- Diet & Weight Loss
21 Healthy, Tasty, Easy Diet Recipes That Work
Are you looking for recipes for a diet that works? The recipes here all have points, per serving, assigned to them . To lose weight keep the total number of points accrued to 27 points per day.
This article is about how I lost 40 pounds with the use of the Weight Watchers program. I believe it to be an excellent "healthy eating" program. It helped me learn healthy eating habits while giving me support and encouragement along the way to a sensible goal weight. I do not claim to be a nutritionist or any sort of health guru. I am only sharing what worked for me.
This is a disclaimer: I do not speak for Weight Watchers, nor am I selling any of their products. I am in no way being paid for my opinions of the Weight Watchers program. All the opinions in this article are my own. Go to the Weight Watchers website for their information. Recipes and diet tips that helped me reach my goal are also included on this article.
1. Chocolate Malt
Be sure to try this recipe, it helps to get the dairy products that you need daily and it is also very delicious.
Serves: one = 2 PointsPlus
- 6 ice cubes
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup No Fat Half & Half
- 1 rounded tablespoon Sugar-free Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- In a blender, blend the 6 ice cubes and the milk and half & half until the ice is crushed. Add the rounded tablespoon of pudding mix and blend . Pour into a tall glass and drink with a straw.
My Story...or my history of dieting
Over the years, I've gone on many, many diets. I always thought that losing weight was personal and that I could do it myself without any help. I found it is possible to lose the weight by practically starving for a length of time, but that kind of weight lose did not last. I always gained the weight back, and then some.
I would lose weight for some specific reason like, a wedding (I have eight children and they are all married now, so you can figure that as eight times), a class reunion, or a sister's get together. And, every time, I gained the weight back after the event.
"So," I said to myself, "you need to change your attitude toward dieting and think of losing weight as a way toward choosing a healthy lifestyle." That means I needed to also change my attitude toward food----I needed to eat to be healthy.
Considering that today a person could easily live to be a hundred years old, I decided I wanted to spend the last years of my life as a healthy, happy, vigorous senior. Not one that sits in a rocking chair popping prescription pills and waiting for the end.
Having made that decision, I then had to decide how I was going to accomplish the new goal I had set for myself. I knew that I couldn't do it on my own. I was going to need to answer to someone besides myself, so I decided to find a program to help me.
I wanted a program where I wouldn't have to buy special foods. I wanted a program where I could learn what foods were helping me pack on the pounds and which food I could eat with abandon. I wanted a program that would help me make meals that were not only healthy for me, but also tasted good so my husband would eat them too. I wanted a program that talked regular foods, not one using exotic ingredients and spices.
2. Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili - from Gina's Weight Watchers Recipes
This is soooo good. I used less cumin and chili powder and omitted the extra chili peppers and the cilantro. But if you like your chili really hot, make the recipe as is.
Serves: 10 servings (1 1/4cup)=5 PointsPlus
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 16-oz. can black beans
- 1 16-oz. can kidney bean
- 1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
- 10 oz. package frozen corn kernels
- 2 14.5-oz. cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. cumin (I only use 1 teaspoon)
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder (I only use 1 teaspoon)
- 24 oz. (3-4) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- chili peppers chopped (optional) (I didn't add this)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, corn, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder and taco seasoning in a slow cooker. Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half an hour before serving, remove the chicken and shred. Return chicken to the slow cooker and stir. Top with fresh cilantro. Also try with low-fat cheese and no-fat sour cream. (extra points)
3. Zuppa Toscana - like Olive Gardens
Now that the weather is turning cooler, it's time to break out the soup recipes. If you've ever eaten the Zuppa Toscana soup at Olive Gardens, you've probably wanted to make some at home. Try this... 3 points
Serves: Makes 15 cups
- 1 # ground turkey sausage
- 1 teaspoon crushed red peppers
- 1 teaspoon Tony Chacheres creole seasoning
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons Baco bacon bits
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup Fat Free Half & Half
- 3 large potatoes, diced
- 2 cups chopped spinach or kale
- Sautee the turkey sausage and crushed red pepper and creole seasoning in a large pot. Drain the excess fat and set aside. In the same pot, sautee the bacon bits, onions and garlic until the onion becomes soft and transparent. Add the chicken broth, and cook until boiling. Add the potatoes and cook until done, about 15 minutes. Add the Fat Free Half & Half and heat through. Stir in the sausage and the chopped kate or spinach. Delicious! Also left overs are great.
