What The Man Cave Is To Men
The Solitude of Man in Man Space
Women - No Shirt - Free Drinks
Rising Star (HubNugget Nomination - April, 2012)
Rising Star (HubNugget Nominated)
For the week of 4/20/2012 this hub was nominated for the Hub Nugget award.
While the hub did not win, place or even show, I was honored to even be considered among some great writers here. I did not write the hub with the intention to win nor do I consider myself to be a professional writer but a special thanks to the HP staff for the consideration.
The Solitude of Man
I do not always want to have a place where everyone knows my name, like the popular United States 80's television show called Cheers. I do not always want to gather in my crib with my friends like the popular United States 90's television show called Seinfeld. I do not always want to think about the next job or the college fund or saving for retirement. Sometimes I just want a quiet place to read the Sunday paper or relax or simply a place to go to when I need to remove myself from the world.
Call it mantuary or man space but the man cave sign says it all to me. I am not the original man cave owner but I do believe this place is a man sanctuary. As the name implies, Man Cave is meant to be a simple place for a man to get away from life. In my case the man cave is a simple get away and simply decorated.
Man Cave Origins
The Evolution Of The Man Cave
Our home two door garage was not always the man cave. We actually used it to store my 2009 Jeep Wrangler and my wife's 2006 Toyota RAV4 but we quickly filled it up by moving items from our shed to the garage. This practice eventually forced us to use our driveway for the vehicles as the garage became filled with yard tools. As the years went by and a few garage sales later, when the garage started emptying out, I realized that I could use my half of the garage for grilling all year.
I first brought our backyard grill to the garage several years ago and it has worked out great ever since. I dress warm in the Winter months when I want to grill bison, chicken or turkey. The garage has been an extension of our kitchen for years until it became clear that I could once again evolve it. This time I brought the bar from the back yard patio set into the garage at the same time we were in the market for a new couch. This actually solved two problems for us. The first problem was that we could no longer fit the back yard patio set into the shed but we wanted to cover the set in the cold months. The second problem was that we desperately needed a new family room couch but did not want to throw the old once out for sentimental reasons.
So I completely emptied out the garage, threw out all non mandatory items, moved the bar and couch to a comfortable location and arranged my man space accordingly. By the time I was done rearranging, hence my Man Cave was born. The picture above is how it looks today (April 2012) while the videos below walk you through the left and right entrances as best as a non professional can record. YouTube has a nice feature when up upload a video which allows enhancements but I am not sure why either of these videos appear sideways sometimes. The footage is normal when viewed and it is ironic that the Billy Joel song My Life is playing in the background.
A Garage to One and Man Cave to Another
10 Things To Do In The Man Cave
- read the Philadelphia Inquirer newspaper without interruption
- grill or smoke a meal in the Fall, Winter, Spring or Summer
- eat cold pizza at the bar and spit on the floor
- listen to music on the Android, PSP or Kindle
- get a cold beverage from the nearby refrigerator
- sit on the couch and listen to the sound of silence
- take a nap on the couch or recline in a chair
- flip through a Men's health magazine
- flick bottle caps and try to hit a wall item
- do absolutely anything, everything or nothing at all
Vimeo - A Man Cave Build
10 Things NOT To Do In The Man Cave
- do not paint the walls
- do not carpet the floor unless it is artificial turf
- do not discuss areas that you work in
- do not complain about anything
- do not wake me in non emergency situations
- do not leave your junk in my man cave
- do not park your bike in my man cave
- do not invite friends without checking with me
- do not touch my grill or smoker
- do not EVER take a cold beer without replacing it with another
The Location Of The Man Cave
While I cannot give you the exact location of my man cave, I can say that there is a major city about 45 minutes away, there is a diner 5 minutes away (that makes the best cheese-steak in the area), the man cave is not visible from the street unless the garage doors are open and you need to dress warm in the winter season. My man cave is not to be confused with the Bat Cave as I am not a super hero in any stretch of the imagination but you are allowed to compare it to these other famous man caves:
- Friends - Chandler and Joey's apartment
- Home Improvement - Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor's garage
- Seinfeld - Jerry Seinfeld's apartment
- The Sopranos - Bada Bing room
My version of the man cave is certainly not elaborate but it does reflect my personality in that it clarifies, economizes and simplifies exactly what I need from a place to go. Although I do not consider this a spring hide away or a vacation resort, I do very much enjoy getting a beer or bit of peace of mind in there.
Thanks for reading and if you can find my man cave, you are welcome to stop by for a visit.
Man Cave Activities
listen to movie soundtracks
listen to cds or PSP
read movie magazines
listen to music from the radio
games with Android
watch movies with Android
listen to music on the radio
- 5 Great Gifts for your Foodie Boyfriend. Power tools...
Dragging your guy kicking and screaming into a healthier, more frugal lifestyle? Sometimes it's not what you say, but how you say it. These 5 kitchen tools are the ultimate powertools for food. Once he picks them up, he won't want to put them down. L
- Benefits of Renting a Storage Unit for Your Man Cave
Guys like you can find a comfortable environment in a man cave where they can listen to music, watch movies, play video games, work on their valuable collections like antique cars, and more.
- Designing the Woman's Version of a Man Cave
Men can have their
- Don’t hold back on your dream “man cave” but l...
From football to playing pool, proudly displaying his LSU flag over his MBA diploma, a man's cave is a special space for a man to fulfill his pursuits. But first you'll need to create it...
- How To Turn a Basement Into The Ultimate Man Cave
When turning a basement into a man cave make sure you have a couch, TV set, stereo and a refrigerator. Also, hang posters showing support of your sorts team. Pictures and videos are here.
- Man Caves - Should Every Man Have One?
Man caves have evolved since the beginning of time; from shelter to escape. What is included in today's man cave?
- Man Cave Alert - Must Have Gifts for the Football Fa...
Man gifts are simple if you think about the man cave and all the fun things you can do with functional furniture but with a sport theme-either hand crafted or hand painted to re-purposed or purchased.
- Plan An Outdoor Deck Project and Man Cave
If you plan to build an outdoor deck or
- Transform Your Basement into a Man Cave
Tips on turning your basement in to a room to entertain guests, a gameroom, or your very own
© 2012 mts1098