What is Yoga? Why Should you Practice it?
What is Yoga?
Most people would have heard about Yoga but only a few know what exactly is Yoga. The word 'yoga' comes from a Sanskrit word called 'yogah' which means' to unite' 'to join' etc. As Yoga helps your body and mind to be in harmony along with your soul, it was named so. When you can unite your body, mind and soul and keep them in harmony, you will enjoy tons of physical and mental health benefits. Besides, you will be able to grow spiritually as well.
Origin of Yoga
Yoga was developed by the ancient Indian sages who lived several thousand years ago. Some say yoga came into existence about 5000 years ago while some others believe it has been in India for over 25000 years. I think the origin and history are not that important. What is more important is to learn and practice yoga regularly. It's enough if we know that Yoga originated from India and was developed by the ancient Indian sages. What do you say?
3 Main uses of Yoga
Yoga gives you tons of benefits. However, you can broadly classify them in 3 main categories. They are the physical health benefits you get from yoga, the mental health benefits you derive from yoga and the spiritual development you will get by doing yoga.
Amazing health and spiritual benefits of yoga
There are tons of health benefits of doing yoga. However, some of them are truly incredible and worth to mention here.
- Yoga helps to keep your body flexible. Body flexibility matters a lotto your physical health. It strengthens your muscle and improves your blood circulation.
- Yoga helps to boost your immunity. Those who do yoga regularly live a disease free life.
- Yoga helps to enhance the function of glands.When the glands secret the right amount of hormones, your will experience perfect health.
- Yoga relieves your stress.
- Yoga reduces your blood pressure.
- Yoga helps to remove your back pain.
- Yoga can help to improve your memory.
- Yoga can also help to improve your concentration.
- Yoga calms your mind.
- Yoga strengthens your mind.
- Yoga strengthens your body.
- Yoga helps to remove negative thoughts.
- Yoga helps you to stay young.
- Yoga helps you to be cheerful and energetic.
- Yoga gives you self confidence.
- Yoga enhances your self-esteem.
- Yoga improves your sex life.
- Yoga helps to overcome breathing problems.
- Yoga maintains your nervous system.
- Yoga can lower blood sugar.
- Yoga enhances your bone health.
- Yoga helps to lose weight naturally.
Three stages of Yoga
There are three stages of doing yoga. First stage is doing the physical exercises called the 'asanas'. This helps to check the functions of bones, glands etc.There are millions of yoga postures developed by the ancient Indian sages. If you don't have time to do many yoga exercises you can at least do the 'surya namaskar' (Saluting the Sun)
The second stage is doing breathing exercises called 'pranayama'. It helps to improve your lungs efficiency. It helps to supply more oxygen to all parts of your body and to blood.
The third stage is meditation. Meditation helps to calm your mind. It strengthens your mind. Meditation has several physical and mental health benefits.
Yoga to lose weight naturally
Actress Shilpa Shetty doing Yoga
Yoga strengthens your body and mind. It helps to realize one's own self and God. Yoga has tons of physical health, mental health and spiritual growth benefits. By doing yoga regularly, you can live a happy, healthy, peaceful, blissful and successful life.