- Exercise & Fitness»
Use Yoga as a Remedy for Pain
Why Should I Consider Practicing Yoga?
- Do you take pain medications faithfully to get through your day only for that pain to feel worse over time?
- Do you think you have to live with these aches and pain for the rest of your life?
- Do these medications make you feel drowsy?
- Are you afraid of the side affects and the risk you are taking with these medications?
If you answered yes to most of these questions then it is time to make a change in your life for the better. Something that works for you, something that is healthier with longterm results, something that can save you money with no risks of other health conditions, something that will help you stay pain free. That is the power of yoga and yoga is for everybody.
Yoga Changed my Life, it can Change Yours too.
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 2012. Fibromyalgia is a widespread pain and tenderness in the bones and muscles throughout the whole body. Some of the side effects are feeling tired even after sleeping a full eight hours because you are never fully asleep, difficulty focusing or remembering, anxiety, fatigue and of course the ongoing pain that followed me everywhere making me feel hopeless. No one knows exactly what causes fibromyalgia and neither does it have a cure which made me feel stressed and worsened my condition. It came to the point it was affecting me at work and in school. I had no idea what to do. My doctor prescribed muscle relaxers and other pain medications with steroids in them that I had to take every single day. The only thing those medications were good for was making me feel more drowsy and tired than what I already was and hiding the pain I felt for moments at a time. I was often thinking to myself " how did I go from being so fit, strong and athletic to having trouble getting myself out of bed and to work or school?" I knew there had to be a natural way to feel better so I decided to research natural remedies for my condition. That's when I came across yoga and it's power to heal inside and out. I've been practicing yoga ever since. I started off by buying a book called " Yoga as Medicine " by Timothy McCall. It helped me build muscles, gain strength, meditation has helped me become more flexible, more focused, less stressed, it is very easy to start and you feel yourself improving right away. I would wake up early and practice yoga for 15 minutes before going to work as an experiment in the beginning and just the first two days I felt better. Soon after, yoga became my coffee in the morning. There are different ways to start practicing yoga. Here are some ways you can get started.
Different ways to get started
- Buy a Book. If you would like to learn more about the history of yoga and which poses are beneficial to your issues and learn how to make a workout based on your particular desire than buying a book will be good for you. One book that I can recommend is " Yoga as Medicine" by Timothy McCall. This book has helped me start my natural remedy journey, perhaps it can help you too.
- Attend a Yoga Class. Find your local yoga class where you get the chance to meet new people who are just starting out and have the same goals as you do. This will be a great motivation for you. Make sure you attend yoga class for beginners and work your way up from there. Also you might have to pay a fee depending on where you go and you will need a yoga mat. Some places allow you to rent one for a fee as well.
- Buy a DVD. If you are shy about going to your local yoga class you can always buy a DVD and practice in the privacy of your home to fit your schedule and practice at your own pace. You might want to buy a yoga mat as well to make exercising more comfortable but it's not really necessary. You can invite someone you are comfortable with like your kids if you have any or a close friend to practice trying this new journey with you which can be a fun experience.
- Watch free Videos on YouTube. Watch videos on YouTube to get started. It is free and you can stream through a variety of short or long videos depending on how you are feeling.
- Look up Different Poses on the Internet. Make up your own exercises by looking up different poses based on your needs, Make a schedule to practice these poses throughout your week. keep in mind your purpose of starting this practice and enjoy your journey to your well being.
Which of these methods would you feel most comfortable starting your yoga journey with?
See for yourself with this video for relaxation, sleep and pain relief.
It's your Life
Whichever way you choose to start your long term relief and well being by practicing yoga is great as long as you have the desire to make that change and you are disciplined to not only start but to keep going. You don't have to be an expert, and you don't have to start with really long exercises. The good thing about practicing yoga is that you are in control. You can start off with an exercise of ten minutes a day or whatever schedule works for you. What's important is that you get started. Remember you are exchanging your useless commitment to temporary relief of medications and the side affects that come with them. What do you have to lose, join me in this journey. If you don't care about your well being, who will? Take a stand for yourself.