4. Low Fat Rice Krispy Treats
From Ginas Skinny Recipes Gina's Skinny Taste
- 2 tablespoon light butter spread (like Smart Balance Light)
- 4 cups or 10 oz. mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- cooking spray
- Spray a 9x12 inch pan with cooking spray. Set aside.Heat a large saucepan on low heat. Melt butter spread being sure to coat the bottom of the pot to prevent sticking. Add marshmallows and melt on low heat. Stir until completely melted, then remove from heat.Add Rice Krispies to the melted marshmallows, and stir until completely combined (this is the hardest part, do this quickly before the marshmallows cool). Press into the buttered pan and cut into 16 bars.
5. Self Crust Pumpkin Pie
No need to go without dessert on Thanksgiving or Christmas! This is an anytime dessert, but one we can especially enjoy while everyone else is having dessert at a family get-together.
Serves: 1/8 pie =2 PointsPlus
- 2 eggs
- 15 oz. can pumpkin
- 1/3 cup white Splenda sugar
- 1/3 cup brown Splenda sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cup (Fat Free) Half & Half
- Mix all the ingredients together with a whisk and pour the mixture into a 9" pie pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Keep refrigerated after baking. Cut into eight pieces. Serve with Cool Whip.
The Program I Chose
first step to goal
As I mentioned in the Disclaimer, I am not a spokesperson for Weight Watchers and I don't pretend to understand all the nutritional facts figured in their program. I just know that it is a program I feel I can recommend because it guided me in the direction of healthy eating, which is why I started attending their meetings.
So, now we come to what happens at those meetings. We'll start with the first time I went to Weight Watchers. I handed over a nice chunk of cash. That happened to be a very smart move----- I wasn't about to miss a weigh-in or a meeting. After all, I'd already paid and I wanted my moneys worth.
I know that had I been able to pay each time, occasions would have come up to miss a meeting and then I'd have conveniently forgotten to go back, especially if I'd gained.
Although paying to join Weight Watchers will not insure that you'll lose weight, believe me when I tell you that it is an incentive. The money you spend to learn to eat healthy is not money wasted. You will spend more money on junk foods and medication, if you should develop diabetes, then you will to join a good weight lose program. You are worth it!
6. Chicken Nuggets - with 0 PointsPlus honey mustard sauce
If you love honey mustard sauce on chicken nuggets, make this sauce and refrigerate it for a couple of hours before serving.
Honey Mustard Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Fat Free mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup prepared Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 cup honey
Whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard and honey in a medium sized bowl and refrigerate.Makes 36 T. of sauce. 16 total points for honey. Serving size: one Tablespoon=0 PointsPlus
Chicken Nuggets Ingredients:
- 2 large chicken breasts
- Spray cooking oil (like Pam)
- to taste Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking oil. Cut the chicken breasts into bite sized pieces. Pat dry with a paper towel and then spray oil coat them, both sides, with cooking oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese in a bowl. Put a few pieces at a time in the bread crumb mixture and then place on the cookie sheet. When all are coated and on the cookie sheet, spray again with the cooking oil and bake for 10 minutes. Turn the nuggets over and bake for an additional 3-5 minutes or til done.
7. Caramel Fruit Salad
If you only try one of my recipes, be sure you try this one. You'll be so glad you did, even if you think that you aren't a fruit eater.I add grapes, strawberries, pineapple tidbits, mandarin orange slices, banana, and apple slices, cored, but with the peel. This makes a big bowl of salad, so put in plenty of fruit. Bananas and apple slices do not get dark because they are coated with the pudding mixture. Any combination of fruits will be delicous.Note: I've made this salad with sugar free pistachio and with sugar-free banana cream, but my favorite is still made with the butterscotch.
Serves: 1 1/3 cup serving=2 PointsPlus
- 1 (1 oz.) box Sugar free instant Butterscotch pudding mix
- 1 (8oz.) tub No-Fat Cool Whip
- 1 (15 1/4 oz. can pineapple tidbits, drained (keep the juice)
- 1 (11 oz.) can mandarin orange slices,drained (keep the juice)
- 2 cups seedless grapes,cut in half
- 1 cup strawberries,sliced
- 4 Gala apples cored and sliced
- Measure one cup of the drained pineapple juice---if there isn't a full cup, use the drained orange juice to fill the cup.In a large bowl, combine the butterscotch pudding mix and the cup of juice. Whisk until well blended, Add the Cool Whip and stir thoroughly.Add the fruits and mix. Chill and serve.
