PawPADs: A Service Dog Training School
PawPADs: Pawsitive Perspectives Assistance Dogs
PawPADs is a grassroots, non-profit (501c3) located in Savage, Minnesota, that helps people with disabilities by training and placing assistance dogs to enhance their lives. Their programs are innovative in that they are designed to create positive, enriching experiences for both the recipients of the dogs and for all of those people who volunteer with PawPADs and for those who train the dogs. The result is that throughout the dog's life it benefits the individuals who work with it: trainers, volunteers, handlers, and the general public.
"I look forward to the exciting twists and turns of growing PawPADs and I remain steadfast in our vision of facilitating the magic that training and placing service dogs can have. I continue to feel privileged to come home to those beings that have had such a powerful emotional effect on me." —Linda Ball, Founder and Director of PawPADs
Creating the Magic of PawPADs
A core concept behind PawPADs is that the process of creating an assistance (or service) dog itself is therapeutic and profoundly life-altering. With that in mind, PawPADs created two programs: Project YES! (Youth Enrichment Services) and Paw Corps.
This program helps by involving "youth-at-risk" and individuals with disabilities in the care and development of assistance dogs so that they may be better prepared to face the challenges of our world today.
Paw Corps: "The Dogs who come when called...for the Soldiers who went when asked..."
This program helps veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) by having them train assistance dogs for other veterans who now face life with physical disabilities.
For more information, to volunteer, or to make a donation, contact:
8239 150th St. West
Savage, MN 55378
Phone: (952) 226-2063
Fax: (800) 655-7493
For more information, check out:
- Pawsitive Perspectives Assistance Dogs (PawPADs)
Pawsitive Perspectives Assistance Dogs (PawPADs) is a 501c3 non-profit organization headquartered in Savage, Minnesota that strives to enhance the lives of people through the training, and placement, of Assistance Dogs.
- Assistance dogs seen more frequently in Minneapolis
Have you been seeing more and more service dogs around Minneapolis lately? There's a good reason for that: there are two "new" organizations that support service dog training in the area: PawPADs and PAWS-AID.
How You Can Help: PawPADs Needs List
"Today more than ever, it is important that we build resources to ensure the sustainability of PawPADs and the invaluable community service the programs offer."
Pawsitive Perspectives Assistance Dogs is a 501(c) 3 tax exempt charity, so all contributions are tax-deductible.
- 100’ - 110' (6 foot) chain link fencing for play yard (with posts, gates and, ideally, installation)
- 1 load of pea gravel
- Vacuum Cleaner (Industrial or Dyson Animal - Must be good on dog hair!)
- Mini bus (for transporting puppies): good condition
- Gift Certificates for Home Depot, Menards, Fleet Farm, Petco, Petsmart, PetsPlus, Costco, Sam’s Club, Office Max, etc.
- Playground equipment for dogs ( www.PuppyPlayGround.com )
- Wheelchairs in good condition: manual Quickietype and Electric
- Picnic table / patio furniture
- Riding lawn mower
- Handicapped Door switches (push plates for automatically opening doors)
- Elevator button faceplate
- Phone with extra large numbers (ie: for visually impaired)
- Veterinarian Services
- Healthy PUPPIES (Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers and Golden/Lab Crosses)
- Dog Food (Solid Gold, Natural Balance)
- Frontline Plus Flea & Tick Preventative
- Easywalk Harnesses (small, med. & large)
- Plastic dog crates (medium, large & extra large)
- Agility Equipment
- Blankets & towels
- Grooming dryer (professional)
- Grooming tables (x6)
- 1st class stamps
- Computers (2 desktops)
- Printing Services
- Embroidery or Screen Printing Services
- Television (large) / home-theater system for conference room