- Alternative & Natural Medicine
Which Natural Remedies Help Prevent and Treat Sinus Infections?
What natural remedies help prevent and treat sinus infections?
What is a sinus infection (also referred to as sinusitis)? Basically, its an infection or inflammation of the lining of the sinus cavities. The sinuses are the hollow spaces in the cheeks and around the eyes. If you have ever experienced sinus pain, you know exactly where they are situated. They are generally triggered by a cold or allergies.
What are the causes of a sinus infection?
When you have a cold or allergies, your sinus cavities fill with fluid. The moist environment inside your nose makes it the perfect breeding ground for viruses, bacteria or fungi. Generally, viral sinusitis takes place when the lining of the sinus cavities become inflamed. The swelling from the viral sinusitis can cause blockage and the fluid cannot drain from the nasal passages. This is the perfect opportunity for bacteria or fungi to multiply in your sinus cavities. Nasal allergies can also block the nasal passages, which is one of the main culprits of chronic sinusitis. The combination of swelling, blockage and growth of bacteria and/or fungi in the sinuses is what causes pain around your face and headaches. Its very debilitating for individuals who chronically have to deal with sinus infections.
Neti Pots on Amazon
Oils and VapoRub on Amazon
What natural remedies are effective in treating sinusitis?
In nature, there are herbs and plants that are antifungal and have antibiotic properties. They have been used successfully to relieve the sinus swelling and stopping the infection.
Here are some examples:
- The Neti Pot is an old Ayurvedic technique. It is a nasal rinse used with salt to clear the blockage of the your nasal passages, and at the same time leaves a protective salt coat in your sinuses that naturally kills the bad bacteria and also helps reduce the inflammation. It also flushes out allergens that may have logged in your sinus cavities further exacerbating the infection. Many people find that after a few times of using the Neti Pot, they can breathe freely from both their nostrils.
- Steam – If you mix a half a clove of garlic, 2 drops of tea tree oil, 2 drops of pau d’arco (a South American herb) and 3 drops of eucalyptus oil into 2 cups of boiling water and inhale the vapors for 2-3 minutes and repeat twice a day. The vapors loosen the congestion and drain your nose.
- Topical Oils –You can also rub eucalyptus oil, Vicks VapoRub or tea tree oil underneath your nose, above your eyebrow or underneath the earlobes. The oils will absorb through your skin and bring you relief.
- What to eat – Eat garlic. If you can tolerate eating half a clove of garlic a day while you have the symptoms, even better. You can have garlic in capsule form. Pau d’arco and Olive Leaf Extract are very effective and can be purchased in liquid form. Just follow the directions on the labels.
In a nutshell, these very simple suggestions that can help you take control of you sinus infections and move forward with your life.