The next step is that you will be weighed and given a goal weight that has been determined by your sex, height and age. This was a great step for me, since at my age I'm not expected or even encouraged to be very thin.
That sounds like I'm really happy to be aging, but the fact is, that at this age it's smart to see the good in any situation. If you think that the goal weight that is suggested is too low, you can get a note from your doctor saying what he would want your goal to be. When you reach that goal if you and your doctor decide you want to continue to lose more, you can do that.
When I seriously decided to change my eating habits and to lose the extra pounds I was lugging around, my knees hurt all the time and I had a lot of trouble sleeping. My doctor had told me that for every extra pound of weight that I carried, it put seven pounds of weight on my knees. I figure I was adding 210 #'s on my knees---no wonder they hurt so much.
My knees no longer hurt, but that was a slow process as was the losing weight. As for my sleeping, I still don't sleep a lot (I understand that is also a blessing of age) but my quality of sleep is much better.
8. Crab Meat Salad
A tasty salad whether served cold or hot. One cup serving=3 PointsPlus
Serves: Eight 1 cup servings
- 1/2 bag NO YOLK cholesterol free egg white pasta, cooked and drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup broccoli, slightly cooked, drained and cooled(optional or use more peas)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 oz. fully cooked crab meat, cut into pieces
- 1/2 jar (about 1 cup) RAGU Cheesy (Light Parmesan Alfredo)
- Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning, to taste
- Cook pasta. Drain and cool. Add peas, (broccoli), and onion. Add the Parmesan Alfredo and toss. Season with creole seasoning, salt and pepper.
the third step
Next, you are given a specific number of points that will be your daily goal. You'll also receive a PointPlus tracker, a little note pad that you'll use to track what you ate and the number of points you've used.
I think it is very, very important to make good use of this tracker. It's a bit difficult when you start because you tend to forget to write what you've eaten. But if you keep at it, pretty soon it becomes a habit and you'll be entering your points religiously.
You'll also receive a PointsPlus pocket guide which lists many foods and their points count. To begin with I looked everything up when I wrote in my tracker, but after a while I started remembering the points for foods I ate regularly.
With Weight Watchers you are not discouraged from eating foods you love, you are encouraged to eat the correct portion of that food. The same can be said for eating out. The secret is to plan ahead so you can eat what you want. Save points at other meals that day and use them for your night out.Here's another great thing I love about this plan:
You can eat most, with a couple exceptions, all the fresh fruits and vegetables that you want. They are all FREE. A couple of fruit exceptions are dried fruits and fruit juices. Those do have a points count.
A couple of vegetable exceptions are potatoes, beans and corn. These also have a points value.Any fruits packed in their own juice or are canned unsweetened are also free. For instance, unsweetened applesauce and pineapple canned in it's own juice. Be sure to read the labels..
9. Chocolate No Bake Crispy Bars
These are delicious and I like to wrap them, put them in the freezer and take out one when I want a snack.
- 12 cups Rice Krispies
- 4 tablespoons Land O Lakes Fresh Buttery Taste Spread
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup Karo white syrup
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup Splenda brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Splenda white sugar
- 5 tablespoon cocoa
- Cooking spray
- Spray a jelly roll pan with cooking spray. Measure the Rice Krispies in a very large bowl. In a large pan and over medium high heat, cook the butter spread, marshmallows, syrup, peanut butter, sugars and cocoa for one minute after it comes to a boil. Pour the cocoa mixture over the Rice Krispies, stirring until well coated. Put the mixture into prepared jelly roll pan. Run water over your hands and while they are wet, push the krispie mixture into the corner and to the sides of the pan. Keep wetting your hands as necessary and pat the mixture firmly and evenly in the pan. Cool and cut into 32 pieces.
10. Seasoned Baked Potato Fries - Better than French fries
These are sooo good that your family will be asking you to make some for them too.I just spray the cut potatoes with cooking spray, sprinkle the potato fries with the seasonings and bake.
Serves: two 1 serving=3 PointsPlus
- 2 medium potatoes, russet or yukon gold washed and dried
- Cooking spray (like Pam)
- Perfect Pinch Garlic & Herb (Salt Free) seasoning
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray. Cut each potato lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices; cut each slice into 1/4 inch fries. Place the potato fries, in a single layer, on the prepared cookie sheet. Spray the potato fries with cooking spray and sprinkle with seasoning. Bake for about 15 minutes, then turn the potatoes over, spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with seasoning. Continue baking for about another 10 minutes. To make them extra crispy, broil on high for a few minutes-----watch carefully.
