What to do for restless legs syndrome
The Causes of Restless Legs Syndrome
Restless leg syndrome has essentially been classified as a nervous system disorder and because restless leg syndrome also affects sleep, some doctors have classified it as a sleep disorder.
The problem with restless leg syndrome is that there have been no studies that have been able to indicate any definitive causes for the disorder. The truth is that the cause of the disorder isn't known yet so treating the disorder has become very difficult.
In fact symptoms have also not been definitely listed, and the list of symptoms associated with restless leg syndrome are vague at best.
Scientists do however agree that there are certain things which can bring on an attack of restless leg syndrome and if the attack is brought about by one of these then the treatment obviously includes removing the trigger. So what to do for restless leg syndrome often relies on what triggered the disorder to begin with.
Relax and forget about RLS
What to do for RLS?
Although the prognosis seems grim because scientists have yet to pinpoint a specific cause, there seems to be agreement that circulation or the nervous system holds the key to this often debilitating disorder.
So What you can do for restless leg syndrome often includes improving circulation or nerves within the system.
What to do for restless leg syndrome:
- First try to eliminate the possibility that the disorder is being caused by one of the drugs you are taking. If it was triggered by a drug then speak to your physician about an alternative to the medication you are taking.
- Try to eliminate a deficiency in the vitamins or minerals that the body needs.
- Try hot and cold compresses on the affected area - the compresses may help to promote better circulation that could help ease the symptoms of restless leg
- Try improving circulation by soaking in a hot tub or whirlpool to improve circulation
- Ask your partner or a friend to massage the area to improve circulation
- Exercise improves overall health and circulation. According to most sites, stretching exercises done early every day could help to improve the symptoms
- Since the nervous system may be involved, exercise may help rid you or stress and this may be an underlying cause of the condition
- Creating a healthy sleep routine and aiding sleep with natural alternatives like cocoa or chamomile tea - natural remedies to improve sleep - may help you to get a better nights rest
- Some over the counter medication can be taken to help to reduce pain, but you need to discuss medication options with your physician since medication can exacerbate the disorder.
- In some cases RLS can be caused by a deficiency. Vitamins deficiencies linked to RLS include Vitamin B, Magnesium, Folic Acid and Iron. If your RLS is as a result of a deficiency, then taking these supplements could help to alleviate the symptoms
Have you beaten RLS?
Have you beaten RLS?
What has worked for you RLS
If you suffered from RLS, let us know what worked for you. Communication is essential and often people who have beaten the disorder may not only be a source of information for other sufferers but also may be an inspiration and a reason to keep trying to find a cure.
Restless Leg SyndromeClick thumbnail to view full-size
What to do for RLS
Eliminate drugs which may be causing the disorder
Eliminate any vitamin or mineral deficiencies
Improve the nervous system
Look for therapists offering PEMF therapy
Restless Leg therapies and Alternatives
Since restless leg syndrome can be caused by a number of factors, the first thing you need to do is try to eliminate the obvious.
Try to recall when you began to experience the symptoms. Did you begin any new medications? Are you experiencing other symptoms that could be an indication of a deficiency. You need to examine the symptoms of vitamin and mineral deficiencies to eliminate those possibilities in terms of the underlying cause of your RLS.
If there is no medication or deficiency underlying the condition, then it is time to take some action in terms of relieving the symptoms you are experiencing. Since RLS seems to be linked to circulation or the nervous system, you need to being doing exercise to increase circulation. You can also increase your intake of foods and herbs that promote a healthy nervous and circulatory system.
The latest PEMF technology has been shown to be very beneficial for both circulation and the nervous system, so its no wonder that PEMF therapy is proving to be very beneficial to those who suffer from RLS. Lots of doctors are now investing in PEMF devices, so you can check your local medical practitioners to see who offers this type of therapy. Physiotherapists also offer this type of therapy.
Restless Leg Alternatives
Urge to move the legs
Eliminate underlying drugs
Vitamin Mineral Deficiencies
Pins and needles
Check for deficiencies
Strange sensations in the legs
Improve circulation and the nervous system
How to Treat Restless Leg Syndrome
Chiropractic Help for RLS
Chiropractors are trained to realign the spine and skeletal system to help energy flow within the body and to relieve tension and thereby aid health. I swear by my chiropractor and it is amazing how many disorders can be treated by ensuring the spine is alignment and that the nervous system is healthy.
If you are suffering from RLS, then you can speak to your local chiropractor about treatment ideas or advice. If the RLS is being caused by nervous system then a chiropractor may be just the type of therapy you need.
PEMF Frequencies for RLS
PEMF and RLS
There have been a number of breakthroughs made with regards to use PEMF to treat restless leg syndrome.
PEMF is an acronym for Pulsed Electro Magnetic Frequencies and PEMF supplies electromagnetic frequencies to a particular area within the body. PEMF improves circulation and the frequencies also help to improve the nervous system.
Since restless leg syndrome is often as a result of insufficient circulation or a problem with the nervous system, it seems obvious that a therapy like PEMF could actually be used to help combat the symptoms.
PEMF devices vary in cost and cost thousands of dollars for ones that doctors use in their practices to a few hundred dollars for home based devices.
Irrespective of the therapy you choose, it is important to know that RLS is not a life sentence. More research is being done about the disorder and it is only a matter of time before a conclusion is reached by science. In the meantime, you can treat the symptoms of the disorder by improving circulation and the nervous system, by getting enough exercise and rest or by investing in a PEMF device or investing in PEMF therapy at a practitioner near you.