- Diet & Weight Loss
Why Does the Brain Need Fat?
Dark Chocolate is Beneficial
Fat For the Brain
Being called a fat head may not be such a bad thing after all. It seems that the brain is 60% fat. To boost brain-power and improve our memory enhancing abilities, foods with omega-3 fatty acids are necessary.
Why Omega-3 Fatty Acids?
Omega-3 fatty acids contain DHA and EPA. Both are crucial to maintaining brainpower. DHA (DocosaHexaenoic Acid) is particularly important for boosting the memory enhancing chemical known as acetylcholine.
Additionally, omega-3 fatty acids have antioxidants such as polyphenols and Vitamin E which repairs damage from free radicals (those toxic compounds). And good news - a bit of dark chocolate is highly recommended.
Which Types of Foods are Recommended?
- dark chocolate - and it must be dark, preferably 70% or more - milk chocolate will not do. Please see the links below for the many benefits of just a bit of dark chocolate.
- ground flax or flax seed oil - quality oils are cold pressed
- cold water fish such as tuna, sardines and salmon
- soybeans - must be organic because soy in the U.S. is a major GM (genetically modified) crop. Unless it says 'organic' it is GM.
- eggs - organic, avoid those just labeled 'free range' - it is meaningless. Also avoid eggs from battery hens.
Other foods include: pumpkin seeds, walnuts and wheatgerm
Fats you must avoid:
There are certain fats that have become rampant in the Western diet and actually interfere with the good fats and their benefits for brain function. These are man-made fats that are labeled 'hydrogenated' or 'partially hydrogenated.' The U.S. still permits a small amount of this harmful fat in processed foods and allows the manufacturer to claim to have 'zero' trans fats. Read the label.
Wait! Doesn't the brain also need Omega-6 fatty acids?
Yes, it does. For the brain to function at its best it needs linoleic (omega-6), and alpha linoleic (omega-3) - but there must be a balance. The Western diet already contains far too much of the omega-6 fatty acids in such foods as cooking oils, and mayonnaise. Others are margarine and chicken.
For more interesting facts about the benefits of dark chocolate see links below!
Improve Brain Function with Chocolate
- Wine, Tea, and Chocolate Improve Brain Performance
A study from December 2008 shows that wine, tea and chocolate all enhance cognitive performance. A team of researchers from Oxfords Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics in Norway examined the...
Will You Add Dark Chocolate to Your Diet?
For the sake of brain fat, would you eat a bit of dark chocolate?
Other Dark Chocolate Benefits
- Dark Chocolate Helps to Fight Hunger
Dark chocolate has many health benefits, including the ability to help you feel fuller. Recently, researchers in Copenhagen found that people who ate dark chocolate had fewer cravings afterwards. Milk...
- Dark Chocolate Can Lower Your Blood Pressure
According to a study in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), dark chocolate can lower your blood pressure. By eating just 30 calories worth of dark chocolate every day, your blood pressure...