11. Zucchini Casserole
Delicious with chicken or hamburger. - Weight Watchers +6 points
Serves: 6 Servings
- 2 -3 small zucchini
- 2 cups chicken breast (or lean hamburger) cooked and diced
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can 98% fat free cream of chicken soup (or 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup)
- 12 saltine crackers, crushed
- 2 tablespoons I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light
- 1 cup no-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Vegetable spray, like Pam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9" x 13" pan with vegetable spray. Melt the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and mix in the crushed crackers. Set aside.Slice and cook the zucchini until tender. Drain.Spray a large pan with vegetable spray. Saute onion and garlic until tender. Add chicken, soup and drained zucchini.Pour mixture into the prepared pan. Top with shredded cheese. Sprinkle on the prepared cracker crumbs.Bake for 30 minutes.
12. Chicken Tacos
Weight Watchers+ 6 points
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Vegetable oil, like Pam
- 1 (10 oz.) chicken breast,cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning, (1/2 package)
- 4 Mission Carb Balance flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded no-fat cheddar cheese
- Spray a medium pan with vegetable spray. Saute the onion until tender. Add the chicken; cook over medium heat until chicken is cooked through. Add the taco seasoning and a little water; simmer on low for a minute, stirring until chicken is coated.Heat the tortillas in the microwave for 15 seconds or until heated.Working with one tortilla at a time, spread 2 tablespoons refried beans down the center of the tortilla. Add 1/4 of the chicken mixture and 1/4 cup cheddar cheese.Serve with lettuce, tomato, green chilies, fat-free sour cream, salsa or taco sauce.
13. Personal Pan Pizza
Super easy and super delicious!
- 1 Mission Carb Balance flour tortilla (2 points)
- Pasta sauce
- Pizza seasoning
- No stick spray
- Choose one of the following (1point):
- 1 oz. or 1/4 cup cubed ham or
- 1 oz. or 1/4 cup cubed white meat chicken or
- 1 oz. or 1/4 cup cubed white meat turkey or
- 8 slices turkey pepperoni
- Choose one of the following:
- 1/4 cup fat free shredded cheese (1 point)
- 1/4 cup low fat shredded cheese (2 points)
- Spray a frying pan with no-stick spray. Heat one side of the tortilla over med-hi heat, turn over, spoon pasta sauce over the tortilla. Add shredded cheese, meat and seasoning. Pizza is done when the cheese starts to melt and the pizza is heated through.
14. Crispy Baked Egg Rolls
Serves: 1 eggroll=3 PointsPlus
- 16 oz. bag coleslaw mix
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can water chestnuts, drained
- 3 tablespoons cold chicken broth (can make with chicken boullion)
- 3 drops hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 cup tiny shrimp, or chicken breast, or diced pork loin
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 20 egg roll wrappers
- Cooking spray like Pam
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.Spray a large wok or large frying pan with cooking spray and place over medium high heat. Add coleslaw, onion, water chestnuts, hot sauce, soy sauce, and choice of shrimp, chicken or pork. Stir fry for two minutes, until the coleslaw is wilted. Mix the cornstarch with the cold chicken broth and add. Stir for another minute or until the sauce has thickened.Spray a jelly roll pan with the cooking spray. Place 1/4 cup on the coleslaw mixture in the middle of an egg roll wrapper, turned like a diamond.Fold the bottom corner up, over the filling. Fold in the two sides, then roll upwards. Put a dab of water on the corner to help it stick. Place the roll, seam down, onto the sprayed pan. Repeat until you have made all the egg rolls. The egg rolls can be close, but not touching on the pan. Spray the tops with cooking spray and bake for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, turn them over and bake an additional 15 minutes or until golden brown. Makes 20 egg rolls. Serve with Sweet and Sour Sauce.
Sweet and Sour Sauce= 0 PointsPlus
Drain one 8 oz. can pineapple tidbits (canned in their own juice), measure the juice to make 1 cup, (eat the tidbits).
1/3 cup white vinegar
6 T. white sugar Splenda
6 T. brown sugar Splenda
5 T. tomato paste or tomato sauce
1 T. soy sauce
1 1/2 T. cornstarch, mixed with a small amount of cold water
Red food coloring
In a small pan over medium heat, mix together the pineapple juice, sugars, tomato paste and soy sauce. Simmer 12 minutes, then add the cornstarch mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally for another 12 minutes or until the mixture reaches the desired consistency. Add a few drops of red food coloring--for looks. Cool.
the fourth step
You can purchase, inexpensively, a PointPlus calculator. That alone is worth the cost of the program in my estimation. This little piece of art will calculate for you the number of points in a serving, from any Nutrition Facts label. So you are able to figure the points per serving of any recipe you use.
