What is a Dream and Why do we Dream-Some amazing facts
What is a Dream and Why do we Dream
This word dream is in itself fascinating and people from thousands of years have concentrated their studies to this question that "why does a Person dream?" The million dollar question is that whether dreams have physiological, biological or psychological function is not yet clear.
Not putting it in a very mysterious way, let’s start by answering a very simple question that what is a dream?
A very famous definition quoted by Freud, also called the father of dream research was "dreams are disguised fulfillment of repressed wishes", it is a "royal road to the unconscious". His theory contributed in a large way to the popularity of dream theories interpretation. There are many theories proposed in the study of dreaming which is called Oneirology and the proposals are
It states that brain tries to interpret some random signals, random neural impulses which in turn results into dreams
2. Short term to long term
In this aspect, one brings the short term memories into long term storage. Here the continual activation theory comes into picture which states that our brains are never free and always storing memories and from temporary storage it moves to long term storage.
Everyone in this world has this one thing, this one particular element present and that is called a WISH. This theory states that dreams are wish fulfillments.
4. Undesirable collections
This theory states that we dream because we want to get rid of the undesirable collection of ideas which are in our mind. Thus we dream in order to forget and eliminate the unwanted.
It talks about, which I never came across but one might, that dreams stimulate threat events and it prepares one for the coming events which one has already faced and gone through in dreams and it will be easier for him to get through then as he will be prepared as to what it coming.
6. Problem solver
All of us have one thing again in common which is problems we deal every day. Studies have shown that people in their dream try to get solution to their problems and they get their answers. But problem to this is that one remembers only a bit of dream and not all and thus may be we may not be able to recall answers.
Some amazing facts about dream
- An average person has dreams about 1400 to 2100 a year. But you forget about 95% of the dreams you have. How much you got?
- Also an Average person spends 6 years of his or her life dreaming.
- A very interesting method which is my personal favorite here is lucid dreaming which is you are aware that you are dreaming and you convert it into what you want. That is to say to control the dreams
- You cannot read or tell the time while dreaming. Ever tried?
- Animals dream too
- People with no eyes too dream
- 12% of the people only dream in black and white. Not all dreams are colorful right.
- It s not possible to dream when you snore.
- Mundane activities rarely appear in dreams
- 90% of the dream is lost in the first minute you wake up
- Egyptians were the first to create Dream Dictionary in 4000 B.C.E
Enjoy your dreams next time and check which theory you dream comes under.