- Season with sesame seeds.
Enjoy your konnyaku, a great food for weight loss and good health!
Copyright © 2012 Kerlyn Bautista
All Rights Reserved
Interesting Hubs About Japanese Foods
- Top 5 Japanese Super Foods for Long and Healthy Life
- Time-Tested Effective Japanese Foods for Weight Loss
- Weight Loss Benefits of Shirataki Noodles and Many Healthy Reasons to Eat Them
- Weight Loss Benefits of Soba Noodles and Healthy Reasons to Eat Them
- Miso – Health and Diet Benefits, Plus Recipes
- Wakame – Health and Diet Benefits, with Quick and Easy Recipes
- Health and Weight Loss Benefits of Ocha or Japanese Green Tea
- Natto – Its Dietary Benefits and Ways to Enjoy It
- Okara – Japanese Food for Healthy Diet and Weight Loss