I use the calculator when I'm shopping to find the best product with the least points per serving. Then when I get home I write the per serving points number on the container.
Therefore, I know the points of the wraps I buy, and how many points per serving the turkey pepperoni slices are without having to recalculate every time I use the product. I think we are really lucky to have so many low fat, no fat, sugarless products to chose from.
I realize that there are folks out there who wouldn't touch anything made using the no calorie sweeteners, but I love Splenda granulated sweetener. I use it for baking, both the white Splenda and the brown sugar Splenda. You measure it cup-for-cup like sugar. I find that you can use a little less of the Splenda and get as much sweetness as sugar.
15. Baked Chicken Chimichangas
Serves: 8 Servings
- Weight Watchers + 6 points
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Vegetable spray, like Pam
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups chicken breast, cooked and cube
- 8 (8 inch) Mission Carb Balance flour tortilla
- 1 cup refried beans
- Spray a large pan with vegetable spray, over medium heat, saute onion and garlic until tender. Stir in salsa, chili powder, cinnamon and salt. Fold in chicken and remove from heat. Set aside.Working with one tortilla at a time, spoon 2 tablespoons refried beans down the center of the tortilla. Top with a scant 1/2 cup chicken mixture. Fold in the sides of the tortilla , then roll up. Place in a vegetable sprayed 9" x 13" pan, seam side down.Spray all the chimichangas with a light coating of vegetable spray.Bake in a 450 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.Serve on a bed of lettuce. Dot with salsa and no-fat sour cream.
16. Strawberry Angel Dessert WW+ 3 points
Just 3 points for a taste of heaven. You and your family will love this dessert and it's so easy to make. Go to Strawberry Angel Dessert for a pictured step by step recipe.
17. Baked Onion Rings
I like Vidallia onions best, but you can use any kind of onion.
Serves: two 1 serving= 2 PointPlus
- 1 medium onion, sliced into 1/4 inch rings
- 2 cups low fat buttermilk
- 3/4 cups Italian Style bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup crushed corn flakes
- salt, to taste
- cooking spray (like Pam)
- Place the onion rings in a shallow dish and cover with the buttermilk. Let them soak a couple of hours (overnight will not hurt them) in the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray two cookie sheets with cooking spray.Combine the bread crumbs, crushed corn flakes and salt in a deep dish. Dip each of the onion rings into the bread crumb mixture, coat well and place on the cookie sheet in a single layer. Spray the top of the onion rings with the cooking spray. Bake about 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately. Dip in fat-free ranch dressing or catsup.
What To Expect
at the meetings
At the weekly meetings, you first weigh-in so you know how much weight you lost since the last meeting. Don't be discouraged if some weeks you drop less than half a pound. You didn't gain it all in a couple of weeks and you won't lose it all in a couple of weeks.
It is so much better if you lose consistently, even if it isn't a lot. It's better to lose a little and have it gone, than to lose a lot and find it back the next week. Even that can happen sometimes, it may be because you didn't count your points or it could be that you ate something that is causing you to hold fluid.
The leader asks open-end questions that encourage folks to contribute to a discussion on what helped them lose that week. It may be a recipe that someone has tried, loved and is sharing. Or some new product or food that they've tried. We talk about the struggles we face and about how we can overcome these struggles.
This sharing is a motivation for the week. It's surprising how much it helps knowing you are not alone in the struggle---others know exactly what it's like and are as determined as you are to reach their goal to good health.
18. Self Crust Banana Pie Weight Watchers + = 2 points
This is very tasty the way it is, but you can sprinkle a few chopped nuts over the pie and serve with No-Fat Cool Whip. Depending on how many nuts are added, you may have to add a point for WW count.
Serves: 8 servings
- 2 eggs
- 4 bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup white Splenda
- 1/3 cup brown sugar Splenda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup Fat-Free Half & Half
- Mix all the ingredients together with a whisk and pour into a 9" pie pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool and refrigerate.
19. Sauteed Cabbage Delight
Recipe by SparkPeople user NEP2NFLY You can eat this without guilt---0 PointsPlus.
