What To Do When You Can't Fall Sleep
Breathing Exercises Eases The Mind And Soul
Try to control your breathing.
Follow these steps:
1. Take a deep breath in through your mouth for 8 seconds
2. Hold it for 2 seconds
3. Exhale through your nose for 5 seconds
This should help you calm down and focus more on your breathing than any thoughts that are keeping you awake.
2. Make Some Minor Changes
Make A Few Changes In Your Environment
Simple changes can really help.
Here are a few:
1. Turn the temperature down in your room slightly
2. Open a window
3. Don't wear bulky pajamas, wear something comfortable
4. Tie your hair up so you aren't uncomfortably hot
5. Keep a fluffy pillow in your bed, beside you to hug for comfort and a small amount of warmth
3. Block Out Thoughts
Don't Overthink The Negative
Replace and change any negative thoughts with positive ones that outweigh the bad ones, even if they are unrealistic. This will help put your mind at ease slightly so you can switch off.
4. Peaceful Music
Calming Sounds Help
Put some low volume white noise or chilling piano music, with no lyrics!
This helps so much as many people find it awkward and difficult to sleep in silence, and it will also make you feel more comfortable whilst taking deep breaths.
Click on these links to listen to the calming music
- White Noise Black Screen | Sleep, Study, Focus, Soothe a Baby | - YouTube
- Fall Asleep Fast! 10 Hours of White Noise. Increase focus, soothe a baby, meditate - YouTube
- Relaxing Piano Music: Sleep Music, Meditation Music, Soothing Music, Calming Music ★77 - YouTube
- Peaceful Piano Music - Sleep Music, Beautiful Relaxing Music, Far Away - YouTube
- Relaxing Sleep Music, Sleep Meditation, Calm Music, Insomnia, Relax, Yoga, Spa, Study, Sleep,- YouTu
5. Keep Electronics Away!
Night time should be a device free zone
Studies have shown, electronics cause insomnia too,
The National Sleep Foundation advises cutting off technology use—including using your phone—at least 30 minutes before bedtime. Instead, pick up the book that has been hidden in your nightstand and begin reading before going to sleep.
But if you absolutely have to use them turn on night shift mode. This prevents the blue light rays from the screen, and the radiation would be far away from you, which could be the reason you can't fall asleep.
6. Let Your Body Relax
Soothe The Tension in Your Muscles
Before you sleep stretch your arms and legs out to release tension in your body slightly. An alternative to this is to take a warm bath before you go to bed, as when you get out of the water your muscles will be less tense and your body temperature lowers healthily.
Hope both your pillows are cold tonight!!
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2019 Delilah Clemonte