- Alternative & Natural Medicine
What is acorus calamus? What are the health benefits of acorus calamus?
Acorus Calamus and its health benefits
Acorus Calamus is a medicinal plant that generally grows near lakes, ponds and streams. It is also called as sweet flag. The root of Acorus Calamus has medical properties. It is abundantly found inIndia, where it is a popular home remedy. The very smell of the root of acorus proclaims its therapeutic properties. Acorus Calamus is body coolant that also aids digestion. The dried root of this medicinal herb is widely used inIndia.
How to use Acorus Calamus?
The dried root of Acorus Calamus can be chewed directly. Though it is bitter in taste, it has excellent medicinal properties. No matter how old is the root, it doesn’t lose its properties. In Ayurveda treatment Acorus Calamus is used for treating mental disorders and epilepsy. It is also useful for treating diarrhea.
Other Indian herbs that heal
- Saffron whitens skin; Rose flower petal for rose cheeks and lips; hibiscus for long and healthy hair, hibiscus preventing cancer; lotus and marigold for skin
- The best home remedy for stomach pain, diarrhoea and indigestion for adults and children.
- Indian herbal drink that cools body - A natural drink with medicinal properties. Forget soft drinks and artificial squash drinks. Use sarsaparilla drink
- A wonder diet for summer - Arrowroot can cure stomach heat, loose motion, stomach pain and urinary tract infection.
- Cumin seed, fennel seed, Nigella seed and Purple fleebane, effective remedies for gastric problem
- Vayambu for infant colic, gas problem and indigestion. Why infants are given paste of vayambu or vasambu
- Keezhar nelli for jaundice. How keezhar nelli cures urinary infection, jaundice, kidney problems, gallbladder stones and tuberculosis?
- Why you should eat asafetida, black pepper, anise seed, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves
- Indian spices that heal bronchitis, asthma, jaundice, leprosy, ulcer, mouth sores, chicken pox scars. Know more about the healing properties of Indian spices and medicinal herbs that heals
Acorus Calamus, a remedy for colic in infants
Acorus Calamus is widely used in India. It is given to infants for making them colic-free. It should however be given only in mild quantities. The dried roots of Acorus Calamus is rubbed against stone and the paste is obtained. Quarter teaspoon of Acorus Calamus paste is mixed with honey and is given to infants. It is known as vayambu or vasambu in India. Vayambu honey mix is believed to be good for infants. Giving vayambu and honey for the first time is considered sacred in India. It has ceremonial significance. Parents give vayambu and honey to child in a special ceremony.
Vayambu or Vasambu medicinal values
Vayambu has good medicinal values. It soothes their stomach and makes them free of gas and intestinal worms. It would relieve them from colic stomach pain due to gas. Vasambu honey mix is given to children early morning. It is believed to be good for body heat and bowel movement. Acorus Calamus is believed to enhance the voice of children. Acorus Calamus is also expected to enhance intelligence in children. Acorus Calamus is a natural coolant that can heal your bowel.
Acorus Calamus for diarrhea in children
Acorus Calamus helps cure diarrhea in children. Acorus Calamus can cool their stomach and bring healing. Acorus Calamus paste, in small amounts, is given to them. Acorus Calamus is also found to be effective for stomach pain and worms in children. In India it is used as a home remedy for baby colic, stomach pain and diarrhea.