- Mental Health
Why should we help others?
The question often comes to mind, why should I help others when I have everything with me and I don’t need any help from anyone. Let’s discuss this point why help should be given to others and what effects does it have on the helper.
We all know that man is a social animal. He cannot live alone forever. The maximum punishment that is given to culprits in the jail is to lock them up alone without any company. If a man is kept alone for a longer period of time, he may go insane. Therefore, this is in the very nature of man to mingle up with others members of his species.
While living together, situations arise when everyone has to depend on others for one thing or the other. It could be a small thing like requesting to pick up something or other big jobs.
If we help someone, it builds a confidence in him or her. They develop self-confidence. Self-esteem is one of the basic needs of humans. When someone is helped, particularly, without asking for it, a sense of self-realization is achieved. This will always pay back to the helper in future in one way or the other. When we help someone, it gives an inner pleasure to us because this is also human nature. It give us a sense of satisfaction that further develops to a sense of belonging, which is actually the basis of a society. Society is a group of people living together that have some sort of relationship among them. If we help someone and helps someone else, a chain reaction is started which is beneficial for the society.
Do you believe helping others is a positive gesture?
‘There is always happiness in giving than receiving.’
The sense of belonging further leads to other qualities in one’s self. These include confidence, happiness, motivation, positive thinking and many other things. All these things further help you achieve your goal in life and to succeed. Helping others is thus a win-win situation in which no one loses anything. The person helped feels much better that raises your self-esteem.
No one can deny that he was never helped in life. Everyone grows up as a result of an integrated system of help developed by the society. All of us are a better stage now in life than earlier. A lot of people helped us in reaching this stage, in different forms and relations. We could not have been here without our parents, siblings, friends, relatives, colleagues and those whom we come across face to face at different times of life, though for a short time. If you think it the democratic way, you will be convinced that it is always good to help others.
Altruism is always hard to achieve but efforts need to be made for that. If you keep trying and keep thinking positively, you will definitely achieve that level.
Helping others thus has a lot of advantages. A few of them are:
- You feel good about yourself.
- A sense of belonging is establish between you and the other person. If this continues for a longer period of time, it is beneficial for society. Other people learn from this and overall a healthy society is established.
- Your small help to someone could be a small step to something big. As this whole world is now a global village, the action starts and spreads throughout the world. You feel amused because you initiated that at the very start.
- If the kindness is passed and it carries on, it continues to multiply forever. This makes the world a better place to live.
- A kind act is never forgotten. You will definitely get some reward for that, in one way or the other. Therefore, this is a kind of investment. It increases your value in society, among your peers.
- When you help, you facilitate encouragement. If a person is experiencing hard time in his life, showing love and behaving kindly with him can really uplift that person from that situation.
- If you help others, it will be an example for your family, children and friends. They will learn from that. Thus, you are playing your positive role in society that is expected from you.
- Many people just need a start to do something good. You can be the first step for them.
- It always has a positive impact on your health. Once you start giving, you will develop a habit and then it will continue and you will feel happy and healthy.
- Helping others is the easiest thing to do for others. This will always make a difference for you.
- It is a great way of thanking God for the blessings that you have but others don’t.
- By helping, you develop selflessness and that is a great virtue. It will change your thinking all the way and will make you a remarkable human being.
These are the reasons we should always help others as much as we can. Even meeting people with a pleasant smile on the face is a great help. It might help others recover from a bad mood. Moreover, this is the best way to thank Almighty God for the blessings that we have but others don’t.
Keep helping, stay blessed!