Why Most Diets Work and Which One is Right for You
Most diets work - but which one is right for you?
It’s the same story, time and time again, people try new diets and they work. It’s exciting to see the weight come off, and then after weeks, sometimes months, the weight starts to creep back on. It leaves you with a feeling of self defeat. The truth is the reason why there are so many diets out there is because almost all of them work. They all have a different approach to losing weight. Regardless of the diet, if you follow it correctly your body will begin to let go of the weight. You are either eating less calories, less carbohydrates and/or less fat, which in turn leads to less YOU!
Not all diets are created equal, some are easier to follow than others depending on your lifestyle. There are several different factors to determine what diet is right for you. Some diets require homemade meals, with very little, if no processed food, and other diets are easier to follow on-the-go. Some diets are for people who like to eat a huge variety of foods, and some are easier to follow if you don't have to count how many portions you are eating. Regardless of the diet, the key to losing the weight is going to be you. Your dedication is going to help you reach your goals, the diet you chose needs to be the best diet to fit into your life.
An important roll in any diet is to get your body moving. Exercise is a common factor is every diet. Each diet requires you to exercise because as hard as it might be this is a key factor to losing and keeping the weight off.
I can think of almost twenty different diets off the top of my head and all of them have good points and all of them would help you to lose weight, but not all of them are right for everyone. Below I have listed my favorite diets, why they work and if they would be the right diet for you.
The South Beach Diet
1. This diet is considered a low carb diet, but instead of cutting out all carbohydrates, this diet will teach you healthy alternatives to breads and pastas, along with still allowing fruit which I consider a necessity in any diet. The South Beach diet is based on the glycemic Index, which tracks foods that make your blood sugar rise too quickly, which in turn makes it drop quickly. High glycemic index foods can make you hungry and tired so this diet focuses on the low glycemic foods.
This diet works in three phases and the first phase, which is 2 weeks long seems to be the most difficult with the strictest limit on foods. However, once the two weeks has passed you can eat most things in moderation and you don’t need to count calories or fats. This diet is ideal for anyone who doesn’t want the burden of counting calories or fats and wants to keep healthy carbohydrates included in their diet plan.
- Lose Belly Fat and Pounds on the Southbeach Diet
Tired of the scale going up, up, up? Do you want to lose weight, belly fat in particular? The Southbeach Diet helps you to do both, quickly and with ease. Many dieters have struggled with belly fat because...
- South Beach Diet
Lose weight faster with weight loss tools and an easy to follow plan from the official home of the South Beach Diet online.
2. Counting points has been around for ages because for many people this is their ideal diet. You do not have to cut any foods out of your diet, but you will find that some of them carry a higher point value than others. This diet reminds me of a budget plan, you budget your points (which are based on calories, fat, fiber and protein) and learn portion control. So by counting your points you are essentially eating less calories and less fat, which is the key to losing weight in this diet.
Weight Watchers has a large following and many ways to provide support to members. This diet is perfect for anyone who still wants to eat a variety of foods, likes the idea of budgeting out their points, and needs or wants a large support group.
- WeightWatchers.com - Official Site
Weight Watchers, founded over 45 years ago, is the global leader in weight management services.
3. The New Atkins Diet seems to have a little more variety than the old one and this diet does work. The foods are limited but if you are someone who feels hungry all the time, this diet might be the right plan for you. It is much like the South Beach Diet but less strict on fats and doesn’t phase all carbohydrates back in.
The Atkins Diet limits your carbohydrates drastically, which will put your body in ketosisa and when your body enters ketosis, stored fat will start to burn off rapidly. More information on ketosis can be found here:
The Atkins diet won't leave you hungry, but eating little to no carbohydrates can be hard on some people. However, if you would like to drop weight quickly and not count calories or portion sizes, this might be the right diet for you. .
- Atkins - Official Site - is a powerful life-time approach to successful weight loss and weight manag
Atkins - Official Site - is a powerful life-time approach to successful weight loss and weight management.
4. This diet is timeless and it works. Another diet that is similar to weight watchers but you really don’t need to be a member of anything to figure this diet out. You can find many websites on the internet (I have listed some below) that will provide you with your ideal calorie intake. If you stay within the calories you will lose weight. In order to lose one pound a week you must reduce your calorie intake by 3,500 calories for that week.
This is an easy diet as long as you eat less calories and use the right portion control you will drop the weight. This diet is good for the person who wants to eat a variety of foods and is good with portion control and carefully tracking food intake.
- Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople
SparkPeople.com is the largest online diet and healthy living community with over 8 million registered members. Create a free account today to get the tools, support, and motivation you need to lose weight and keep it off, the healthy way!
5. This is a farely new diet, much like Nurtisystems and Jenny Craig. However, this diet focuses on eating 6 meals a day. You eat 5 medifast meals and one lean and green meal. It is very strict on what you can and cannot have, and 5 of your meals will be medifast meals. This diet is another one that WILL take off the weight quickly, but needs to be followed precisely. It works by reducing calories and carbohydrates at the same time. It is a very strict diet but many people like it because it works and you don't have to think about what you are going to eat.
I do believe that this diet is more for short term weightloss and in order to make a lifestyle change you would need to transition into one of the diets listed above.
- Medifast Official Site | Quick, Easy Clinically Proven Weight Loss
With Medifast, you can lose weight quickly and easily, up to 20 lbs. in 30 days. Medifast low calorie foods taste great and fit into your busy lifestyle.
All of the diets above will work, but you need to have the right mindset and determination to make them work for you. If you are determined to lose weight and you follow one of the above diets mixed with exercise you will be on your way to dropping the pounds. Good luck and happy dieting.
More Weight Loss Articles
- Drink Water and Shed Pounds
Another diet plan down the drain, you lost a couple pounds and the excitement wore off. You hit a plateau and you no longer want to eat the food that taste like pure cardboard?! The truth is there is an easier...
- Walk at Home and Lose Pounds
For over 25 years, Leslie Sansone has revolutionized the fitness industry with her Walk Away the Pounds videos and DVDs. No longer do you have to join a gym or jog around the park to get in shape. Now it...