- Exercise & Fitness»
The Benefits of Yoga: Why Practicing Yoga is Good For You
What is Yoga?
Yoga is a Hindi discipline that is seen as ascetic and extremely spiritual. This physical and mental discipline originated in India where the aim is for the fulfillment of states of sublime tranquility and spritual insight.
This discipline includes the practicing of breath control, meditation and the embracement of precise bodily postures, with it's main focus being to heighten the health and relaxation in a person.
Yoga has been exercised for over 5,000 years and continues to be a part of many people's lifestyles day after day. The benefits of this activity come in many forms and make this discipline something that should be enjoyed in everyone's lifestyles.
Beginner Yoga Practice
Mental Benefits of Yoga
Yoga is advantageous for wellness of the mind and soul. Regularly partaking in a yoga session will result in spiritual fulfillment and a peaceful state of mind. Mental benefits of practicing yoga include:
- Mental Calmness - A practise called asana is popular in yoga and it is incredibly physical. The complete concentration required on the bodily movements results in bringing a sense of calmness to the mind. There are a variety of mediation tactics used to target breathing and the release from thoughts.
- Body Awareness - Yoga increases overall awareness of a person's body, and with time you will be expected to make refined movements to cultivate the body alignment. This can help boost a person's self confidence and allow them to feel comfortable in their own skin.
- Reduces Stress - Stress can be a barrier in many people's lives, especially for those who lead a busy schedule. Yoga can be a wondrous way to escape and reduce stress in a person. Yoga teachings like concentration can help stress management and leave a person feeling serene and calm.
- Builds Spirtuality - Yoga can teach a person to learn what's 'right' and how it is possible to deal with our lives 'correctly'. Forgiveness, gentleness and patience is taught with big value, helping to build spirituality effectively.
Physical Benefits of Yoga
The physical benefits of yoga are something to be excited about. Yoga can deliver outstanding muscle definition, toning and a generally fit physique. Physical benefits of yoga include:
- Improved breathing - Without understanding the correct breathing exercises it can be possible for shallow breaths to be taken, not giving the lungs the correct amount of air they need. Yoga includes a practice Pranayama which targets the attention needed for breathing and teaches us how the lungs should be used effectively to help the body flourish. These techniques can also help the central nervous system and clear the nasal passages.
- Muscle toning & definition - Yoga requires posture and positions to be held for certain amounts of time and this in turn helps to tone and define the muscles of the body. The muscles will appear lean, stronger with advanced muscle tone.
- Strengthening the body - The weight of the body is required for a vast majority of yoga poses. Some poses may need the weight of the upper body to hold the lower part of the body in a particular pose. This means supporting yourself in certain positions becomes easier, and the body will become stronger from the stretching of the muscles and moving in and out of poses.
- Flexibility - Yoga is well-known for its ability to broaden flexibility. The positions included in yoga challenge the body to move in ways it is not used to and stretches tight areas until they become more agile and flexible. The hamstrings, shoulders, hips and back will become adaptable.
- Pain prevention - The flexibility and strength given from doing yoga assist in pain prevention which can often hinder back pains, spinal compression and tightness. Many other pains can be concentrated on with regular yoga sessions.