What is Uremia?
What is Uremia?
Uremia or also known as "Urea in the blood", it is also called azotemia, which is a toxic condition that occurs when the kidneys fail and the urinary waste (nitrogen) products are present in the bloodstream. These waste products build up in the blood because the kidneys are unable to eliminate them. Uremia is also called Uremic Syndrome, which is a serious complication of chronic kidney disease. It is a life threatening condition because too much nitrogen in the blood is toxic in the body.
What Causes Uremia?
Uremia is caused form a condition that affects the proper functioning of the kidneys and its ability to filter out wastes (nitrogen) from the blood. This build up of nitrogen starts to poison the body, and starts causing severe symptoms. Uremia can be caused from:
- renal failure
- chronic glomerulonephritis
- and hypotension.
What are the Symptoms of Uremia?
- Mental confusion
- A headache
- Weight Loss
- Some dizziness
- Changes in mental status (such as confusion, agitaiton, psychosis, reduced awareness etc)
- Ammonia odor to the breath
- Heart problems such as irregular heartrate.
- Inflammation around the heart (pericarditus) and increased pressure on the heart
- Shortness of breath from the fluid buildup in the space between the lungs and the chest wall which is also called (pleural effusion)
Who Can Have Uremia?
Uremia can affect anyone.
Treatment for Uremia
Uremia is reversible if treated quickly. However, if uremia is not treated quickly permanent kidney damage may occur. Usually kidney failure is the underlying condition that causes uremia.
Treatments for uremia are:
- Cardiac medications to increase blood pressure and cardiac output.
- A Restricted diet.
- Dialysis until a kidney transplant can be performed.
- Frequently requires hospitalization.
- May require dialysis.
- Fluid therapy.
- Blood transfusions.
- Blood pressure medications.
- Ongoing treatment.
Have you suffered from uremia? If so what treatment method did you use?
What is Haemolytic Uremic Syndrome
More Great Hubs on Health!
- Dandelion - The Miracle Herb
Dandelion - The Miracle Herb
- Kidney Problems? - Home Remedies That Can Help
Kidney Problems? - Home remedies that can help
- Dandruff - My Organic Coconut Oil Review
Dandruff - My organic coconut oil review
- Menopause Symptoms - How to know if you are in Menop...
menopause symptoms - how to know if you are in menopause?
- Depression - Home remedies that can help!
Everyone suffers from depression at one time or another in their lifetime. There are many causes of Depression including a death in the family, a death of a loved one, stress, anxiety from every day life. Some suffer from post traumadic stress...
I am not a doctor or a physician, I cannot treat or diagnose any conditions or illnesses. This is for research purposes only.
Uremia is a very serious condition. so please see your doctor or physician immediately if you suspect that you may have this. Please see my other great hubs on health, recipes, and so much more. Please feel free to comment.
God Bless You and have a Great Day!
© 2014 butterflystar