- Quality of Life & Wellness
What's so Wonderful about Winter - 10 Fun Suggestions to Beat Winter Blues and Brighten up your Winter Wonderland
The Magic of Winter
Winter has a magic all its own. The countryside is transformed and adorned with a special kind of misty romantic beauty. The days grow shorter and the air crisper.
Here's some fun facts to do with winter
* Icicles form most often on the south side of buildings.
* All snow flakes have 6 sides.
* Ice is a mineral.
* The wind chill factor measures heat loss from exposed skin.
* No two snowflakes are alike.
* Chionophobia is to do with the fear of snow.
* Antarctica set the record for the world's coldest temperature ... -129 degrees F.
* Hot water freezes faster than cold water.
* The tallest snowman was 113 ft 7 ins tall and named Angus. He was created in Bethel, Maine in 1999.
* The 'winter blues' were first diagnosed in 1984 and have more recently been named 'seasonal affective disorder' or S.A.D. ... seriously.
Embrace the joys of winter
So ... rather than lament the passing of balmy summer days, tropical summer fruits and gorgeous tans, why not indulge yourself with some of the many wonderful delights that winter brings with it.
Here's 10 suggestions:-
1. Catch up for a chat with a friend over coffee and some 'wicked' cake in a warm cosy cafe.
2. Go shopping for the 'perfect' red winter boots - elegant, stylish, 'comfi as', and hopefully 'on sale'.
3. Snuggle up under a warm fluffy duvet and enjoy a 'sleep in' on a cold rainy Sunday morning.
4. Soak up the atmosphere of a room that's lit only by candles, with your favourite music playing and someone special by your side on the sofa - even if it's only your cat.
5. Totally rug up and go for a brisk walk in the misty rain or sleet and then come home to thaw out with a hot cup of cocoa (with marshmallows) by a toasty warm fire.
6. Treat yourself to a pamper session or even more fun - invite a girlfriend.
7. Enjoy a meal of Hot pumpkin soup with warm crusty bread for supper - even better curled up in front of your favourite chick flick.
8. Fill the house with brightly coloured fresh flowers and the aroma of scented candles.
9. Take a stroll around your neighbourhood and savour the smell of wood fires burning as dusk approaches.
10. Enjoy a leisurely breakfast on your verandah in your flannelette jammies with the warm winter sun shining - and a good book to read.
Quotes about winter
'The colour of spring is in the flowers; the colour of winter is in the imagination.' Terry Guillemets
'In seedtime learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy.' William Blake
'Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire; it is the time of home.' Edith Sitwell
'Winter is the season in which people try to keep the house as warm as it was in the summer, when they complained about the heat.' Author Unknown
'In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer.' Albert Camus
'The English winter - ending in July, to recommence in August.' Lord Byron
'No winter lasts forever, no spring skips its turn.' Hal Borland
Hope you enjoy this wonderful season.