- Diseases, Disorders & Conditions
Benefits of Sleep .
Sleep is a behavioral state of mind that every individual need to live, a healthy life. We spend about 1/3 part of our lives sleeping. Sleep is not just to fil
How sleep disorder affect our health?
Why we need to get more Sleep:-
We are gradually learning the importance of sleep and are realizing that it takes care of our overall health and well-being. Studies show that when people get lesser sleep at night(less than 6 to 7 hours) their risk of developing various diseases begin to increase.So what ever we do the entire day we must make it a point that we must always sleep well at night.Its never to late to understand this fact of life.Here are some reasons why we need complete peaceful sleep.
- Sleep interacts with our blood vessels.So lack of sleep is said to be associated with worsening of high blood pressure and rise in bad cholesterol,our heart will be healthier if we get 7 hours of sleep each night.
- Our body cells produce extra protein while we are sleeping.These protein molecules form the building blocks for the cells, allowing them to repair damage while we are sleeping. The damage caused by stress,ultraviolet rays and other harmful exposures or pollution are taken care while we are sleeping .
- Memory consolidation often occurs during sleep ,that's the time when our brain is busy processing our whole day's activities. Our undisturbed sleep is the crucial time for our brain to retain memories .The quality sleep helps us to remember and process things better. Studies also show that working in the night slows thinking skills and make you feel lethargic the following day.
- Sleep boosts our immune system.Disturbed sleep has fewer disease fighting cells in the blood .Melatonin, a cancer-fighting antioxidant is produced when we sleep. The severity of old age chronic disorders takes place because as we grow older we sleep less or have disturbed sleep and this in return affects the carbohydrate metabolism and hormone functions of our body.
- Sleep has impact on many chemicals in your body, (serotonin) People with a deficiency in serotonin often suffer from depression. We can help to prevent depression by making sure that we get the right amount of sleep every night.
- People who work Night-shift, their waking and sleeping rhythms are interfered, They are prone to greater risk of breast cancer.
- It is also seen that during sleep our body produce chemical to repair damaged tissues of our stomach lining ,so insufficient sleep raises the risk of ulcers in the stomach and intestines
- Young kids who seems to sleep less are more likely to take drinks and drugs during adolescence.It becomes a cause of juvenile delinquency .
- It is has been found that less sleep has bad impact on the hormonal balance of our body and affect our appetite. The less sleep you get, the higher your body mass index tends to be. The hormones ghrelin(a hormone that boosts hunger) and leptin( are important for the regulation of appetite) have been found to be disturbed by less sleep.Controlling or losing weight is possible if a person gets good sleep .
- Napping in between a day makes you smarter ,small naps at work lower the level of stress. Napping also improves memory, cognitive function and mood and assimilates your day's work and gives you restful mind to think more .