Serves: 8 Servings one serving=0PointPlus
- 1 head cabbage, shredded (or one package shredded cabbage)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (or use bottled garlic)
- 1/2 teaspoon (or to your taste) red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onion in the olive oil in a large skillet or wok on med-high temperature.When onion is transluscent, add garlic and then cabbage and seasonings.Simmer on med-high rotating the cabbage top to bottom in pan every few minutes.Cook til the cabbage is soft with a touch of crispness, or to your liking. About 10-12 minutes.
20. Cheesy Chicken Pasta
- WW. Points+ 6 per serving
- 1 pkg. No-Yolk noodles
- 1 pkg. broccoli florets OR 1 pkg spinach,defrosted, drained and squeezed
- 1 Tablespoon Country Crock Lite spread
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups No Fat Half & Half
- 2 cups skim milk skim milk
- 1/4 cup flour flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/4 cup no-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- Vegetable spray (like Pam)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9"x12" pan with vegetable spray.Cook the noodles according to package directions. During the last three minutes, add the broccoli and continue cooking for three minutes. Drain.Melt the spread in a large skillet and brown the chicken pieces. Add the onions and continue cooking until the onions turn translucent. Add the mushrooms and stir.In a medium bowl, whisk together the Half & Half, skim milk, flour, salt and pepper. Stir into the skillet of chicken, onions and mushrooms. Cook at reduced heat until thickened, stirring occasionally. This will take about 5-7 minutes. Add the cheddar cheese and stir.Place the noodles in the prepared pan. Pour the chicken sauce mixture over the noodles and toss to coat.Bake about 20 minutes.
Follow the USDA's My Plate plan for eating healthy.
These are also Weight Watchers recommendations.1. Portion Control, 2. FF or lowfat milk (1% or skim), 3. Fill half of your plate with vegetables and fruits, 4. Drink more water, 5. Eat lean proteins, 6. Eat whole grains, 7. Foods should be low sodium, low fat, and sugar free,
Add some activities
Click on the plate to go to the USDA MyPlate website
21. Mexican Crustless Spinach Quiche
Serves: 6 servings 1 serving=3 PointPlus
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 oz. frozen spinach, thawed and water squeezed out
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/3 cup non fat Half & Half
- 1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican blend cheese
- 1/4 cup bacon bits
- spray cooking oil (like Pam)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 9" pie pan with cooking oil.Spray a medium sized frying pan with cooking oil and cook the diced onion til translucent and tender. Add spinach and stir.In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper and bacon bits. Whisk in the Half & Half, then stir in the spinach/onion mixture. Pour into the prepared pie pan and top with the cheese.Bake for about 25 minutes or until the center is set and the outside is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes, cut and serve with salsa.
List of Basic Ingredients and Seasonings
Things You May Have On Hand
- taco seasoning
- chili powder
- pumpkin pie spice
- Parmesan cheese
- Perfect Pinch Garlic & Herb (salt free)
- pizza seasoning
- red pepper flakes
- baking powder
- cayenne pepper
- bacon bits
- corn starch
- red food coloring
- cooking spray
- Splenda white sugar substitute
- Splenda brown sugar substitute
- white flour
- fat-free mayonnaise
- Dijon-style mustard
- NO-YOLK noodles
- smooth peanut butter
- saltine crackers
- soy sauce
- olive oil
List of canned goods and special ingredients
needed for recipes on this lens
- black beans
- kidney beans
- tomato sauce
- diced tomato with green chillis
- pumpkin pie filling
- pineapple tidbits, canned in its own juice
- mandarin oranges, canned in its own juice
- Ragu Cheesy (Light Parmeson Alfredo) sauce
- 98 % fat free Cream of Chicken soup
- refried beans
- pasta sauce
- water chestnuts
- chicken broth or chicken boullion cubes (to make broth)
- Chocolate sugar free, instant pudding mix
- Butterscotch sugar free, instant pudding mix
- Rice Krispies
- mini marshmallows
- Italian style bread crumbs
- Mission Carb Balance flour tortillas
- egg roll wrappers
- corn flakes
List of Fresh and Frozen Fruits and Vegetables
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
Refrigerated and Frozen Foods:
- Land O Lakes Fresh Buttery Taste spread
- NO-FAT Half & Half
- No-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- turkey pepperoni
- cole slaw mix
- low-fat buttermilk
- low-fat Mexican blend cheese
- Cool Whip Light
- chicken breasts
- fully cooked crab meat
- frozen corn
- frozen peas
- frozen spinach
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables:
- potatoes (russet or yukon)
- garlic cloves or minced garlic in a jar
- chilii peppers (optional)
- fresh cilantro (optonal)
© 2011 Loraine Brummer