- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
What Can I Do to Help Combat Indoor Allergens?
Do You Suffer from Indoor Allergens?
Around 40 million people suffer from indoor and outdoor allergens and each year more than 17 million people will visit the doctor at least once because of allergies. And many other people treat their allergy symptoms with over the counter drugs, humidifiers, or air purifiers.
Some of the common allergy symptoms are:
- watery eyes
- itchy eyes
- itchy throat
- sinus pain
Untreated allergy symptoms can cause problems depending on the severity. If you suffer from allergies, seek the advice of your doctor or health care provider.
For mild cases, self-care can help reduce your allergy symptoms.
- Air purifiers
Allergic to Her????
Antihistamines can help prevent or treat your allergy symptoms. These medicines help by blocking the histamine. There are different antihistamines on the market and have a wide variety of side effects. Some common medications that are used to treat allergies are:
- Plus many others that are prescribed by your Doctor
Some of the know side effects depending on the drug you are taking is: drowsiness, dry mouth, blurred vision, dizziness, and many more. Read the side effects listed on the medication bottle for more information about the side effects for the drug that you are currently taking.
Popular Air Purifiers
Air purifiers help allergy suffers by cleaning the air that is around them. Most of them help allergy suffers reduce the amount of dirt, dust mites, pet dander and remove other odors from the air. There are many different types of air purifiers on the market.
- HEPA Filters - This is the most popular type of filter on the market and when used it can eliminate up to 99.5% of allergens. However, not all hepa filters can be treated equally. Some popular models include: Hamilton Beach 04383 True Air, Honeywell 18155 Silent Comfort
- Ultra Violet (UV) - These filters use an ultraviolet light that the air particles pass over. Then the UV light kills the bacteria and other containments. Some popular models include: Winix Plasma Wave 3500
- Ionic Filters - These filters work by ionically charging particles and trapping them on a cartridge inside of the unit. Most of these filters have a fan that draws the particles into the unit and pushes the clean air out the other side.
Before making a air purifier purchase, carefully research the type of air purifier that you would like to purchase. It's a good idea to read reviews to help determine which is the best air purifier is best suited for your needs and budget.
Remove Carpets from Your Home
If you are unable to control your allergies with over the counter allergy medicines, an air purifer, and avoiding known allergens. Many health care professionals will suggest that a homeowner to remove the carpeting from their house. Carpet attracts many allergens and its hard to properly clean. Carpet traps:
- pet dander
- pollen tracked in the house via clothing, shoes, pets
- dust mites
- many more substances
If you live in a rental house, removing the carpet probably isn't feasible. As a homeowner, you can easily remove your carpets and replace them with hard wood floors or tile. This is not an a cheap option; however, it will add value to your home and it will help reduce the allergens in your home. Add an air purifier and it will help keep the dust to a minimum.