Why All of Us Should Learn About Emotional Intelligence?
With the increase in the availability of various sources, we are stuffing our brains with lots of information and knowledge. But is that enough to compete and sustain in this cruel world? As the world is too strange to predict we need something extra with the IQ. Parents are bombarding their children with numerous books and preparing them for the competition, but how many parents are actually preparing them emotionally, to deal with the gigantic mountain of pressure that they are either facing daily or going to face in the near future.
In 2019, nineteen students had taken their own lives in the Indian state of Telangana after failing in the state board exam.
In July 2019, shocking news flashed when Mr. V.G Siddhartha's body was found motionless in the river of India. He had killed himself by jumping into the river. He was the founder of the cafe chain, Café Coffee Day, and served as its chairman and managing director. There are many such examples that one can find in the newspapers or online which are alarming and eye-openers for us. Now the question arises where are we lacking?
There are certain emotions that will kill your drive; frustration and confusion. You can change these to a positive force. Frustration means you are on the verge of a breakthrough. Confusion can mean you are about to learn something. Expect the breakthrough and expect to learn.” — Kathleen Spike, Master Certified Coach
How Emotional Intelligence Can Help?
What is the value of being a genius, made up of a fragile glass that can be cracked easily by an emotional attack?
If you simply could not be able to handle the mammoth of stress or pressure then the tremor will crumble everything on it's from your relationships to your workspace. People with well developed emotional intelligence are generally considered as self-confident, persistent, motivated, and able to control themselves.
Now the question arises what is emotional intelligence?
Emotional Intelligence(EQ) is the quality that enables us to confront patience, insight, and foresight and many other problems that we face in our affective relationship with ourselves and with other people. Your IQ(intelligence quotient) with a certain set of challenges easily like mathematical, technical, commercial, linguistic, or logical but you will fail miserably if you made a mess of your personal life. Some people are highly powerful and intelligent but are restless and intolerant which makes them unhappy. This happens because of a deficit that deserves to be called emotional intelligence.
There are hidden messages in every emotion. when we identify them and act upon them, we become emotionally intelligent.
Techniques to Nurture Emotional Intelligence
- Do a SWOT analysis of your behavior: Know your strengths, weakness, opportunities, and threats which will not only help you to have a good command of your behavior but also you can curb the impact on others too.
- Plan ahead: If you are an entrepreneur, a business leader, a manager tight deadlines may suffocate and bring out the devil in yourself. A self-aware and emotionally intelligent person would plan their time smartly and get the work done well in advance of any deadlines.
- Accept the Change: Don't stress your mind because of a change, be it in the behavior of a person or a change in business norms. Prepare yourself accordingly because change is the only constant we have to accept this fact. Think of trustworthiness, integrity, and comfort with change.
- Feed your mind with positivity: Nothing is permanent, things will change in the near future. What you are thinking could harm you, it may not happen in the near future. Analyze the possible reasons for your failure, work on it, and go ahead. Keep on motivating yourself and your team: This plays a vital role in achieving the goal of emotional intelligence. A well-motivated person always strives to achieve his goal, motivate others to achieve their goals.
- Develop social skills: Talk and share your views with your friends, try to understand their behavior, build a healthy relationship. Compassion is understanding other people’s emotional makeup. It’s like considering others’ feelings, especially while making decisions.
You need to balance your IQ with EQ on the balance sheet of your life, to manage your relationship efficiently.
© 2020 Suchismita Pradhan