- Mental Health»
- Personality Disorders
Symptoms and Signs of Bipolar Disorder- Explosive Behavior- Causes and Treatment Options
Explosive Behavior and Why
What Is Bi-Polar Disorder?
I'm sure almost everyone has heard of the word "bi-polar." Bi-polar disorder is a disease in which the body cannot seem to stabilize the mood, energy, activity level and more. People that are bi-polar can seem super "high" then seem super "low." In fact, we almost use the word nonchalantly as if it was a "normal" every day word. In fact, living with someone bi-polar can be a nightmare and we really need to stop using the word so frivolously.
What Causes Someone to Be Bi-Polar?
I would like to give you information on why people have explosive behavior before I go into the interview. Explosive behavior is sometimes linked to a disorder called "Intermittent Explosive Disorder." Intermittent explosive disorder is the non-ability to stop aggressive impulses. They get totally out of control and cannot stop themselves. Anything could cause someone with this disorder to blow at any any second. One day they are laughing and the next day, if someone irritates them even just a little, they literally go off the deep end.
Do not be surprised if you live someone who is bipolar or has intermittent explosive disorder, to have things been broken in your home. People with this disorder has been known to throw things, kick things, and punch things. They do like to yell and belittle you and can downright hurt your feelings.
It makes it hard for others to be around a person with this disorder because they are literally waiting for the fuse to go off.
Diagnosing Explosive Disorder or Behavior
Diagnosing IED is made after a series of other conditions are ruled out. The conditions that are ruled out first are usually:
Read Up On Mental Illness
Other Types of Mental Conditions
There are a lot of mental conditions and/or health problems that could go along with explosive behavior and it is best to seek medical help. Statistics show that it is hard to get the person with this disease to admit they have a problem; therefore making it hard to even get one to go seek help. The person with the disease says thinks everyone else is the blame for making them angry, and that the one they are blaming is the problem of the situation and not them. It is very difficult for others to be around people with mental conditions.
Treatment for Explosive Behaviors
The good news is that there are treatments available to help people with this disease. There is a combination of medicines and therapy available that do wonders. However; the problem is getting the person to admit they have the problem and getting them to a health professional for help.
The Interview With A Real Jerk
While some of you may chuckle at the title, please remember that it is not a funny situation for the people living with an ass. The interview I am doing is with a friend of mine and her brother has Intermittent Explosive Disorder. He agreed to do this interview with me. Today is his so called "good day." Maybe later, it may be different.
Questions I asked the "Jerk"
- What makes you angry with people?
- Do you think you have a problem with anger?
- Do you consider yourself a nice person?
- Do you agree your house walks on eggshells?
- Have you tried to control your temper?
- Would you admit you have problem?
- Why don't you go see a Dr. about the anger?
- Do you see yourself as the victim in this?
- Suggestions for others that live with you?
- Do you think your rage will get worse?
Warning Sign-This Is What It's Like
Answers From The "Jerk"
- They just piss me off and don't listen.
- Yes, but if people would listen or pay attention, then I wouldn't get so angry
- Sometimes. I would give you the shirt off my back if you needed it. I don't see myself as an ass like everyone else.
- Yes, and I don't know why. Always assuming the worse is going to happen at home.
- I really don't know if I tried before or not. I probably have, but again, I don't have the problem.
- Sometimes I just feel like I want to jump out of my skin. I never hurt anyone, it's just I do get pissed off easy.
- I don't want to go on medicine and if people would just do what I ask, then everything would be okay.
- OH ya, I'm the victim. It's always my fault and I'm the ass. No one does anything wrong.
- That's why I live with my other brother, he understands me and he gets mad too.
- I don't know, it depends. I just get mouthy at people, I don't consider myself an ass like my sister says I am.
Well, there ya go. That's the answers a person with explosive behavior gives. By the way, he got ticked off at my questions. Imagine that! Just let me say, I know this person very well and they have a heart of gold. (not kidding). As he said, he would give you the shirt off his back and bend over backwards if you needed him. Maybe that's why he doesn't have a girlfriend because he's so angry all the time.