What to Do if You Hear Strange Noises Outside
First Of All, Do Not Panic
I am lucky enough to live in an apartment block, or as we call it a council house maisonette. My neighbors are directly to the side of me and below me, so if I do not feel safe for any reason then I know they are literally just the other side of the wall.
House safety comes in many forms. Keeping the house safe from fires, blown out windows and bad plumbing is a must. But what happens if you do not feel safe in your house because you have heard strange noises outside and you live on your own?
Facing a burglar or intruder can be a terrifying experience. You need to keep the intruder out, raise the alarm, or protect yourself from the burglar. And that takes planning.
Not everybody is lucky enough to have neighbors literally over the fence from your front door.
Living in a house right out in the sticks, especially on your own can be a daunting prospect. Especially in the winter with the snow and ice blocking you off from getting in that car and driving to safety.
So, what to do if you hear strange noises outside? Well, first of all, do not panic.
I Hear Strange Noises Help!
Imagine if you are totally on your own. You are sitting in front of the TV eating a snack, its eleven o clock at night and totally quiet. Then, all of a sudden you hear someone or something crashing around outside. What to do? Well first of all here's not what to do!
- Do not open the front door and yell hello? You could come face to face with a serial killer!
- Never turn on all the lights in the house thinking that will make you feel safe. The stalker outside will be able to see you through all the curtains.
- Do not arm yourself with a knife and go and try to tackle them yourself. More people are injured in this way that actually getting attacked by the perpetrator. The reason being that if you are holding a knife the bad guy will get it off of you and use it.
- Do not try to escape through the back door unless you know for a fact that the person is out the front. Opening the door will get their attention and you need to be able to run pretty darn fast.
How To Deal With An Intruder The Safe Way
- Get in one room and lock down the door. If its the middle of the night then it probably will be your bedroom. Put a chair under the door handle or use a key.
- Now turn on the lights.
- Nows the time to phone the police. If by any chance you don't have a cell phone in your room then open the window and yell at the top of your voice for help.
- STAY IN THE ROOM. This must be reiterated, its the safest place.
- Arm yourself with something. Either a baseball bat, if its conveniently placed under the bed, or more likely a table lamp.
- DON'T WORRY ABOUT GETTING INTO TROUBLE FOR HURTING THEM. TOUGH I SAY, YOUR HEALTH IS WHAT MATTERS
- Now is the time to make some noise. Yell, scream and holler at the top of your voice, if the neighbors can't hear you, then they can't help you.
- If you are in the middle of nowhere then yelling won't really help unless you can bluff your way by screaming that you have someone else in the house, or the police are on their way. You can even say that you are filming them. That may just scare them off.
- Make sure you have a window open as long as you are upstairs. Just in case the intruder tries to get into your room you will have an escape route.
- If you really are in the middle of nowhere then DO try to escape but ONLY if you are fit enough to run, its not a good idea if you are older and fat. You won't get very far.
- And last but not least do NOT be scared to bash them silly if they come at you. Being arrested afterwards is something that you can face later. And anyway they deserve a good punch!
Home Alarm Systems
Keep Your Own Personal Alarm Handy
Face To Face Attack.
So what happens if you come face to face with your attacker? Well, there are a few things you can do, but always try to keep yourself safe first.
- If you come face to face with your attacker try to keep calm. No sudden movements and talk in a quiet voice.
- If you wake up and see someone in your room, don't freak out straight away. They may be trying to steal your jewelry and other goods. Sometimes its best to keep still and make out you are still asleep, they may take the stuff and go. Your goods are not as important as your life.
- If they start yelling at you and trying to attack you then throw everything that you can at them, and try to escape. Hit them with everything you have, as long as this is the only way to get clear of them. Do not attack them first.
- If in doubt just try and run away as fast as you can. But make sure you don't trap yourself. You know your house better than anyone else, try to use this to your advantage.
- Never make eye contact. Act submissive towards them and only talk in a quiet voice. This way you should be able to calm the situation.
- If in any doubt of your safety then use everything in your power to protect yourself and your family. If you hurt the intruder or even worse then it's them or you. Simple as that.
- The most important thing is to get out safely. If this means sitting quietly while they ransack the house then so be it. Be polite, as for peace and calm and then hope they just want your jewelry. Things can be replaced, loved ones cannot.
- Always try and keep a fully charged mobile/cell phone with you, especially at night. You never know when you are going to need it.
Keep Your House Safe
Whether you live way out in the countryside or in a large city, its best to have a home alarm system to keep safe. The second a burglar tries to break into your house, the alarm will trigger and the police should be there in minutes.
But don't just rely on the alarm system. Make sure you always have a cell phone nearby, especially at night. Keep doors and windows locked at all times, even in the day. Fit safety locks on windows throughout the house, so if you do forget to lock them they will only be open a few inches. Keep a baseball bat or something you can use for a weapon under your bed, behind the sofa or under the table. Preferably one in each room.
Obviously, if you live in a country where you are allowed to use a firearm then make sure it's not locked and loaded but is there in case you need it. If not, then anything will do as a weapon.
Just remember, your aim is to stop the burglar hurting you. If you see them running away then let them go. Your safety is paramount. Never run after them for two reasons. The first being that they will turn on you and put you in danger and the second is that if you attack someone from behind then you can go to jail. Like it or not, that's the law.
Be safe. Use your common sense.
- Child Locator Gadgets keep Your Kids Safe With These...
Keep your children safe with these latest Child Locator tracking devices. From toys to watches.
- Harassment Safety On Hubpages
Writing for the Internet is part of our lives. But safety is paramount. Tips and common sense ideas to carry on writing safely.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2012 Nell Rose