- Diet & Weight Loss
Why And How Coffee Help In Weight Loss
Many people are confused about the role of coffee in weight loss. This hub provides the solution. This hub answers the question - "Why and How Coffee Help in Weight Loss".
Coffee is one of the most consumed beverage in the world. Some people drink it for taste, some drink to stay awake, some drink it to stay active.
But do you know coffee can be highly effective in burning fat. In fact, it is one of the most effective supplements to improve metabolism. But only if used properly.
This hubs aims to describe when and how coffee should be used to lose weight.
Ingredients of Coffee Beans
You would say it's a no brainer. Coffee contains caffeine. Well, caffeine is just one of the ingredients of coffee.
Other ingredients are:
- Chlorogenic acids
No doubt, caffeine is the most important ingredient of coffee. But few of the other ingredients also play vital roles in weight loss.
- Study - The effect of chlorogenic acid enriched coffee on glucose absorption in healthy volunteers and its effect on body mass when used long-term in overweight and obese people.
- A small amount of theophylline is one of the products of caffeine metabolic processing in the liver.
- Theobromine provides central nervous system stimulatory effect.
Role of Caffeine in Weight Loss
How caffeine helps in weight loss is by mobilising fat from fat tissues. This causes fat tissues to break down the fat and release them into the blood.
As we know caffeine increases levels of adrenaline in our blood. But do you know this adrenaline travels to the fat tissues and cause them to break down fat.
Also, caffeine stimulates our central nervous system which further causes fat cells to break down fat.
Here are some studies to support the facts.
- Effects of caffeine on the metabolic and catecholamine responses to exercise in 5 and 28 degrees C.
- Effect of caffeine on the metabolic responses of lipolysis and activated sweat gland density in human during physical activity.
- Caffeine and the central nervous system: mechanisms of action, biochemical, metabolic and psycho stimulant effects.
How Coffee Increases Metabolism
Metabolism plays a vital role in weight loss. Higher the metabolic rate more weight one can lose.
Many studies have been conducted over the time to prove the effects of coffee on metabolism. While some studies show an increase of 10-15%, some studies show an increase of as high as 30%.
Some of these studies are:
How to Use Coffee for Weight Loss
So far coffee looks like the saviour of humanity. It's a boon for obese as well as lean people. But it is not that straight forward.
Many people have tried using coffee for weight loss. They did lose a significant amount of weight in the initial phases but in the long term, the weight loss was not that high.
The reason for this is that , over the time, our body gets used to coffee and becomes tolerant to its effects. Hence, as the time goes by, the effects of coffee diminishes.
So what do we do? Well I recommend using coffee in iterations/cycles. How long should a cycle be varies from person to person. For most people the following cycle should work.
- Drink coffee regularly for 10 days.
- Take a break of 4-5 days.
- Another cycle of 10 days drinking coffee regularly.
- So on ....
Side Effects of Caffeine
Although the side-effects are very low and rare, I would like to list them out here for everyone. If you already have any problems related to these, avoid drinking coffee.
- Increased blood pressure
- Coffee is an effective supplement to lose weight.
- Coffee increase metabolism as well as provides instant energy.
- Drink coffee in cycles for best results
- For caffeine sensitive people, please consult your doctor before following.